Matt's Fluval Spec V - First Freshwater Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Clavius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Online I'd assume

- Mumford
Well yeah, just thought someone might have a recommendation for an online store.
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
Very excited!

Planning on putting it where the pump is. But as I have never physically examined one of these tanks, that is still up in the air. Once I get the tank in my hands I'll have a better idea for sure about where the heater will end up going.

Where do you find these enriched substrates? Thanks.
Try the ADA shop in San Francisco; they have an online store and all the products you'll need
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Clavius
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
Try the ADA shop in San Francisco; they have an online store and all the products you'll need
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
Thanks.
I got all my fertilizers and some substrates from them; they are a pretty cool bunch of guys to deal with and ship within 24 hours
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
Clavius
Algae Grower

Well, got the tank today! Only problem is the top that goes on the tank is broken on one corner. Not that big of a deal though as I didn't plan on using the top. The bigger problem was that I did not have a stand for the tank or anywhere to really put it. So I went out and bought a cheap table to set it on. Cheap... like, real cheap. So cheap I'm not sure it will hold the tank. So I may have to find another piece of furniture or something else to place the tank on. But for now, while I'm still acquiring everything I need, this is what the tank will sit on. Going to leak test it today or tomorrow and see how well it sits on the stand. Here is a picture:

More updates to come!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Clavius
Algae Grower

Just got some water in the tank and leak tested it!

http://youtu.be/9xjaPu0ICYk
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
Clavius
Algae Grower

Probably gonna have to find something else to put the tank on. Not sure this little table is going to be sturdy enough.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
daylily
Algae Grower

I have two Spec V and I don't think I would trust one on a stand with 3 legs.

I had a piece of glass cut that is 3 inches bigger than the tank is all the way around, and I put the tank on the glass. It sure makes it easier to have the tank on the glass then on the wood table top. Before the water would get under the tank when I would dribble a bit doing water change or cleaning... and I had no way to get it out. I worried that the wood would warp or become wet and loose it's strength under the tank. Actually, the 2nd Spec has a piece of plexiglass from Lowe's under it because it was a LOT less expensive than getting a piece of glass cut to fit. $22 for glass, $3 for plexi.

One of my tanks sits on an antique cupboard I bought at an estate auction. It is solid wood, but has a decorative veneer front that is peeling so it is not worth much. But it is really solid. The other one sits on a small chest of drawers that is not fiber board, but it's the old "unfinished" furniture with a coat of enamel paint on. Still, it is more sturdy feeling than the small aquarium stands that I was finding for 10-20 gallon tanks.

I don't use the small magnet glass cleaner in my Spec - the tank is so narrow, the magnet was tearing up the plants as I swiped the glass. If you plant the plants all an inch from the glass, you would be ok - but then that leaves a lot of the Spec without plants. I just get in there with my hand and a piece of 3m scrubby that I cut in a narrow strip (the kind without any chemical!). I have really, really hard water. The magnet cleaner was not getting the scale off from the water, but the 3m does. I am careful with it though, not to scratch to hard. I also use half RO water and that helps a lot!

I don't use the carbon bag in the filter area... I have a small Purigen that I stuffed in there in one tank. I need to order one for the other tank. In the second one, which I just set up a few weeks ago, I have a 2nd bio sphere bag.

I am having pretty good luck growing low and medium light plants in my Specs with the stock light. I put the lower light plants on the ends, and the medium light plants to the middle. I just had an Anubias Nana bloom, so it must be happy! I leave the lights on for 11 hours. I don't do CO2, and I dose Flourish Trace, Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Potassium and 1/2 the amount of Excel every week to 10 days, with a water change every 10 days.

Plants are green and growing, so must be doing ok! I'm growing Wisteria, Pennywart, Hornwort, Cryptocoryne wendtii sp 'Green Gecko', Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Crypt Wendtii Bronze, Rotala rotundifolia, Lindernia Rotundafolia, nymphoides sp. Taiwan, dwarf water lettuce and Slavinia minima.

I had my heaters in with the pump, but the tank with the betta did not get warm enough (wanted it 78-80) so moved it out into the main part of the tank. The other tank has 3 pygmy cory, cherry shrimp and one Endler. The other 3 Endler's made a jump for it. :-( And, I use the lid! Oh, and one Oto temporary because I had a few diatoms in it. He's just about done cleaning them up, then he will go back in my larger tank.

I have found that the fish are happier if the pump is set on low and has a small piece of pre filter over the outlet. I make it in a strip, so it doesn't block the flow all that much - just keeps it from shooting straight out across the tank.

Last edited by daylily; 04-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: clarity
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Clavius
Algae Grower

VERY helpful post! Thank you so much!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
Clavius
Algae Grower

Ok, found something else to put the tank on! It's not as tall as I would like but it will work fine I think. Much more sturdy than the table I was using before.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
daylily
Algae Grower

That does look better, and you can put some heavy books on the shelf to even out the weight.

I should have said above that although the glass is a few inches bigger than the tank, it is just a little bigger than the cupboard it is on. Just enough so any water I spill won't go underneath and be on the wood, it will drip from the edge of the glass.

I've not seen others mention this with tanks and wood stands/cupboards - so maybe this is not a good practice. Don't know, but it seems to be working great for me.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #27
Clavius
Algae Grower

Bought a bottle of Prime and a 15lb bag of CaribSea Flora-Max. Put about half the bag in the tank and it's a cloudy mess right now. I probably put too much in and will have to remove some. Looks like I have about a 2" deep bed of it at the moment. Anyway, pics when it clears up!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #28
Clavius
Algae Grower

Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #29
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

good stuff! spec v's are nice lil tanks

one thing is if you get heavy into the planted thing (we are on TPT afterall) you will want to consider removing the carbon part of the filter because of its affect on ferts... I cut my foam block off where it held the carbon and stacked in some filter balls in the well to compensate - only side effect is that with the carbon gone the pond smell comes on easier but that is natural and really not intense - if it does get intense its an overt reminder to change the damn water!
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
Clavius
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
good stuff! spec v's are nice lil tanks

one thing is if you get heavy into the planted thing (we are on TPT afterall) you will want to consider removing the carbon part of the filter because of its affect on ferts... I cut my foam block off where it held the carbon and stacked in some filter balls in the well to compensate - only side effect is that with the carbon gone the pond smell comes on easier but that is natural and really not intense - if it does get intense its an overt reminder to change the damn water!
Thanks for the info!

Here is another short video of the tank. I put the substrate in last night and it has mostly cleared up by this morning.

http://youtu.be/cu-RSLuQTDU