Homemade fish food.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Homemade fish food.

I have read that you need to give plecos and other bottom feeders a variety of foods so I'm thinking I could make a batch of homemade food with the following veggies spinach, zucchini, carrots, peas, beans, algae wafers, tropical tablets. I could add some blood worms for protein do not know what else to add for protein.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what else I could add or is it good the way it is. I have made this before and still have some left just thought I would make some fresh. When I feed it everybody in the tank has to see who can get to it first, they do not even wait for it to sink even my shrimp like it.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Sounds healthy to me Check into Spirulina (algae), might already be part of the algae wafers.

How do you process the food? How do you keep it from making a huge cloudy mess when feeding? That's what's nice about something like the Repashy stuff, where some gelatin keeps it all together.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

You can get super nutritious seaweed at an asian grocery store.
You can pick up a bag of agar to bind the process foods too. Add water and microwave should do it.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is made with gelatin. I just cooked the veggies then liquefied them in the blender. Blended the algae wafers and other fish foods into a powder then add to the veggie mix stirring till well mixed then add the gelatin. Spread out onto a flat surface and place in the fridge till set then cut up into what ever size pieces you want.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
papwalker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whilst having some nice flathead (Platycephalus fuscus) for dinner, I wondered if they would eat it. So I snipped off some tiny pieces of thawed flathead and dropped them in.
Bedlam and mayhem.
So you could always buy a small piece of fish, grind it up and add to the vege mix.

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have feed my new homemade food a few times now and boy do my fishes like it. The neon's and white clouds really like it they get such big belly's cause they big out. Wish I had a good enough camera so I could take a picture of them.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mustard spot pleco,Three bristlenose pleco's,clown pleco,pitbull pleco,all eat New life spectrum large pellet's.
Contain's all the vegetable matter they need plus krill,herring,squid meal for protein.
Cory's eat New life spectrum small pellet's mixed with shrimp pellet's.
Making your own food is fun ,but I'm lazy, and just offer food's that already have the content needed.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
mcfly84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would probably ditch the tablets and waffers as what you'd like to put probably already accomodates this.

Search: A Trip down memory road and check out the rainbows we had.

My stepdad used to make his own. He'd buy fresh produce only(nothing canned) peas deshell them, he'd also buy a big thing of frozen bloodworms, spinach, and chicken livers(drain the tub), high quality seaweed for the yellow bristle nose and otto's as well as a teaspoon of minced garlic and he'd use geletain mix(cook it up before adding) for a binder mix it all up in the blinder adding the pea's last and just hitting the pulse button a few times after adding them. This would make about 2 1 gallon ziploc bags worth pressed out to about 1/8"-1/4" thick. Stick in freezer and break off as much is required for feeding.
mcfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.