looking to sell 100s Cory aeneus kittens upstate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

looking to sell 100s Cory aeneus kittens upstate

Hi all. I currently have ~100 Corydoras aeneus kittens ranging in size from fresh fry to ~2/3 grown. And I'm just getting started! I anticipate, at this rate, having 50-150 per month, if I hatch every egg. The problem is, what to do with them? I'm not real keen to get into shipping live fish (esp. having to guarantee live arrival). Any suggestions for outlets in the upstate (Finger Lakes) region? I've found a couple mom/pop stores who will take a few, but the big chains all deal with national wholesalers. Thanks for any advice.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The really small places won't be able to help you much, and you'll find that what they take won't even pay for the gas to get there. Honestly, I think you have two choices: search a little harder and you may find a bigger store that gets a lot more traffic and can take large quantities like you're dealing with. They aren't that easy to find anymore. Second is to face the fact that you''ll need to start selling through other venues. Aquabid comes to mind first. Spend some time looking through AB and see how most conduct business there. As the weather warms, shipping Priority works well for most cases.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you decide to ship pm me, I'm always looking for stock in the store, maybe we could work something out.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

woah, this is the cory that i am currently treating for infection. i love this guy and he is my only one. If you were open to shipping, and they do ship quite well, i would ask around the NYC area as they would only be in transit for 2 -3 days at most with priority mail. buyers are expected to pay for shipping.

I personally would pick home grown stock over farmed and wholesale anyday
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (328/99%)

If you can ever ship I'll take a group from you for my tanks.

-Gordon

gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
TheDrake
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for the encouraging feedback. Guess I need to consider shipping! A few questions for the group:
- how do you pack the fish for shipping? I assume double bag. Is room air sufficient, or do you need O2? presumably they go in a styro box inside a cardboard box? and priority (2-3 day) shipping is ok? then just avoid extremes of hot and cold weather?
- so the buyer pays shipping, but who pays if the fish die? I guess I can insure the package, but does USPS cover 100% of the fish and shipping costs, or do I eat it? do they know it's a package of live animals--do I mark that on the box or on the insurance form?

If there is a FAQ/website on the topic somewhere, feel free to redirect me. thanks.

Thanks City, I hear you. I am surprised there is not more demand for 'made in the USA' fish which I can assure you these guys are raised under 1st class conditions and eat better than I do, LOL!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
I am surprised there is not more demand for 'made in the USA' fish which I can assure you these guys are raised under 1st class conditions and eat better than I do, LOL!
I think it's a great idea to promote locally captive bred fish. They would undergo so much less stress. It would mean healthier fish. That's more important to me than owning the latest pretty fish from the other hemisphere.

Unfortunately, I am out of tank space, or I would totally hop on the bandwagon as well. Corydoras are my favorite catfish (I love to watch them trundle around the tank).
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (328/99%)

Would suggest waiting till the temperatures are in the 60's if you don't have heatpacks.
Double bag with plenty of air, only a few fish in each bag if shipping via priority, you don't want them to die. Holding them for 24 hours in a clean tank without food helps prevent ammonia build up in the bag.

Styro insulation works. Fish should be fine for 24-30 hours in the bag depending on the number of fish even without o2. I would suggest shipping the smaller ones over adults.

It would be 2 days maximum shipping to anyone in New York, same for Conneticut/Mass.

If you get breather bags you can ship a few fish in each bag.
Again, smaller the fish the less o2 they require.

Buyer would pay for the shipping, you would pay if the fish dies.
No insurance on live arrival of Fish. You would get your money back if the package gets lost though.

Its still too cold out to ship without a heatpack. If you can ship carefully in the spring (2-3 weeks till temperature levels off) I'd be interested in grabbing some if they aren't too expensive.

I think you will have no issue finding buyers!

