VegasSurfer's Planted Nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
VegasSurfer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

VegasSurfer's Planted Nano

Hey everyone! Recently rescaped my 5 gallon planted aquarium, and I will be starting this journal to track the progress with the improved substrate and aquascape.

My YouTube is http://www.youtube.com/user/VegasSurfer. I will be making updates on this tank there, as well as this post.

Old Scape:

In this setup, i was striving to get a natural, self sustaining tank. I had Organic Choice Dirt as the substrate, capped with regular black gravel. Plants included Italian Val, Rotala, Crypts, Naja Grass, and many small java ferns. I had achieved my goal with this tank, going a few months without any water changes, but the growth rate of the plants is what turned me away from the look of the tank. So, I planned up a rescape in order to renew my interest in the nano.

Tank Specs for the new setup:

5.5 Gallon Aquarium

10 Watt Compact Florescent

Mini Tom Internal Filter

Fluval Stratum Plant Substrate

Fauna: One male Halfmoon Betta

Flora: Hemianthus micranthemoides, Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia palustris, Ludwigia peruensis, Hygrophila angustifolia, Hygrophila difformis, Vallisneria spiralis (Italian), Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus augustofolia var vesuvius,

Rescape Plan:

Here is the planned out scape idea that I originally came up with. As you can see, there are many more species of plants in this scape than the last.

So...Now that the background knowledge is out of the way, we get down to business.

In the new scape I planned to ditch the dirt and ditch the wood, while acquiring Fluval Plant Stratum and a series of red colored rocks. I was looking for a clean and unique looking tank, rather than a natural messy looking one.

I was able to order the Stratum on Amazon for approximately $12, along with free shipping. I ordered the 4.4lb, which served perfectly for the 5 gallon tank.

I then looked for the rocks I had in mind, and snatched up some very great pieces...

Now that I had both the hardscape and substrate, I could proceed in scaping the tank.

Hardscape Completed:

Here you can see the Fluval Stratum and Granite rock arranged in the tank. The Stratum was wonderful to scape with.

I was then forced to wait a few days before the last bunch of plants arrived from shipping. You all know how that goes...

Plants arrived, and its time to plant the tank!!

I was pleased with the initial look of the tank. Keep in mind I have yet to add the foreground plant, along with a few red stems for the background. Most of the plants, especially the willow hygro, were bent up from shipping. The Stratum was nothing like I had read it would be once the tank was filled. I read that it was light, delicate, and clouds the water upon filling. None of which were true in my case. This picture was literally 10 minutes after the tank was filed, and it is crystal clear. The plants were also easy to get into the substrate. Overall, very pleased.

A few days after setup:

Here is the tank two days after filling. The bubbles are gone, plants are straightened, and even a bit of new growth is apparent when viewing up close. I am pleased with the tank so far. The foreground plant, Pearlweed, is in transit along with the Ludwigia peruensis.
VegasSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice rescape. That's a beautiful betta, I also like the rocks.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well done, very different rocks, kudos on the choice
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
VegasSurfer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice rescape. That's a beautiful betta, I also like the rocks.
Thank you! Here is a better shot of him...

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
VegasSurfer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Well done, very different rocks, kudos on the choice
Thanks! Its amazing what you can find when you take a walk around the neighborhood haha!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
VegasSurfer
Algae Grower

Update Time!
Well, the Ludwigia peruensis has arrived as well as the Pearlweed. Both of which are planted in the tank now. Here are some photos (I apologize for the quality, they were taken with my iPhone...don't have access to the DSLR at the moment).

(Pearlweed)

(Ludwigia peruensis. A little bent up from shipping, but should look spectacular once it straightens out)

And finally...the full tank shot:

I will be hacking down the pearlweed in about a week to allow it time to properly root. As for the other plants, they are kicking ass in the Fluval Stratum!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
JeremyM
Algae Grower

lookin good, keep on keepin us posted. Though I figure you're going to have one hell of a time keeping that pearweed low enough for a carpet. I love the line of crypts in btw those two rocks at the right. Let's get some more focus on the vesuvius sword though! And do you plan to put some stauryo in here, or no?
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
VegasSurfer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
lookin good, keep on keepin us posted. Though I figure you're going to have one hell of a time keeping that pearweed low enough for a carpet. I love the line of crypts in btw those two rocks at the right. Let's get some more focus on the vesuvius sword though! And do you plan to put some stauryo in here, or no?
I might have to upgrade lighting to keep the carpet more compact, and those are small java ferns, not crypts! The vesuvius are in the process of growing up.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
majerah1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Lovely!

Its so nice to see bettas in planted tanks,they look amazing in there!

Eheim Pimp #475
majerah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice i have subscribed to ur youtube channel!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice new scape

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

EWWWWW! jk looks great Mike!
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSurfer View Post
Hey everyone! Recently rescaped my 5 gallon planted aquarium, and I will be starting this journal to track the progress with the improved substrate and aquascape.

My YouTube is http://www.youtube.com/user/VegasSurfer. I will be making updates on this tank there, as well as this post.

Old Scape:

In this setup, i was striving to get a natural, self sustaining tank. I had Organic Choice Dirt as the substrate, capped with regular black gravel. Plants included Italian Val, Rotala, Crypts, Naja Grass, and many small java ferns. I had achieved my goal with this tank, going a few months without any water changes, but the growth rate of the plants is what turned me away from the look of the tank. So, I planned up a rescape in order to renew my interest in the nano.

Tank Specs for the new setup:

5.5 Gallon Aquarium

10 Watt Compact Florescent

Mini Tom Internal Filter

Fluval Stratum Plant Substrate

Fauna: One male Halfmoon Betta

Flora: Hemianthus micranthemoides, Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia palustris, Ludwigia peruensis, Hygrophila angustifolia, Hygrophila difformis, Vallisneria spiralis (Italian), Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus augustofolia var vesuvius,

Rescape Plan:

Here is the planned out scape idea that I originally came up with. As you can see, there are many more species of plants in this scape than the last.

So...Now that the background knowledge is out of the way, we get down to business.

In the new scape I planned to ditch the dirt and ditch the wood, while acquiring Fluval Plant Stratum and a series of red colored rocks. I was looking for a clean and unique looking tank, rather than a natural messy looking one.

I was able to order the Stratum on Amazon for approximately $12, along with free shipping. I ordered the 4.4lb, which served perfectly for the 5 gallon tank.

I then looked for the rocks I had in mind, and snatched up some very great pieces...

Now that I had both the hardscape and substrate, I could proceed in scaping the tank.

Hardscape Completed:

Here you can see the Fluval Stratum and Granite rock arranged in the tank. The Stratum was wonderful to scape with.

I was then forced to wait a few days before the last bunch of plants arrived from shipping. You all know how that goes...

Plants arrived, and its time to plant the tank!!

I was pleased with the initial look of the tank. Keep in mind I have yet to add the foreground plant, along with a few red stems for the background. Most of the plants, especially the willow hygro, were bent up from shipping. The Stratum was nothing like I had read it would be once the tank was filled. I read that it was light, delicate, and clouds the water upon filling. None of which were true in my case. This picture was literally 10 minutes after the tank was filed, and it is crystal clear. The plants were also easy to get into the substrate. Overall, very pleased.

A few days after setup:

Here is the tank two days after filling. The bubbles are gone, plants are straightened, and even a bit of new growth is apparent when viewing up close. I am pleased with the tank so far. The foreground plant, Pearlweed, is in transit along with the Ludwigia peruensis.

Cool tank!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

How's this tank going Mike?
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote