Floating surface skimmer for HOB - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
evilhorde
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You telling me I'm not skimming because the bottom of the slit is an inch below the water level?
You are certainly not skimming to the maximum potential of the weir (or whatever you want to call that grill in this instance).

However, that is in no way saying that you aren't skimming enough.
Thinbear's pic is a great example of what I mean. if you consider the 'hollow' spots on each. One is mostly skim, maybe 80% of the total volume is 'skim'.
The other is mostly water and only maybe 5% skim.
Perhaps a tank only needs 2% skim. In that case your grill is beyond appropriate however it is not performing as good as it could. The best skimmer would be a weir as long as possible with a waterfall as thin as possible. probably not feasible with animals in the tank, but certainly the most effective at skimming. the grill has two negative effects on the skimming abilty of the weir. By adding the vertical bars you use up half of the length of the weir and then you cause the water to back up and make the crest of the waterfall too thick, which is the opposite of what you want to accomplish.

However fish have issues with a nice smooth weir. The water is always clearer on the other side it seems that they just can't resist the temptation.

The skimmer I described further up is almost exactly what thinbear drew and works brilliantly. I haven't tried it in a fish tank (and do harbour concerns about fish jumping in) but I have used it to skim in other applications and using a 500ml beaker I had great success.

And just for a quick credential, my weir skimmer knowledge is from training I have received in watewater management.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.