2 canisters on a 55
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

2 canisters on a 55

I'm getting an ehiem 2236 and a jbj 45. I plan to put both on a 55g to replace a 2064. I did not like the e features they where useless. I got both filters for the same price as the 2064. I plan to put a spray bar on one side and a spray bar in the middle of the back. Both in takes in opposite corners. Any suggestions on in take/ outlet?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
zackariah
Planted Member

Default Re: 2 canisters on a 55

So far it is working great. The jbj came with a double length spray bar. I put it along the back of the tank. The ehiem is in the back left corner pushing the water in a circle. I hooked up a toms surface skimmer to the ehiem. I had a few hiccups with impeller noise. I finally figured out that you have to make sure the impeller snaps onto the magnet. It still is not as quiet as the pro 3e, but it is quieter then the jbj. I have a 300w hydor inline on the jbj. It has kept the temp perfect so far. I have bags of purigen in both and I'm using ehiem coco puffs in both. I opted to not use the carbon on either. The jbj has a huge media capacity. But its not near the quality of the ehiem. I don't expect it to last as long either. The plastic all feel thin and cheap! The handle that locks the hoses in/controls flow would easily break with careless handling. The priming stick is very thin! I'm glad I will rarely need it. Saying all that. It does what it says all the features work. The question now is how long. The 2236 is what I expect as far as quality and ease of use from ehiem. My only quam is I expected it to be dead silent. I will continue to update.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
zackariah
Planted Member

THE EHIEM TOOK A CRAP! The top started sucking in air. So much for my initial thought on the quality. I'm sending it back for a refund and gonna try a circulation pump on a timer. At night it will come on for 15 minutes. Every hour for the first 7 hours.(that's how many settings my timer has.) I had an aqueon 1250 gallons per hour laying around. It really kicks things up in the tank. This actually may be better then the 2 canisters seeing how much debris it kicks up. I may want to look into a timer that has 24 settings so I can set it to come on every hour for 5 min or so.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I would re-read the setup instructions. Brand new Eheim failing is pretty much unheard of.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
zackariah
Planted Member

Yeah thats what I thought too. I took the whole thing apart and found the problem it had a small crack in the plastic above the impeller. Don't quite understand how this could happen. I still will buy an ehiem in the future based on reputation. I just got the one bad filter out of the bunch.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Pdxseth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 2 canisters on a 55

I run a Rena xp2 on my 72g with a koralia 1000gph powerhead. I believe flow is much more important than filtration. My tank is also heavily planted and stocked and I still have to dose kno3 occasionally.
Pdxseth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
zackariah
Planted Member

Pdxseth what is kno3? And I'm thinking I will stay with one. And use a circulation pump. It seems to work well. The 1250 is a bit much for my tank though so I'm thinking of getting something more like a 500-700.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
zackariah
Planted Member

Nevermind dumb question definitely need to sleep lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.