12 Gallon Fluval Edge LED requirement
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Todster13

PTrader: (0/0%)

12 Gallon Fluval Edge LED requirement

Evening All,

I would like to apologise first of all because I am aware similar questions have been asked many times before but I can't find a definitive answer to my specific question...

I have recently purchased a 12 gallon fluval edge (currently undergoing a fishless cycle) and have read that the standard LEDs are not sufficient for a planted tank so I want to upgrade! My problem is however, I have the choice between 6x3W, 9x3W and 12x3W for a unit that I can fit in the hood of the edge without altering its appearance. Each has a fairly significant price rise from the last and I'm wondering is 12 3watt LEDs overkill for such a tank? My goal is to finally grow a decent looking carpeting plant (tried before and failed) among others. I want to do it right but I don't want to pay over the odds as I'm sure you will all understand.

Thanks,
James.
Todster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
prestonplantedtanks
Algae Grower

It's a pretty tall tank, but 6x3W should be plenty... I use the fluval edge's standard LEDs + 5x3W for my reef tank.
prestonplantedtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Todster13

thank you for the reply.

Are you able to grow SPS under that lighting? I don't know whether carpeting plants that require high light would need a similar strength light to SPS?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Todster13

Anyone? The seller has recommended 36w does this seem like overkill?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
David P.
Algae Grower

hi,
i currently have a planted Fulval edge 12 gal with the LED that comes with it. plants are doing fine, i have java moss, java ferne, a few random stem plants and crypt.
i tried to grow Dwarfhair grass, did work well, it maintains its self alive... not really growing. Probably that for carpet plant, LED are too weak considering depht of the tank.

i guess it all depends on types of plants you want
David P. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Todster13

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately a good carpeting plant is the primary objective. I have used a nutrient rich substrate and will be dosing CO2 and ferts, I just don't want to pay over the odds for wattage that I don't necessarily need.. Surely only a certain amount of light can be used in such a small footprint and the rest would be surplus to requirements?

I don't really understand how LEDs relate to the watts per gallon rule...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
JoeD
Algae Grower

Default 12 Gallon Fluval Edge LED requirement

My Edge 12 is up and running for 2 months. I installed an EBay "Fluval Edge Super Bright LED System" modification. I am uncertain of the wattage of this unit, it mounts on the outside of the cover.

Could you please let me know your
choice/source for the LEDs you mentioned.

My tank is moderately planted - has a Stratum and gravel substrate planted with Vallisneria, (Spiralis / Americana / Nana) – Lloydiella - Dawf Sagittaria - Cyperus Helferi - Amazon Sword. Most are growing slowly. I tried Glossostigma Elatinoides without success (melting - I'm not running CO2). I dose Excel and Envy twice weekly.

The tank was the impetus getting me into this hobby. I call it the "torture tank" as it makes everything more difficult, but I love it. I have 12 Three Spot Tetras (Paraguay's) and they work the tank well.

Last edited by JoeD; 04-08-2013 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: omission
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.