Mini M AquaSky build thread!! - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #136
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I think the black solar mini looks better. Go for that!
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #137
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Re: Mini M AquaSky build thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
I think the black solar mini looks better. Go for that!
Got grey, it was a trade and I like the traditional color so it worked out well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #138
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Grey is going to look nice on your stand. The only thing I don't like about the solar mini is that it gets in the way a bit when you're scaping and doing maintenance. But considering the trade-off, it seems like the right move.
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #139
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
Grey is going to look nice on your stand. The only thing I don't like about the solar mini is that it gets in the way a bit when you're scaping and doing maintenance. But considering the trade-off, it seems like the right move.
Yeap, and it rotates 145 so you can move it conpletely out of the way so it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #140
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Ok just an update.

Frank the good man he is has worked with me and I will be sending tower 20 back as I could not find a co2 bottle to fit the sleeve, to replicate the tower it would cost somewheres in the $500 range. So with that said, I have purchased a ADA pollen glass mini, system 74 ya, the acrylic hanger, leaving just the bottles which I will be buying 6-8 of this month. I also should (fingers crossed) be getting my superjet es300 and maintenance stand B in two weeks. So hopefully this tank will be back up and running in three weeks fully planted and 100% ADA. It will be a bit different than before so stick around, I will add a picture later with layout, plants, ect that I plan to go with. I also have traded out my aquasky with a solar mini.

Nice, I look forward to seeing it all assembled with some new photos from that new camera.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #141
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Nice, I look forward to seeing it all assembled with some new photos from that new camera.
Just waiting on stuff, you know how that goes

Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #142
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

I was waiting to see you install your lily pipes with the glass cover over the tank while you still had the Aquasky just to see how they look together.

Did you get a chance to do so before you exchanged the lights out? I don't know whether there would be a placement issue with the glass cover regarding lily pipe placement and overall functionality and aesthetics.

Also, I am using an Ecoxotic dimmer with the aquasky. It's works but definitely not ideally matched. It creates a whining noise when the lights are dimmed more than say 20%.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #143
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Yeap, and it rotates 145 so you can move it conpletely out of the way so it shouldn't be an issue.
On a mini s, the 145 degrees was NOT ideal...it still got in the way. With the m being considerable bigger, probably less of an issue.
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #144
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
On a mini s, the 145 degrees was NOT ideal...it still got in the way. With the m being considerable bigger, probably less of an issue.
Well I now think the one I got in trade was broken and loosened on purpose to go further as I had to tighten fixture and they have large scrape marks where it was spinning. It still works fine but it was very loose and I have to be gentle with It lol.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #145
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post

Also, I am using an Ecoxotic dimmer with the aquasky. It's works but definitely not ideally matched. It creates a whining noise when the lights are dimmed more than say 20%.
That is not an ideal thing to be doing as they are rated for different voltage ranges. You could very well permanently damage the aquasky and its ballast.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #146
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That is not an ideal thing to be doing as they are rated for different voltage ranges. You could very well permanently damage the aquasky and its ballast.
Yup not ideal as the dimmer is not robust enough to optimally handle Aquasky's wattage. But, after googling around, I found that both the LED and dimmer is safe but a whining noise will result from the dimmer being under designed.

I bought the Aquasky last week from Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica. At first owner guy wasn't sure whether the LED could be used with a dimmer. After he looked at the PSU/AC adaptor/ballast thingy, he determined it can be used because the dimmer goes AFTER the ballast. So, the ballast is still getting full wattage from the wall hence it won't be damaged.

At least that's the logic I am going by now. Ideally, I would love to get a more robust in line dimmer but have no idea where to acquire one. And, at this point, I can't go without a dimmer as the light without dimmer is WAYYY too bright.

For the price, ADA should really have included a dimmer with the LED. I jokingly surmise that ADA purposely over powered the LED to force people to use more CO2 and ferts.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #147
TheGuy
Planted Member

Got some new stuff in- ADA pollen glass mini, acrylic hanger for advanced system, and system 74 YA regulator. Tank also has substrate system in. Just waiting on wood and my filter that seemingly will never arrive lol.
Plants will be-

Rotala rotundifolia green, rotala indica, anubias nana petite, bolbitus, glosso, either crypt parva or micro sword, and lots of java moss.