lighting for a 55 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

lighting for a 55 gallon

I just set up a 55 gallon tank. I bought it used off of Craigslist, so the hood came with a 48" light bulb in it. It is over 9,000 K but I don't know how many watts. Right now my plants are microsword, amazon sword, argentinean sword, pennywort, and dwarf red lily. I'm planning on adding some myrio, some kind of small carpet plant, and some moss. What wattage should I be shooting for?
The lily pads on the lily plant are growing fast already (seemed to grow about an inch in a day as it wasn't touching the top one day and then the next day it was at the top of the water), but I don't know the light requirements of the plant.
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
NYREPS
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS
Default lighting for a 55 gallon

Current usa true lumen pro 8k sun 48 inch strip or finnex Double 7k 48 inch
NYREPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
matt11390
Algae Grower

Not sure about your layout or type of carpet plant but you may need at least 3 Watts per gallon. Typically carpet plants will need more light than other, but not always.
matt11390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

ok i am having the same problem here... trying to setup a planted tank for my GF and i am having the same issue of lighting... do you think this is enough?

i have 2 of this bulb over a 55 gallon tank... is that even enough? some say its more on the kelvin side but i'm not to sure of this... each bulb is 30 watts and 6500k but i only have 2 bulbs... (this is the bulb i have below in the link, is this enough? if not how many of this do i need?) trying to grow some carpet and luwigia plants... any help? (pet store says 2 is enough and some other hobbyist says it should be fine but i'm not to sure about it... but i could be wrong... )
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025043...9#.UVYnb1eT6pU
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

ok, maybe I won't try a carpet plant yet. I'd need like, 3 lights as fluorescent lights only go as high as 50-something watts. I would probably need one of those dual-light hoods if I want to get 2 watts per gallon. that works for the plants I have, right?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

in my 55 I use a Finnex dual 7 k and a one bulb custom t5HO from Catilina. I can grow whatever I want. i use CO2 which is a must IMHO

Aquaticz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Can anyone answer my question?
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default lighting for a 55 gallon

i did :-)

hello mods :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your 55 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I just set up a 55 gallon tank. I bought it used off of Craigslist, so the hood came with a 48" light bulb in it. It is over 9,000 K but I don't know how many watts. Right now my plants are microsword, amazon sword, argentinean sword, pennywort, and dwarf red lily. I'm planning on adding some myrio, some kind of small carpet plant, and some moss. What wattage should I be shooting for?
The lily pads on the lily plant are growing fast already (seemed to grow about an inch in a day as it wasn't touching the top one day and then the next day it was at the top of the water), but I don't know the light requirements of the plant.
Thanks!
Hello Orange...

Your single bulb isn't going to be enough. At most, you'll have 40 watts if the bulb is the standard florescent kind. You really need a two-bulb set up. Florescent lighting is fine, that's what I use, but I have a fixture that will hold two 48 inch bulbs.

Ideally, you want 6500K bulbs, either T8 or T12. Again, this is the standard florescent kind you can get at most hardware stores for a few dollars each. The bulb will easily last a year. If you keep to the plants that require low or subdued light, even up to moderate light, then these bulbs will work fine.

B