Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =) - Page 71
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #1051
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Re-scape of my 20 long. Very peaceful community tank.

Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #1052
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
This is from immediately after finishing planting, last Friday, but here's the three 30cm cubes on my dresser:

So far so good, no melting, no signs of anything bad. Just some growth happening and seemingly happy plants settling in.
My first planted tanks with more than just shoddy LED lighting and a few anubias on driftwood.
What's the red plant and what's your trick to keeping it so red without co2 and dosing?
bpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #1053
Sparrowhawk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
What's the red plant and what's your trick to keeping it so red without co2 and dosing?
It was an impulse buy my partner brought home when one of the plants I'd sent him on a mission for wasn't available, haha. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it does look a lot like rotala macaranda. More knowledgeable folk, please correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't do anything at all really, except add a little API CO2 Booster when I turn on the lights in the morning, and it's grown a lot and stayed a vibrant red since the tanks were set up 10 days ago. The soil may contain what it needs to stay red perhaps? I don't dose any ferts, so I think that must be it.

:-)
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #1054
SowndFx

Here's my 55g!

Tank size- 55g ( 48Lx18Hx12D )
Lighting- All Glass 48" Dual Tube w/ 1x Flora Sun & 1x Tropic Sun bulbs 12 hour photoperiod
Filter- 2x Marineland Emperor 400
Heater- 200w Eheim Jager
Substrate- 1.5" Eco-complete capped with 2" Pool Filter Sand
Ferts- Seachem Flourish tabs and Flourish Comprehensive

Plants:
Spiral Val
Jungle Val
Anacharis
Anubias barteri
Crypt wendtii (Red, Green and Bronze)
Crypt parva
Java Fern
Java Moss
Amazon Sword
Ocelot Sword
Red Tiger Lotus
and a couple leaves of Duckweed

Livestock:
6xZebra Danios
4xCherry Barbs
6xOtos
2xAmano Shrimp

Notes: This is my very first planted tank. This tank was recently upgraded from a 1yr old 38g non planted that I had a my parents house before I bought my own house and moved out. Perfect opportunity to upgrade! One of the filters is the old one I used on the 38g and the other is new with 1x established filter pad, 1x media tray of ceramic rings and 1x bio wheel swapped the old filter.(I like to over filter) Tank has been set up with its current stocking for 3 full weeks now. All fish are original survivors from the 38g. So far I haven't lost any plants and EVERY SINGLE ONE is showing great steady growth. Even the crypts which I've read everywhere are notorious for melting in new set ups or anytime they're moved. Only lost one leaf total. Didn't really have any aqua scape planned and just put plants where I thought they looked nice. Feedback on the scape would be great. My wife and I love the way it looks now but everyday I think about how this same setup will look when these plants all fill out and grow more.

Well just wanted to post it up and see what you guys think. We don't invite many people over and this is our lil paradise. I know everyone here loves low tech and I've fallen in love with so many tanks here I wish I had the space at home for similar setups. Lol! Hope you enjoy!

Far left

Middle left

Middle

Middle right

Far right
SowndFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #1055
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

looking good, nice contrast,
now all you need is more plants.
I know when I got started I did not know which plants would grow in my tank's parameters. I can not say I have seen a thread on it but I think getting to know the plants first is a great way to go. I have planted some plants thinking "oh that will look great when it grows in". then a few weeks later it looks like an undesirable weed & out it goes. you also want to bunch like plants together and leave empty space- fish like that.

hope this helps

hello mods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #1056
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

This is why I laugh when people start insisting that you can't have lush growth without C02 and a complicated dosing regime.

37g tall, fertilization is mostly Pfertz products (micro, macro, potassium and root tabs) and amazingly inconsistent; it can range from 4x a week to 1x in two weeks. Root tabs every 3-4 months under the heaviest feeders. I do get a lot of green algae on the glass but I've been too lazy to raise the light bar or find a way to attractively shield the tank from an hour of late afternoon sun.

Stock: 11x black neon tetra, 6x sterbai cory, 1x GBR, 1x SAE, ottos (at least three, possibly several more), 3x car. propinqua, dozens upon dozens of cherry shrimp, 1-3x ghost shrimp, 1x amano, 2x zebra nerite, 1x red spot nerite, untold numbers of MTS, pond snails, rams horns and--stuffed and useless in the face of such a bounty-- 2x assassin snail.

Substrate is a mix of flourite and polished aquarium gravel that was scooped out in the far right and front to make room for sandy areas. River rock, malaysian driftwood and manzanita branches round things out.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #1057
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowndFx View Post
Here's my 55g!

