New Platy fry, help!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
phishstix
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Platy fry, help!!

I brought home 3 platy fish about 3 weeks ago, 2 female 1 male. 1 female looked as if she had eaten a LOT when I brought her home and the other looked normal sized. The bigger of the 2 (OJ) I decided after about a week that she HAD to have been preggers when I brought her home because she just continued to get bigger and bigger. She has looked like she was about ready to pop for days and days. Yesterday, around noon when I came home from work, I checked out the tank, counted the ghost shrimp and SURPRISE!!! There was a baby lurking around in the hornwort! Now, after about the 2nd week of having the Platies- the 2nd female Quila (tequila sunrise platy) caught up with OJ in belly size. It was hard to tell which one looked more pregnant than the other. I can only assume that one of them is a more experienced mother (the latter I'm guessing) and that's why she caught up in size so quickly? At any rate, I haven't noticed much of a difference in behavior between the two. Both rest in quiet areas of the tank, they both have continued to eat in a healthy manner. I left for about an hour after finding the first fry and upon my return there was a second, yaaay!! Problem is, I have no idea which one is dropping them. I don't plan on separating them into breeder tanks or nurseries because I don't want to interfere with the natural course of things. I have a heavily planted tank with a large java fern, lots of hornwort (planted and floating), anacharis, a forest of water sprite, dwarf amazon swords, and banana plants that are rooted and growing like crazy- their leaves are nearly 1/2 up the length of the tank. The new fry have been hiding successfully (so far-they made it 24+hrs & through the night). hiding in all the cover. Is there any way other than staring into the tank all day/night to know which one is dropping? Also, those were the only 2 fry i have seen and they were born yesterday- but both quila and oj look just as pregnant as they did 3 days ago. I'm so confused!! Help help!?
phishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Not sure how you can tell which one is having the kids - but you don't really need to worry about it much. Soon you will have more baby platies than you know what to do with and will be posting on here "Does anyone want all these damn platys - they breed faster than I can catch them!"

I went through this - I assumed most babies would get eaten (which would happen in a non-planted community tank) but in my heavily planted tank TONS of babies survive to adulthood.

After 6 months I tried to get rid of all of them, even the adults (donated to LFS) - I am STILL finding small Platys several weeks later.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
rowdaddy
Planted Member

Default Re: New Platy fry, help!!

It's a blessing if you have a predator tank. My convicts eat my platy babies, and.my oscar eats my convict babies. LOL

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
rowdaddy
Planted Member

Default Re: New Platy fry, help!!

I would assume the one that was pregnant first will drop first. Lol

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

Platy tend to just spit out babies like an industrial printer. You want a fish to eat them. Platy will eat their own and unless you have a lot of hiding spots, all might end up eaten.

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
I assumed most babies would get eaten (which would happen in a non-planted community tank) but in my heavily planted tank TONS of babies survive to adulthood.
But how do the fry get any food if you don't put them in their own tank? How can they compete with full-grown fish at feeding time?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
But how do the fry get any food if you don't put them in their own tank? How can they compete with full-grown fish at feeding time?
they eat small bugs that are in the tank u dont often see
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
they eat small bugs that are in the tank u dont often see

Amazing!

One of my two female platies just dropped her fry two days ago. I don't have any males, so she must have mated at the store before I brought her home. I wasn't prepared for the arrival of the fry, because she never developed the "gravid spot" that many people told me to watch for.

Even though my tank is heavily planted, I think my harlequins got most of the fry. There's still one or two hiding out deep among the plants, but the odds are stacked against them. How long does it take for them to get big enough to not be eaten by other fish (such as harlequin rasboras)?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

big enough to no fit in the mouth. but i have no idea how long that takes
a month or 3 i'd guess

Tags
fry, help please, no breeder traps, platy