And then there were snails - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #16
Gunter95
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

And then there were snails

I use a very different technique to get rid of snails. A small hammer. When they are on the glass, I break the shells (gently) and then my fish go nuts for the live treat.
Gunter95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
black_dragon_i
Algae Grower

I have one species now, they start off as redish brown when young and as they mature the shell becomes darker with little golden specks in it. Large area where the snail comes out of, very tight swirl at the top. I saw a small amount of damage on the very edge of my oldest lily and small translucent patch on the largest of my banana plants leaf.

I am not sure the lily is the snail as it looks like typical lily leaf death but can someone tell me most likely what snail this is and if their numbers which are skyrocketing now (many many jelly packets in tank) should be a concern?

I have very little algae in the tanks since I let them reproduce and only thin occasionally to another tank just for snails.
black_dragon_i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Brilliant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I think this title is the funny I almost choked when I saw it.

I had snails once...the came in via pots my dwarf swords were in. There were millions of them...pond snails! Well I tried picking them out for days...I havent seen many in there I wonder if my bigger snails are eating them.

I also have this really cool snail that just grew fron nowhere...its reminds me of a crab sorta then a snail...its shell looks like a tube wound ina circle.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

I have too many snails and the only ones I like to keep are my olive nerites. I tried the zuchini slice to get them to accumulate so I can move them to my outdoor water feature, but my darned plecos keep downing the thing too fast for the slow snails to get to it. lol

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
fresh_lynny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #20
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'll need to say the malaysian trumpet snails aren't all THAT bad, but I think if I was to try to get rid of them completely... well, I'd lower the water level to about half an inch above my gravel, take the fish out, and then salt the hell out of it with some rock salt. rock salt seems to kill them rather well... I'd leave it sit for a day or so, then start doing mad water changes.... both to get rid of the salt as well as the rotting snail carcasses.

I keep thinking of interesting fish I could get that would control this outbreak of snails.. but then I look up info on them and find out that no fish will eat this snail, so far as I've found... apparently they break puffer's teeth, and are maybe too tough for most loaches. dissappointing.

As it is, I usually just watch my tank, and when there's more than 5 large snails on my substrate surface even when the lights on, that means it's time to dig around for a bit and scoop them up out of the substrate. I can usually get about 20 large snails with the net and then I put 'em in a jar full of salt and after they're dead chunk 'em in the dirt pile outside of my apartment that has some plants growing on it. Maybe it's good for 'em? eh...
Mangala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
gonzobluefuzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala
I can usually get about 20 large snails with the net and then I put 'em in a jar full of salt and after they're dead chunk 'em in the dirt pile outside of my apartment that has some plants growing on it. Maybe it's good for 'em? eh...
I like that idea.....gotta go find a mason jar and some salt, I could damned near fill it I'm 1/2 sure Will hafta find an alternate dumping location tho .....the neighbors roses would not enjoy the salt I'm sure

Snails and algae are all I seem to be able to cultivate
gonzobluefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #22
Witz_N_Charm
Algae Grower

Snails and algae are all I seem to be able to cultivate

get dwarfs puffers and otos . snails and algae gone fast
ooops you want some snails, try another tank fot the ones you want
Witz_N_Charm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #23
Witz_N_Charm
Algae Grower

20 large snails
try ebay instead of salt.
all the money you have lost. people BUY the very snails you have. your money
my bf said to pass that on
Witz_N_Charm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
sayn3ver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)

yea dude. you can send them to me.

Puffers love snails, they were born to hunt and eat snails and we puffer owners set up tanks to do the unthinkable(yes, i have a 2.5gallon tank setup to breed snails).

Or you can try ebay, or if your LFS sells puffers, they might buy them. I'd prefer you send them to me though.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #25
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Snails are easy to get rid of if you dont keep inverts. Add a little copper to the water and they will all be dead in no time.
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #26
sayn3ver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)

send all the ones you can to me first, then copper the tank. I paid .75 a ram snail to start my breeder tank.

I'll tank any pound or ramhorns...just no MTS's.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.