Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 70
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1036
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

The tank isn't set up yet - that's just me putting the piece into my Mini M so it can grow while I get more stuff for the Mini S.

There are:

Bucephelandra (sp purple something-or-other, ask AzFishKid, he sent it to me)

Anubias Nana Petite
Bolbitus Heudelotii
Peacock Moss (top)
fissidens fontanus (bottom)
Bolbitus Heteroclita Mini (which finally, it seems, after 2-3 months of sitting in a tank, started forming new leaves, so i'm still on the fence about this plant)

I'm looking for some more bucephelandra as well, for another tank possibly.

I have to say, (not having too much experience with buce yet), I've had some great luck with the Bucephelandra on this piece of driftwood - in 4 days I've seen 4-5 new leaves form.

In terms of layout making, I'm definitely entering a heavy stem plant and epiphytic phase.

Last edited by Francis Xavier; 04-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: sentence
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #1037
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Sounds like a pretty awesome plan. I'm getting into a heavy stem and epiphyte stage myself. Mosses, too. I spent about 100 bucks sourcing plants for the 12" cube so there will be no issues of not enough plants this time around.

How do you feel about Bolbitis heteroclita vs heudelotii? I personally didn't like it all that much...

Get your buce pimp on. I want to see some density like this guy.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1038
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Normal Heteroclita gets huge - so, it's not that I don't like it, but I just don't have much use for it.

Mini Heteroclita...it takes a LONG time to grow, so in times of aquascaping - it's kind of useless unless you have a huge volume of submerged stuff to use already. That being said, I'm on the fence, I've been told a lot of things about true aquatic, not true aquatic, so on and so forth, both from trustworthy sources. So I'm just sitting on it at the moment to see how it does.

Heudelotii is just a great classic - in a nano, often trimming to keep it in line.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #1039
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Careful with those Buces Frank, they can get addicting.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #1040
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
I'd love to do a live demonstration an talk in Seattle! Petitions should be started to make this happen.
Working on it!
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1041
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Previously, I mentioned my want for a Canon 5D. However, I came across a better local deal for a 7D, and decided to go that route, as it serves the needs I am looking for, while being able to put aside for some higher quality lenses down the road.

The results are some fun:

Preparing the next project by Francis Wazeter, on Flickr

A better photograph, which shows in more detail the centerpiece for my next layout in the Mini S

Wazeter Mini Iwagumi Version 3 by Francis Wazeter, on Flickr

The full tank shot - for quality difference between the Canon Rebel and the 7D, see my last Canon Rebel shot below

Wazeter Mini Iwagumi Version 3 by Francis Wazeter, on Flickr

Canon Rebel shot

Pockets of Staurogyne grow out of the rock face by Francis Wazeter, on Flickr

I like these kinds of shots, they show a different dimension to the aquarium overall.

I tinkered with some video, which brings to light a desperate need for a tripod now. Overall, the upgrade in camera will allow a better story to be told through these aquariums, by allowing for a more accurate depiction of the scene, and for that, I am excited.

P.S. I will be trimming soon. I will have a few golfball portions of peacock moss and quite a lot of staurogyne porto velho from this layout. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to reserve it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #1042
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Nice photography!
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #1043
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice purchase, but based on the photo it looks like there was hand movement in the Rebel shot and not in the 7D shot. Unless the 7D allows you higher ISO in lower light. Are they shot with the same lens? The light gathering capability of the lens makes a big difference too.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1044
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Nice purchase, but based on the photo it looks like there was hand movement in the Rebel shot and not in the 7D shot. Unless the 7D allows you higher ISO in lower light. Are they shot with the same lens? The light gathering capability of the lens makes a big difference too.
Shot with the same lens, yes! While I did manage to learn a lot of new tricks from all the photographers at the IAPLC meeting / Urabandai tour, I make no claims as to being able to hold my hands completely steady for a shot yet! Getting better though!

The fuzziness I attribute to a little hand movement. The thing I noticed more was fish & plant detail and color (primarily fish here).
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1045
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Nice rock. I swear, next thing you know you're going to be selling pre-grown centerpieces out of the Mini M. No, that was not a business idea. Be nice.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #1046
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Nice rock. I swear, next thing you know you're going to be selling pre-grown centerpieces out of the Mini M. No, that was not a business idea. Be nice.
Hah! Well, I have to pay for the camera somehow!

And I have no idea what it is, but that Bucephelandra is growing like crazy for a week under lights compared to what I've been told to expect. It's got like 4-5 new leaves since the last time I looked at it.

Last edited by Francis Xavier; 04-04-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: stuff
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #1047
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Re: Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - It's the Season for Updates!

Go to conns for camera frank, they finance easily and have cameras.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #1048
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Easy financing is something to dread usually! Cause usually that means "ohh I can totally get MORE now!"
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #1049
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Re: Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - It's the Season for Updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Easy financing is something to dread usually! Cause usually that means "ohh I can totally get MORE now!"
Very true

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #1050
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Keep in touch, as there's a bigger update coming later today with a step-by-step.

Having rekindled my original love and gone back to the Mini S, there was just too much inspiration to not do a driftwood layout focusing on epiphytic plants and stems. Having developed an obsession for driftwood-centric styles, my gut feeling is that this particular layout is a notch above the one I'm currently working on in the 60-P.

Well, before I tell you too much about it, just check out the below image:

Mini S v1 nano aquascape stage one by Francis Wazeter, on Flickr

For step one, the hardscape is in place. In this case, I am doing things a little backwards and will add soil and sand after the initial placement of hardscape, due to my plans and the relative small size of the Mini S. I'd advise only taking this route once you have good experience and know how.

Come back by the afternoon time and there should be another update, going step-by-step.

-Frank

P.S. If you haven't subscribed yet, you should seriously consider doing so (in the top right hand corner of the top of the thread content, click on "thread tools," and then click "subscribe to this thread").

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to