checkerboard cichlid and nitrates
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
starquestMM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

checkerboard cichlid and nitrates

A lot of the online info for checkerboards says they are very intolerant of nitrates. There are lot of posts here and elsewhere about keeping them in a planted tank, which has to have nitrates.

So what gives? Do they tolerate a certain level, say 10ppm? Are they going to die above 30ppm? Anybody have any experience with this?
starquestMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I found this article to be pretty spot on if you havnt read it yet

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...lamentosus.htm

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=221

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=131
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
starquestMM
Algae Grower

I had read the first one and it says 0 nitrates. Maybe they are implying to use only root feeders and not to dose the watercolumn?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have seen them in a few stores that I know have Nitrate issues (30+ at least) and they always did fine. I would say allow it to increase to 10 and just watch them closely. The few the store had never would sell and they had them for months on end and I think no one else noticed them. Very cool little cichlid and always wanted to do a blackwater biotope tank with them as the centerpiece...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i believe the main point regarding low/no nitrates really pertains to successfully breeding them more so than just keeping them. especially with wilds. also different species of checkerboards I believe are more sensitive, again especially wilds.
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Ok thanks, I feel more comfortable now. It would be nice to breed them, but its a community tank so thats going to be tough anyway.

If I have problems, I guess I could go to daily dosing a smaller amount of ferts so the nitrate spikes won't be so high.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I believe Tom have/had these in his s. repens tank dosing full fledged EI.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you'll be fine, just give it a try and see how they react. The specimens at the store were tossed in numerous tanks with a mix of different things and I actually expected to not see them the next time I went in and they were eventually sold almost a year later. I think it was seeing them do that well in that shaky of conditions that made me really look at them as a viable option. Their Apistos and discus did not fare nearly as well. I'm sure they were in our normal tap water at a Ph of 8.0+... Really amazing little fish. Post up pics if you get some, love seeing them!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestMM View Post
Ok thanks, I feel more comfortable now. It would be nice to breed them, but its a community tank so thats going to be tough anyway.

If I have problems, I guess I could go to daily dosing a smaller amount of ferts so the nitrate spikes won't be so high.
A well filtered, well maintained (weekly WC if dosing) tank will suit them just fine. If I were to guess I'd say a stable pH is more important for them than worrying about no3, esp in a planted setup. oak leaves, IAL's etc will be appreciated, both for params and other beneficial properties. they like planted tanks, and some driftwood will make them feel more at home. Seeing the courting and parental care in a comm tank is a sight to see, its raising the wigglers and fry that is the tricky part.

What type of Checkerboards are you referring to?
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
LB79
Wannabe Guru

They're tough once acclimated. Just keep everything stable.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
A well filtered, well maintained (weekly WC if dosing) tank will suit them just fine. If I were to guess I'd say a stable pH is more important for them than worrying about no3, esp in a planted setup. oak leaves, IAL's etc will be appreciated, both for params and other beneficial properties. they like planted tanks, and some driftwood will make them feel more at home. Seeing the courting and parental care in a comm tank is a sight to see, its raising the wigglers and fry that is the tricky part.

What type of Checkerboards are you referring to?
Dicrossus filamentosus. I set up this 40b with the goal to house dwarfs of some type and with warmer weather its time to choose I was leaning towards opals, but I am going to go ahead and try the checkerboards. I will get some IAL.

I've never gotten any of the smaller cichlids to spawn. I've had double reds and two types of shell dwellers with no luck. Bigger cichlids like Jack dempseys and blue haps wouldn't stop spawning on the other hand, but the behavior just isn't as interesting...
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestMM View Post
Dicrossus filamentosus. I set up this 40b with the goal to house dwarfs of some type and with warmer weather its time to choose I was leaning towards opals, but I am going to go ahead and try the checkerboards. I will get some IAL.

I've never gotten any of the smaller cichlids to spawn. I've had double reds and two types of shell dwellers with no luck. Bigger cichlids like Jack dempseys and blue haps wouldn't stop spawning on the other hand, but the behavior just isn't as interesting...
ahh my experience is with dicrossus maculatus. although basically the same other than the males tail. also i do believe i've read the fils can be more sensitive to params.....no3 etc...especially with breeding. but im still a noob so take my advice with a grain of salt

they really are interesting fish. in a 40b you could easily do 6 or more in a harem. i would also recommend the maculatus if you can find them, ime had success with them breeding in a planted setup....lost my fry though .

could share a pic or vid of mine if youd like, very underrated fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.