Metaframe Deluxe 28g Planted w/Co2 Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

So i'll start this new tank thread with I found a great find on Craigslist for an old Metaframe Deluxe tank, with original lights and back plate in near perfect condition for a GREAT deal!

Currently I only have two small tanks a 14g BioCube and a 2g Fluval. You can see those tanks builds below in my signature line.

This tank is going to my basement in my work area. Its a good fit as this tank is almost as old as my house and the work bench it's sitting on.

I'm still debating on what I will put into the tank but I have a few idea for both flora and fauna but not decided on anything 100% yet.

Here is what I have for Equipment so far and some is on the way in the mail.

Tank: 28g Metaframe Deluxe with original lights and back plate
Lights: Two 6,500 15w CFL's (switching to LED's hopefully in the next month or so)
Filter: Fluval 306 (w/ extra 7/8 OD, 5/8 ID clear tubbing for inline equip)
Heater: Hydor 300w inline
Diffuser: UP AQUA inline diffuser
Co2: 5 lb. Stainless Steel tank, w/ two stage Co2 pressure regulator w/ solenoid (just traded somebody for this and not that familiar with it yet)
Bubble Counter: Fluval 88g Co2 Bubble Counter (Co2 equipment I bought didn't have a bubble counter)
Drop Checker: glass ADA style drop checker
Digital Thermometer: Coralife digital thermometer
Syphon: I just bought a 50 foot water syphon kit (no more hulling buckets)

Substrate: Safe T Sorb (just ordered a 40 lb. bag today)
Rocks and wood: I love great rocks and amazing wood so we will see what I can find and afford.

UPDATED 5/2/13:
Current Plants:
  1. Water Sprite
  2. Fissidens Fantaus (tied to rock)
  3. Anubias Petiete Nana
  4. Trident Java Fern
  5. Java Moss (just a few strands for now)
  6. Rotala Macrandra (Green)
  7. Rotala Rotundafolia (Green)
  8. Hygrophila Polysperma
  9. Pogostemon helferi
  10. Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
  11. Lindernia rotundifolia variegated
  12. Pogostemon erectus
  13. Marsilea minuta
  14. Staurogyne repens
  15. Ludwigia sp 'red'
  16. Subwassertang
Current Fish:
  1. 8 Chili Rasbora

Inverts:
  1. 3 Taiwan Red Cherry's (only three because I was moving from another tank)
  2. 2 Zebra Snails

One thing for sure is I won't fish that "pop" like the tank does and there are going to be lots of plants.

As of tomorrow I will have all equipment as the bubble counter, and inline diffuser should arrive. I will plumb the tank and get the water going. I already shimmed the tank (that was an ordeal) on my really old workbench and have an area for it.

Wish List: I will add to this too for anything I want to get.
1. LED's (going to local club's workshop in June)
2. Lily Pipes: Would like to get Stainless Steel Lily Pipes (might start with glass)

Here are a few pictures, one from the add I bought the tank and the rest are of the tank. I like to post a lot of pictures so as this build evolves i'll add a bunch more. Because what's a thread without pics?!?!

Tank Picture (From the ad, don't mind the black plastic light on the back, it's in the garbage now):

Tank in my basement on my workbench (testing lights) filled no leaks. I threw in a few frogsbit and a branch of Madrona (common in the NW) for fun:

Side shot so you can see the lights and back plate on these Metaframe tanks:

Shimming my tank (wow 45 minutes to shim it... and yes I used most of the Large Shim package):

Equip shots and more to come... stay tuned!

Last edited by SeattleFishGuy; 05-03-2013 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Added Wish list.
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

this is going to be sweet! I have been wanting to look for a tank like that, just can't find it locally with a good price. Nice find, nice setup.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
this is going to be sweet! I have been wanting to look for a tank like that, just can't find it locally with a good price. Nice find, nice setup.
Thanks, I can't wait to get it going
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I really love this tank and hood! but I really don't recommend shimming the tank itself. I would use a 3/4" thick board under the tank and them shim between the board and the work bench. You could then use some trim molding to hide the gap between the board and workbench.

Also, if this is a working workbench, pounding on it will not be pleasant for the tank inhabitants.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
I really love this tank and hood! but I really don't recommend shimming the tank itself. I would use a 3/4" thick board under the tank and them shim between the board and the work bench. You could then use some trim molding to hide the gap between the board and workbench.

Also, if this is a working workbench, pounding on it will not be pleasant for the tank inhabitants.

Thanks, yeah i knew not to do that, I do have a 3/4 thick plywood underneath it then shimmed that.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

UPDATE: Recieved the Co2 Inline Atomizer/diffuser in the mail today and my Bubble counter.

Plummed in the inline diffuser and have it up and running, testing for leaks now. I'll post pics later tonight but one thing I'm debating about is if I should paint the back of my tank black or leave it clear. I know that plants will cover it up eventually but for now I don't like it.

Pics: Bubble Counter and Inline diffuser

Inline diffuser plumed in, it took a while as I really had to tighten the stainless steel tighters I bought more than I thought I would be, but it's not leaking. Unfortunately the fluval tubing that i'm using from the 306 to the heater is leaking just a tad so i'll have to tackle that soon.

I added some rocks for fun to the tank, don't think I'll use them but maybe the big one in the middle which you can't see in the pics but it is petrified wood.

I also don't like the way the outflow tubing goes across the back of the tank so I may need to cut a larger piece of tubing and make it come straight up from the back. That being said as soon as I get plants and Co2 going i'm sure they will fill in that background anyway.

Next i'm going to get a few timers for my lights and Co2 solenoid and then get my Co2 tank filled up. Then I wait for my substrate in the mail and then I can start cycling my tank. Oh and pick out plants and fish.

Last edited by SeattleFishGuy; 04-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: adding pics
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Werdna
Algae Grower

How did you decide on the brand of Co2 Inline Atomizer/diffuser?
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdna View Post
How did you decide on the brand of Co2 Inline Atomizer/diffuser?
There really is only one kind of inline diffuser out there under several brand names. The other route is a Reactor but they take up more room.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You can always frost the background with spray paint

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

I thought about it and I also saw somebody use wax paper and it looked great but for now I'm leaving it... Going to look at some new wood that my LFS just got. Pics later...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Picked up some Malaysian (Kiki) driftwood today at LFS (Aquarium Co-Op), great selection and prices!

The piece I selected for my tank is a rather large stump and it anchors the whole tank. I may need to cut the ends to make it fit better but I put it in the tank today to get it soaking. Once I get my substrate in it I will slope it from the back down to the front so it will look much better...that and i'm going to pull the unwanted rocks out.

Full Tank shot:

Close up of driftwood:
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Fishermike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

So jealous! My first few tanks were metaframes...brings back memories. Would love to have one again some day. Love that you"ve got the hood, too!
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Metaframe Deluxe 28g Planted w/Co2 Build

Sweet tank and awesome driftwood. Tetras would love that setup. Add some green, mix it up - an instant classic.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Thanks guys, i'm trying to figure out how to position that wood a little bit better. It's tight up against the back and front glass and because of that it sits a little higher than I would like. So depending on how much substrate I have to work with will depend on if I cut the "arms" off the wood so it sits down a little bit more.

For fish I'm thinking this (today):
10 - Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)
10 - Forktail Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil furcatus)
2 to 4 - Pair of Aphyosemion Australe (Lyretail Killifish), and most likely another pair of something else, not sure what
2 - Loaches (not sure but something that "pops" Panda Loach maybe?)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

score on the driftwood! i love the pieces that look like the stump of a tree. they seem to be the most natural to me

awesome tank as well, wish i was lucky enough to find one for a good price
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote