156w ok for a 58g oceanic show tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

156w ok for a 58g oceanic show tank?

Im looking at the 58g oceanic show tank. I like it alot and I want to know if 156w is enough light to grow high light plants? Its demesions are 36.5" x 18.5" x 21"

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
riverrat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

I think you would be okay with that much light. Not really sure though.

One thing I am sure of is that my next tank will most likely be the one you looking at. ooooo the oceanic 58 gal. If I feel cheap I may have to settle for the aga 50. Which ever one I choose I will have to sneak past the wife!

river
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
jasonh
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
I think you would be okay with that much light. Not really sure though.

One thing I am sure of is that my next tank will most likely be the one you looking at. ooooo the oceanic 58 gal. If I feel cheap I may have to settle for the aga 50. Which ever one I choose I will have to sneak past the wife!

river
HAH! My wife is MAKING me get the Oceanic 58RR neener neener
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It sounds like a T5 3 footer. It will be fine. I have a 156 watt Current-USA Nova Extreme T5 on my 3' 65 gallon All Glass - its just about right. Nice reds etc. Good light for the value, after dumping the actinics. You can even grow HC. Or the Tek is a tiny bit brighter!

That said, if you really want high light popping fast growth, go with a 6 bulb unit instead of the 4 bulb. The 4 is adequate, but another 2 will be way more than enough and really nice for that 4-5 hour midday full sun blast. Not sure, but I think you have to get a Tek for that.
Then again, the 58 is a few inches shorter than my 65 gallon, so all in all I think the 156 watts will do you fine. I have a pic of my 65 in my profile with the Current USA 156 watt Nova.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have that exact tank. I have dual AH Supply 96W CF's. I also run the stock 36" 25W flourescent strip that came with the hood. I originally only had the single 96W CF and the stock 36" strip. I couldn't get Blyxa Japonica or Riccia Fluitans to grow. Now they do just fine.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote