Water change frequency
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Water change frequency

I usually do a 50% WC on my 15 gallon every week. If I were to take every thing in my current tank and put it in a 30 gallon tank would I still need to do 50% WC every week or can I get away with may be a 25% WC?
mfurufuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Water change frequency

We need more info on your water parameters, inhabitants,plant mass, lighting, fert schedule etc.

Personally I don't believe in water changes. But depending on experience with planted tanks you should not just stop wc's. It's a little bit complicated. If you're interested in details feel free to pm me.

So let's here about your tank!
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Water change frequency

Amo 0
Nitrite0
Nitrate 10
Paintball co2
Moderately planted
Dual hob ac20
Pressurized co2 lights on 6 hours
12 green neons
2 black phantom tetra (probably won't be moves to the 30)
2 oto
1 SAE
Flourite substrate
Complete Seachem line dosage per seachem chart
Tank is about 1 year old
mfurufuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 36 gallon planted tank I water change 25% every week and filter clean every two weeks.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Water Change schedule should be determined by your readings. Determine what your highest acceptable Nitrate reading is (30ppm) and when you achieve it, perform a water change (whatever % you want) and test daily until you again reach your highest Nitrate reading. You now have determined your water change schedule. Should it be once a day or once every two months it does not really matter. I try and do another test once every year to re analyze the schedule or should anything significant occur in the tank that might upset the numbers.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
Water Change schedule should be determined by your readings. Determine what your highest acceptable Nitrate reading is (30ppm) and when you achieve it, perform a water change (whatever % you want) and test daily until you again reach your highest Nitrate reading. You now have determined your water change schedule. Should it be once a day or once every two months it does not really matter. I try and do another test once every year to re analyze the schedule or should anything significant occur in the tank that might upset the numbers.
Or you could achieve 30ppm, then do a 50%. Assuming no nitrate in your water source, you will now have 15ppm.

In my experience, I will never hit 30ppm because of the plants. I do water changes to prevent excessive build up of other untestable compounds.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Water Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurufuru View Post
I usually do a 50% WC on my 15 gallon every week. If I were to take every thing in my current tank and put it in a 30 gallon tank would I still need to do 50% WC every week or can I get away with may be a 25% WC?
Hello m...

Stick with the 50 percent weekly water changes. If you change half the water every week, you won't need to even test the tank water. Large, weekly water changes of at least 50 percent will guarantee stable water conditions, because a week isn't enough time for nitrogen to build up in the water and hurt your fish, before your next weekly change.

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the tank.

B
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I only gave 30 ppm as an example, usually in planted tanks you want to maintain a constant Nitrate level for plants from about 5-20ppm. Assuming a small buildup and test range amounts (Most test kits only list 20 & 30) that would be your uppermost amount you wish to have and thus perform a water change. A 50% would reduce your amount to 15ppm (or around that amount depending on a variety of factors) . A more rapid buildup might signify needing to clean filters of detritus or an accumulation of larger wastes in the aquarium. The time frame for water changes is really inconsequential. Many breeders perform 100% daily. We keep many puffers and their sensitivity to excessive Nitrates, especially in a planted tank enviroment can be a very thin line and managed carefully. Water changes are very good for the livestock in the aquarium, but performing too many can reduce your Nitrates and cause algae outbreaks and plant defeciencies.