-Gordon

-Gordon

gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hey TheDrake,

Here are some pix of a box of flag fish and bolivian rams I got from a dude in Florida. The bags are Kordon breather bags which you can find online easily enough (AB). You already have some good advice on heat packs, etc. Fairmount Aquarium will trade for credit. I think Tom gives 1/3 retail for fish. You can always call him and ask. He won't take fry though - they need to be at least half grown before he'll deal. There is also MVP on AB that sells nitrofuracin, which is a good addition but not absolutely required for the bag water. Here ya go:

http://imgur.com/a/AeD3L#0

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ons&1365044448

PS - how the #!$#!!! do you keep your vesuvius rooted! I spent 2 hours in my tank last night and they were all nice and comfy, and this morning I look and every*stinking*one of them is floating!! LOL....grrr... I assume the crowns need to be above the substrate, right?
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
TheDrake
Planted Member

You guys really got me seriously considering it! I looked into the breather bags. They are almost $1 each now. Plus, the benefit of them is you don't have to have air in the bag (less sloshing) EXCEPT for air-breathing fish like cories, so that wouldn't work for me. How do people do insulated boxes--do you get something already as a unit (molded styro in custom-fit cardboard) and if so do you order that online or are there some local sources? Or do you just construct your own by cutting styro to fit in whatever cardboard box? Ughh, starting to sound like work... I found online where one shipper does the tracking so he knows to the minute when the package is delivered, and any DOAs are void unless he gets an email within 2 hrs of delivery. That email must include a photo of the DOA in the unopened bag and another, out of bag, with the tail cut off. Gruesome, but I guess he must have had people sending still photos of live fish as if they were dead? Again, starting to sound like work, lol!

Moose, thanks for the tip on Fairmount. Unfortunately, it'd probably cost me more in gas to get there than I'd make on fish, as Bushkill said earlier. And store credit is not so nice as cash! Oh, I don't have any trouble keeping the vesuvius parents down--my problem is with the runners wanting to grow up and out at ~45o angle. The only place they aren't doing that is under a spotlight, so maybe it is a lower light thing? Not sure about your parent plants though. Maybe they are tasty and one of your residents is pulling them up? Maybe try running the roots sideways with a small rock over them, at least until they take hold.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
koldsoup
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Hmm I shipped cories in breather bags before. For the styrofoam, it is quite a bit of work. I buy large sheets from Home Depot and cut them myself. It gets messy too... You can also order USPS boxes and delivered to your home at no charge.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Check out aquadesigninnovations.com (ADI) for those Kordon bags, they sell them for 40 cents each or so. SHipping fish seems daunting at first but it really isn't all that bad once you get your routine down. Good luck!
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

Hi,

I'm a habitual livestock buyer online and have recieved packages of varying degrees of elegance or crudeness.

Gordon makes a good point about purging the livestock 24-48 hours prior to shipment as it would minimize the waste released in transit.

Boxes ought to be insulated with things like the blown insulation from a home store or styrofoam lining the interior of the box, basic layering with news paper or even several layers of plastic bags (for plants only). The focus is to provide protection from shock and temperatures.

Home hobbyists have send the best plant packages while the worst come from those who sell plants for a living while having stems and leaves are broken from compaction or shock in transit. The point is, its all do-able so long as you figure out what works best for you.

If i were to ship fish, i would :
get a large kordon breather bag
fill the water to about 60% (leaving enough slack to tie the bag
insert livestock
insert filler (moss, soft filter floss or something to provide security for the fish)
tie bag, tap the corners of the bag to prevent anything from getting stuck or crushed at the tips
wrap the kordon bag in paper towel
wrap the paper towel bundle in newspaper
place in the shipping box
line the sides of the box with news paper or equivalent to eliminate empty space in the box.

Result: The box itself should feel dense and solid without any loose items shifting within.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

My exact shipping methods which I've never lost anything using:
3/4" styrofoam insulation
Foam insulation
Kordon breather bags (I do NOT tie them, I use an impulse sealer)
I do not package with moss, I use either spawning mops or filter floss
I dose all bags with a 1/4 dosage of stress coat.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.