The aquaplantarium (should I get one) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
thedudeabides
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ok can't figure out how to post the pics, they want a website and they are on my computer. Never said I was a computer genius.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
dasjman

PTrader: (0/0%)

You're the only one I know who has one of these. I'm really interested in them, but I've never even had a regular tank with real plants. All of mine are fake.

They look great at the store, and the video is a little piece of magic, but I don't know the reality of the situation as far as algae growth and other issues are concerned.

in short, you are my test case...
dasjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #33
thedudeabides
Planted Member

Well like I said before in my posts I was not interested in it because of the gimmicks they claimed in the video and also they are very expensive. I have had many planted tanks in the past and they are alot of hard work and dedication. If you are looking to buy this tank to eliviate all your planted tank woes then don't get it. It is a very cool design and I can't wait to mess around with it, but I would not take too much stock in the video. If I were you I would research all I could about planted tanks and also read over my concerns about the tank before I made the purchase. Now that I have I am glad I did but I still think I might have to add co2 and am still a little sceptical about the biobox and may just swap that out with either dirt or something like eco complete. I will let you know how it goes and hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #34
dasjman

That's what I'm doing right now. The more I read, the more I am unsure this system can work as they claim. I really like the setup, but I'm finding some serious doubt now, based on my research of planted aquariums.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #35
jeremy va
Planted Member

The UG filter thing baffles me: sooner or later (especially if you have honkin' great discus like the Mustache guy), the thing is going to get gunked up. Don't you then have to take the whole tank apart to clean the filter?
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
thedudeabides
Planted Member

Yeah like I was saying I would not take too much stock in the video. I have used UG filters in the past for planted tanks and they do work OK for the most part, but we will see how it goes. Thinking I may have to buy some different gravel for the thing eventually but for now I have just moss, java ferns, some crypts and anubias from an old tank and the plants he gave me, which did not look too good. The bio box has sponge filter material and dirt in it from what I can gather. May need to figure out some kind of extra filtration I can use, probably would just do big a sponge filter no need to get all fancy.

But as far as what originally made me want to buy this, the design really is cool. The big problems would be the filtration used, although it may not be that big of a problem. Water has been stable thus far, and I don't really buy into the over filtration thing for tanks. In my experience of 15+ years in the hobby, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WATER CHANGES.

Sorry to write a small book. I will post a tank journal or something if I can figure it out.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 03-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: add
thedudeabides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #37
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Had The Dude email me the pics and I'm posting them up for him.

Why? Because he abides. And I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that.

Plus I wanted to see the pics. So here they are:

I'm digging it. Especially the slope front, quite unique.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
thedudeabides
Planted Member

Thanks Dark Cobra lovin the movie quote! Yeah it's a cool tank design but not the best for growing plants at this point. Thinking the I may have to replace the gravel with flourite once I get some new plants to go with it (don't like going the root tab / gravel route). Don't think the biobox is gonna provide all the trace elements to grow healthy plants like it said it would. (go figure) May also look into modifying it down the line so I can include a sump (I love sumps) so I can get a little better filtration going. The fish in there are doing well and water quality is good. Any plants other than epiphytic ones arn't doing so hot at the moment. My crypts. from my old tank melted and all the plants I got with the tank were not in good shape to begin with and haven't bounced back yet.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #39
dasjman

Any new updates on this? It appears that the only store around may actually be owned by the people that make these things. That doesn't bode well for direct answers to questions. All of the set ups still look very good, but they are not very forthcoming on what maintenance they are actually doing to the tanks. I ask because my 55 gallon hex just sprung a leak. She's old, and I've repaired the leak for now, but it's looking like I will have to make a decision soon on a new set up.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
thedudeabides
Planted Member

Sorry it's been awhile. Summer grad classes are a bear!

Well with the crypt melt and not having any stem plants in there I got a terrible case of BGA. I am planning on getting some new gravel and plants here soon also debating a DIY CO2 system or biting the bullet and going high tech, suggestions? Also anyone have any suggestions for plants to include, keeping in mind what would look good from above looking down into the aquarium as well as viewing head on.

Once I have something worth taking a picture of I will post some.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #41
kdv9tb
Algae Grower

So after a quick google search, this is all that really came up for the Aquaplantarium. So my question to you is this, Do you still love the tank? Was it worth the extra money? What changes have you made? Did you add a sump, and if so, did you have to drill extra holes? Did you upgrade lights?

I only ask, because I am seriously considering getting one. I would like to do Orchids, and Discus, and am curious as to water conditions, and if you addressed the filtration issue.

Hope to hear some good news!
kdv9tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #42
thedudeabides
Planted Member

So to answer your question half a year later (although I may have through private message before cam't remember). I do love the tank, the design is awesome. I changed out the substrate and planted it heavily and that got rid of the BGA. I never did the sump thing but am not ruling it out down the line since the back of the tank is made of metal and it could be easily fabricated. I have never had water quality issues other than having the BGA, and mine is pretty well stocked. I have the light it came with and an LED as well. I think they come with T5's now but the one light the guy said it came with were just 5 CFL bulbs on a strip.

I am making a lot of upgrades here real soon including upgrading to CO2 and replanting. I will post on here some of my progress.