Tank size- 55g ( 48Lx18Hx12D )
Lighting- All Glass 48" Dual Tube w/ 1x Flora Sun & 1x Tropic Sun bulbs 12 hour photoperiod
Filter- 2x Marineland Emperor 400
Heater- 200w Eheim Jager
Substrate- 1.5" Eco-complete capped with 2" Pool Filter Sand
Ferts- Seachem Flourish tabs and Flourish Comprehensive

Plants:
Spiral Val
Jungle Val
Anacharis
Anubias barteri
Crypt wendtii (Red, Green and Bronze)
Crypt parva
Java Fern
Java Moss
Amazon Sword
Ocelot Sword
Red Tiger Lotus
and a couple leaves of Duckweed

Livestock:
6xZebra Danios
4xCherry Barbs
6xOtos
2xAmano Shrimp

Notes: This is my very first planted tank. This tank was recently upgraded from a 1yr old 38g non planted that I had a my parents house before I bought my own house and moved out. Perfect opportunity to upgrade! One of the filters is the old one I used on the 38g and the other is new with 1x established filter pad, 1x media tray of ceramic rings and 1x bio wheel swapped the old filter.(I like to over filter) Tank has been set up with its current stocking for 3 full weeks now. All fish are original survivors from the 38g. So far I haven't lost any plants and EVERY SINGLE ONE is showing great steady growth. Even the crypts which I've read everywhere are notorious for melting in new set ups or anytime they're moved. Only lost one leaf total. Didn't really have any aqua scape planned and just put plants where I thought they looked nice. Feedback on the scape would be great. My wife and I love the way it looks now but everyday I think about how this same setup will look when these plants all fill out and grow more.

Well just wanted to post it up and see what you guys think. We don't invite many people over and this is our lil paradise. I know everyone here loves low tech and I've fallen in love with so many tanks here I wish I had the space at home for similar setups. Lol! Hope you enjoy!

Far left

Middle left

Middle

Middle right

Far right
Nice! There are a good amount of people on here from CT. Really digging that.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #1058
glutandpoop
Algae Grower

Here's my 6-gallon cylinder planted project - photos taken after setup and about 1 month later (with weekly trimmings, daily glut 2xdose, and no ferts) - 1 of 7 tanks I currently have set up with plants/fish/turtles/etc.:

Lighting: 2x26W Finnex actinic
Filter: Sponge
Substrate: 3/4" Marble gravel, fine white Petco gravel, dirt

Plants:
Argentine Sword (it's trying to grow emersed)
Bacopa Japan (growing like crazy)
Bacopa Caroliniana (another fast grower)
Elodea (trimmings for turtle food)
Water Sprite (grows and reproduces rapidly, had to remove a large one already)

Livestock:
~30 Molly fry (from the now-removed mom in the old pic)
2 Rosy Red Minnows
2 Bristlenose Plecos
~10 Red Cherry Shrimp
>100 Physa snails and a few Ramshorns (so far these have left most of the plants alone)

My plan is to see what grows and turn it into something pretty once I have a solid excess of plant matter to work with...

glutandpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #1059
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

One of mine (75G Tall) before co2 was invented

and 3 more before CFL and t5s

Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #1060
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I love that Discus tank, is the carpet dwarf sag or Pygmy chain sword?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #1061
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I love that Discus tank, is the carpet dwarf sag or Pygmy chain sword?
Thank you.
The carpet is E. tenellus.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #1062
extrame
Algae Grower

Here's my 50 gal home tank.
Replanted last month
extrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1063
AguaTropical
Planted Member

It's definitely respectable when someone has a low tech tank that is just as lush and green as some high tech tanks.

Nice tanks everyone!

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #1064
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Here's my Mini-M on my desk at work:

PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #1065
gene4christ
Planted Member

Latest update to my 95gal. It has been up for about 3mounths now and has went without a hitch . Had just a bit of an algae issue but has began to die back . I have Java fern but it will not grow , I do not know why but the rezones are still green so I left them in , also there is Narrow leaf Java in there it has began to die back some but I think it will make it but not sure . I have two 48" Coral Life light strips but just use one now because I do not have enough Plant to out compete the algae so cut back to just one fixture for 14 hours . I plan to get more plants for the mid and background as well as more Crips for the front . Then use a second timer and use both fixtures for about 4hours in the afternoon . I used 3"Miracle Grow with 3"gravel cap and about a 3" border of pool-filter sand .

Check out the links bellow for more pictures of the process and let me know what you think .
gene4christ is offline   Reply With Quote