Filstar XP1 Leaking!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
krazykidd86
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
Exclamation

Filstar XP1 Leaking!

Crap people! I just bought a Filstar XP1 for my 20 gal from Petsmart for $54.59 pricematch with the drsfosterandsmith.com price, WHOOT! but here lies a problem.

I set it up last night, all things system go. no leaks. Woke up this morning, and found a nice 1-2 gallon puddle of water on my tile floor! EEKS! I thought a hose popped off, but noooo..I found the oddest source of the leak at the cord outlet on the lid! The leak is like 1 drip per 2 seconds. I now shut the darn thing off, refastened the lid. And now no drips, but I'm gonna check back in an hour or two, b/c last night no drips, but suddenly BAMN! Anyone know if this is a recurring problem, and how to fix?

I bought an Eheim 2213, zero noise. No leaks. I bought Flistar XP1 for my parents house, b/c I wanted to try pricematch stuff, and also to compare rena vs Eheim. I actually like both. Pros about Eheim is zero noise, con: lower flow rate. Pros on Rena: high flow, maybe leaky? Cons: slight humming sound (a little louder than a computer hum).

I'm gonna go back to petsmart, and price match the XP2 for my sister's 29 gallon. $67.49 at the drsfosterandsmith.com. Anyone have a link to better price than that?
krazykidd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
fishyface
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i've got 3 filstar xp's and have found this a common problem...not too bad if you keep an eye on it and know that it may just happen to you. what happens is that if the input/output hose assembly isn't sitting quite right in the top motor assembly it leaks and fills that section, to which the only place left for the water to go out is that hole the cord comes from. worst thing is that it usually takes about 1/2 hr to slowly fill, thus giving you a false sense of security then K-POW! seepage! something you can try that i found helps is to get a little silicone lubricant, from a dive shop for instance and lube the o-rings where the connection is. makes for a better seal and less likely to come home or wake up to a flood zone!

good luck
fishyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I have also found this to happen if you over fill the canister when setting up the filter. Also if the output is blocked or restricted it can happen.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I mentioned this problem a looong time ago last year when I USED to have an XP3...to all you Filstar Pimps...expect it...hence why I made the investment in Eheim!!!

Sorry to hear about the mess. The first time it happened I called Big Als and they sent me a new one free of charge with a return label for the old one. Then it started happening to the new one too....so got rid of that.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
krazykidd86
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay since, this morning no leaks! Yeah! But kinda discouraging information you guys posted on the filstars. I'm still not ruling out the filstars quite yet, but if it happens again soon xp1 goes to no ebay links allowed haha. I guess everytime I setup the filter, I'll watch it for about an hour or two to make sure no leaks. I wish I had complete piece of mind with this filter, but oh wells.

I got an Xp2 price matched @ petsmart with the doctor foster and smith price. I'm gonna set it up at my sisters place with caution. I'll just watch it for a bit.

If the either the XP1 or XP2 leaks, i'll try what rexgriggs suggests, and take out some othe the media. Right now the XP1 just has what it comes with in the box, 2 gray foam pads, biozorb, white cotton stuff. I'll take out biozorb and replace it with ceramic pieces as soon as my water clears up a bit.

Thanks for the help guys. At least I know my filstar XP1 wasn't defective, just part of the territory.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
fishyface
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykidd86
I'll watch it for about an hour or two to make sure no leaks. I wish I had complete piece of mind with this filter, but oh wells.[/B]
if it isn't leaking within 1/2hr- 1hr it won't untill next time you remove the hoses.
fishyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

weird...used my XP2 for over 18 months, and it's never leaked a drop.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

XP3 ~2yrs old never had a problem here.
dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I have also found this to happen if you over fill the canister when setting up the filter.
Well in the instructions they even say not to fill the canister with the lid off. That would solve that much of the problem.... RTFM
Old 08-27-2005, 12:20 AM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

The reason they say that is it's very easy for the filter baskets to get out of alignment and then when you try and clamp the top on it will break the latches.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:37 AM   #11
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well thatís 2 big problems that can be avoided that way.
Have ppl found the XPs to leak at the power cable even if filled the proper way?
I kind of want to know if I should keep an eye on mine, i would have ~30gal of water on the floor before It would break the siphon...

This is the first time i heard of this problem and I did a fair amount of research before I bought mine... or is this a more recent problem people have been experiencing?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #12
Voodoo
Algae Grower

I have own the xp1 for 9 months. It has never leak before. I just disconnect it, clean it, reconnect it, let it fill, and restart. Just make sure you check the rubber gasket of the quick disconnect hose before reconnect.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:44 AM   #13
krazykidd86
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since that unfortunate morning, I haven't experienced a leak with my xp1. The new xp2 did not leak either. I have reconnected the XP1 hoses about three-four times now. Still no leaks. So I still like filstar for the price, computer hum noise, and high effiency.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Werdna
Algae Grower

I have been having this issue with my XP3. I will try filling only with siphon action and update later.
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
mstamper
Algae Grower

I have 4 xp canister's. 1 - xp1, 2 xp2, & 1 xp3. I have only had one issue with the xp1 and that was because I had not seated the lid back on properly and, even though the clips latched the lid, the mis-alignment caused a leak. I was able to find it quickly. Since then I make sure all my lids are on snugly and that the power cord is no where near the latches. Not had another leak since.
40b Planted Apistogramma tank
20g Planted Apistogramma tank
16g Artificially planted Blue Crayfish / Red Cherry Shrimp tank

All this in a 2 bedroom apartment, HAHAHA

Wanna see videos of the tanks? Follow this link > http://www.youtube.com/user/markstankworld
mstamper is offline   Reply With Quote