Marineland Aquatic Plant LED
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Skunky
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southwestern NY
Posts: 19
Default

Marineland Aquatic Plant LED


I got this sent to me by the Marineland folks because the lighting system that came with my tank quit.

I assumed it was a high light system but after doing some reading, I'm confused. I can't find much info for my light set. What I did find in here did not include this particular light system.

If anyone can tell me if it is medium or high, I'd be very appreciative. I've attached 2 pages from the document that came with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED PAR002.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	117722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED PAR001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	117738  

Skunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WheeledGoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 324
Default

First I'll have to disclose my bias since I bought this light myself, and my ego can't help but seek affirmation of my decision. (I had also looked at Finnex, which are really great fixtures - but here's why I made the decision I did.)

I'm pretty sure this light would be considered "high" light. I've seen it used on plant tank displays in two LFS.

Also, if you look at those PAR numbers you posted, it's UP there when compared with other LED fixtures! Especially at depth. A big difference between the Finnex and this fixture is that Marineland uses fewer, bigger LED's, while Finnex uses a lot of smaller ones. I believe this is what contributes to better depth penetration by the Marineland fixtures. (it also makes for a more pronounced shimmer effect, which I dig lots).

I can attest to this light happily growing everything I've thrown at it. Next I'm gonna try some glossostigma, and I have zero doubt it will at least live. I expect it to grow like crazy.

I will say that you shouldn't go with it unless you're ready to go down the co2 road (or only run your light 6 hours a day). I had planned to "eventually" do co2, but this light is forcing me to do it now - it's so effective that my tank is out of balance now and I need to step up the ferts and co2 to meet it (or change my name to Algae Farmer).
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,398
Default Re: Marineland Aquatic Plant LED

The only thing is.. Light is super high directly under the fixture, but drops big time 6" away from center. But in a 12" - 18" wide tank your mostly in high light except the very fringes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Skunky
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southwestern NY
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks for your reply WheeledGoat!

I think my post was not very clear. I actually have this light system. I had the Marineland all-in-one setup originally. The filter and light were built into the hood. After about one month, the light burned out. I called them and was told that they couldn't replace the light because R&D was not going to do any research and development to fix it. Apparently they didn't think the design of the unit was worthy.

I protested at length because I had many plants in there with no light and the thing was under warranty. He told me the light was not meant for growing plants, so they couldn't do anything. I told him to look on their website to read that it is advertised for growing plants.

He sent me this light, a glass top, and a Penguin filter. You got a good price for yours. But mine is better

The reason I posted the specs and asked about the quality of the output is because I've been reading reviews of Marineland lights and it seems they are not rated as high light.

After having this on my plants for about 3 months, I developed a huge algae problem! I'm fighting it every day. I just got a co2 kit going, so maybe that will help. I had not planned to go high tech with this aquarium, but I'm kind of forced to.

I hope you have good luck with yours. I love the review you did, and I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I agree that it is a really fine light. I, too, love the shimmer effect.

My biggest problem now is that my tap water is high in nitrates. After talking with people on the Aquarium Advice forum, I'm thinking I'll now have to get an RO system for my tap. I do not want to spend any more money, though.
Skunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WheeledGoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
The only thing is.. Light is super high directly under the fixture, but drops big time 6" away from center. But in a 12" - 18" wide tank your mostly in high light except the very fringes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
true dat. if I had any wider of a tank, I don't think I'd be as happy with this marineland... I think that's where finnex would take over - those little buggers are so ridiculously thin, you could space them out however you like and keep adding as many as you like!
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WheeledGoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
I think my post was not very clear. I actually have this light system. I had the Marineland all-in-one setup originally. The filter and light were built into the hood. After about one month, the light burned out. I called them and was told that they couldn't replace the light because R&D was not going to do any research and development to fix it. Apparently they didn't think the design of the unit was worthy.

I protested at length because I had many plants in there with no light and the thing was under warranty. He told me the light was not meant for growing plants, so they couldn't do anything. I told him to look on their website to read that it is advertised for growing plants.

He sent me this light, a glass top, and a Penguin filter. You got a good price for yours. But mine is better
ha haa! that's some good stuff right there. crazy that they had the light and filter all integrated in a hood - wonder who got fired for that? so much to go wrong!!

and I love them telling you that their Aquatic Plant Light is not meant for growing plants... what's it for then, puppies? typical customer service, eh? Even though it took some fighting and effort, sounds like you got a fair shake at the end.

keep us posted on the algae now that you've got the co2 going! I should have my co2 going this weekend.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Skunky
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southwestern NY
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
ha haa! that's some good stuff right there. crazy that they had the light and filter all integrated in a hood - wonder who got fired for that? so much to go wrong!!

and I love them telling you that their Aquatic Plant Light is not meant for growing plants... what's it for then, puppies? typical customer service, eh? Even though it took some fighting and effort, sounds like you got a fair shake at the end.

keep us posted on the algae now that you've got the co2 going! I should have my co2 going this weekend.
I will definitely keep you posted on the progress. So far, things are looking a bit better.
Skunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012