Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 69
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #1021
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Just a Little History

The Mini S was my first ADA aquarium and I remember buying it because the Mini M, which is what I originally wanted, was out of stock at the time. I did not know it at the time, but it was a pretty fortunate mistake, as there's something quirky about the Mini S.

See, the Mini S, dimension wise ends up being kind of like a high aquarium - it's a bit taller than it is wider, compared to the Mini M, which fleshes out depth. But the further irony is that when you get more and more into complex layouts, height ends up aiding more in the perception of depth than...depth

Last night, I took out the old Mini S and started tinkering, and soon I'll have a layout going with it in there, since I've resparked my love for the Mini S all over again.

-Frank

P.S. And oh yeah - I made tied a bunch of stuff to a piece of driftwood last night, which came out absolutely awesome for the Mini S. Did not take a picture, but I'll get one soon. I've got it sitting in another tank temporarily until I get a few things together for the Mini S.
Francis Xavier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #1022
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can't wait to see it! Interesting concept with the height and depth.
Hayden's ADA 60-f | Hayden's ADA 45-f | Canon Club #82 | ADA Club #05 | Teen Club #06
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1023
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

hey frank!
do you get algae on the mosses that you tied to the driftwood, say in your 60P?
i ask because the branches are at different heights and some are closer to the light.

i'm facing a little hair algae issue in my tank and was wondering if you've experienced it before. i'm just plucking out what i can for now but long term am wondering what i can do.

thanks!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #1024
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Every now and again there's a little fuzz - but a healthy amount of Amano's keeps that in line more or less. Manually removing as much as you can helps a lot in the process.

What I find is that most people under-use Amano's when it comes to some of those algae's. For example, in a 60-P, I'll see a lot of people using 5 or so Amano shrimp and believing that that will solve the issue. 5 is typically a suitable number for say a Mini M, but in a 20 gallon, you're going to want in the area of 15 or so Amano's to keep things consistently in line.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #1025
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

On the 5D, I may have spoken too soon. But I -have- been staring at cameras all day long as time permits!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #1026
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - It's the Season for Updates!

Can't wait to see your Mini S.

I can't wait to start mine! Wink wink. Lol
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #1027
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info you've presented us with frank, I read through this thread for the second time today and wish I had found it when I first started with planted tanks!

EDIT: Frank, any chance you could enlighten me as to what the benefits of doing small rocks covered in moss is versus coating a single piece of wood or a large rock?

Last edited by pmcarbrey; 04-03-2013 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: .
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #1028
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

If the attachment on an iPhone worked - here's a photo as promised of what I'm working on for the mini s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	118402  

Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #1029
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very inspiring Frank! I hope we can get you to come out and speak this year in Seattle/GSAS!
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #1030
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info you've presented us with frank, I read through this thread for the second time today and wish I had found it when I first started with planted tanks!

EDIT: Frank, any chance you could enlighten me as to what the benefits of doing small rocks covered in moss is versus coating a single piece of wood or a large rock?
Thank you for your kind words of support pmcarbrey!

As for your question, it's not about a specific advantage of small rocks versus driftwood - the only exception id say is with a large rock.

Small stones allow flexibility in where and how you place the moss around other plants and arrangements (such as on or between stones). This adds a layer of detail work to your layout.

Attaching moss to driftwood is another application of moss all together, but if you wanted to carpet moss, it's a different deal.

As for big stones, unless you have a big aquarium, this diminishes your flexibility of planting around it and I definitely recommend against it. Additionally, except for propagation, I do not even prefer tiles of moss (unless the entire carpet is moss).

For example, had I used a single flat big stone to tie moss to in the Mini M version 1, then I would not have been able to mix tenellus or hair grass with the moss to create the effect that I did.

Additionally, plants like moss and Riccia have a tendency to take on the shape of the object they are tied to - so the effect of moss tied to small stones makes natural contours in the layout and add an extra layer of depth to the overall picture. Contrarily, if tied to a tile the whole appearance takes on a flat appearance. Certainly desirable in some cases but not in others and not in most cases where I use moss.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #1031
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Very inspiring Frank! I hope we can get you to come out and speak this year in Seattle/GSAS!
I'd love to do a live demonstration an talk in Seattle! Petitions should be started to make this happen.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #1032
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Every now and again there's a little fuzz - but a healthy amount of Amano's keeps that in line more or less. Manually removing as much as you can helps a lot in the process.

What I find is that most people under-use Amano's when it comes to some of those algae's. For example, in a 60-P, I'll see a lot of people using 5 or so Amano shrimp and believing that that will solve the issue. 5 is typically a suitable number for say a Mini M, but in a 20 gallon, you're going to want in the area of 15 or so Amano's to keep things consistently in line.
noted! will pick some up this weekend.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1033
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
If the attachment on an iPhone worked - here's a photo as promised of what I'm working on for the mini s.
have you been attaching all these using glue? i dont' see any lines!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1034
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
have you been attaching all these using glue? i dont' see any lines!
Nope, all with wood tight and moss cotton. It's still a terrible photo since I have it just floating in the Mini M for the time being.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #1035
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I see BUCES!!!

I love tanks with lots of variety of epiphytes and tanks that use them a lot; it adds a whole new dimension to the layout.

Could you give us a full frontal shot of the tank? It is hard to grasp what is happening on the other side of the rock.
iter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to