Instant cycle?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Jeffkol
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Instant cycle?

I am getting shrimp either tomorrow or the next day (shipping on the way now) and I would like to know if I can instantly cycle my 10g tank. My water is cloudy and someone told me it was because my tank wasn't fully cycled. This just started about a week or two ago. So I just put my 5g tanks filter media into my 10g tanks filter with my other media and am letting it sit. My 5g has more fish in it as my 10g is going to be shrimp only. I was wondering if adding the media that is already established, will this tank be instantly cycled then?
Jeffkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Subscribed
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

There is no such thing as an 'instant' cycle, it takes time. You are better off getting a breeders net, and putting it in your smaller tank and putting the shrimp in there until your 10 is fully cycled.

What are your water parameters reading?

The longer you wait the better.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used Stability and it yielded good results. Densely planting the tank and it only having shrimp should keep your numbers from getting too crazy, just keep up with testing.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Instant cycle?

Total alkalinity is 80 ppm
Total hardness is 100ppm
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 0
And ph is 7
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At this point you need to accept the fact that you are in a bad situation no matter what you do. Judging by the bacterial bloom you are experiencing I'd be willing to bet that your ammonia levels are very high. At absolute best you can expect 2 weeks to have a fully cycled tank, and I'd say atleast another 2 weeks after that to have it prepped for shrimp. What I'd advise at this point is driving to your nearest fish store, buying a full test kit, and some seachem prime and stability. A full test kit will allow you to know when your tank is exceding safe levels, prime will allow you to neutralize ammonia, and stability will speed the process of cycling.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Instant cycle?

I moved my zebra dianos to my 10g and so I will put the shrimp into my 5g that has been cycled for almost a year if not more. So I hope they will all be alive and well and thrive in this tank. But I'm thinking of putting my 29g stocking into my 10g and my zebras back into my 5g and then the shrimp into my 29g
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkol View Post
I moved my zebra dianos to my 10g and so I will put the shrimp into my 5g that has been cycled for almost a year if not more. So I hope they will all be alive and well and thrive in this tank. But I'm thinking of putting my 29g stocking into my 10g and my zebras back into my 5g and then the shrimp into my 29g
Another thing you need to consider: how do the conditions these shrimp are coming from compare to yours? What is the pH, GH, and KH of the tank they are coming from?
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You had zebra danios in a 5 gallon?
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Unless your planning on keeping them in the 29g I'd leave them in the 5g because chances are you will never find them all in the 29 if it's planted. Also the shrimp will do better in 5g than the danio's. 5g is a really small tank for anything but a single fish or some very small (smaller than danios) fish.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Instant Cycle

Quote:
I am getting shrimp either tomorrow or the next day (shipping on the way now) and I would like to know if I can instantly cycle my 10g tank. My water is cloudy and someone told me it was because my tank wasn't fully cycled. This just started about a week or two ago. So I just put my 5g tanks filter media into my 10g tanks filter with my other media and am letting it sit. My 5g has more fish in it as my 10g is going to be shrimp only. I was wondering if adding the media that is already established, will this tank be instantly cycled then?
Hello Jeff...

You'd have to locate an established tank with a setup the same as yours. Simply remove some of the used media from the other tank and put it into yours.

B
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

you could look at products like dr tim's one and only. it is the only product (that i am aware of) that contains the specific nitrifing bacteria produced from the tank cycle process.

i've used it in an emergency before and it seems to have been effective as my tank stabilized very quickly and i didn't lose any shrimp.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Sharing media between an established tank and a new set up is a good way to get the cycle started in the new set up. There are a few things to watch out for:

1) Do not take too much from the established tank. This could result in an ammonia spike, so monitor that tank closely, testing for ammonia and nitrite. About 25% of the filter media is usually safe. More is questionable.

2) If you do not take very much media from the established tank then the new tank will not handle a large bio load right away. (perhaps as little as 1/8 of the bio load of the donor tank)

3) Nitrifying bacteria grow slowly. They do not cloud the water. If your new tank has cloudy water it is from some other problem, perhaps heterotrophic bacteria. These are good guys, but not part of the N-cycle. Let it be, it will clear up on its own.

4) N-bacteria need ammonia. If you took the media from the established tank, added it to the new tank, then did not feed the bacteria they start to die off. Not all at once, not instantly, but a couple of days = fewer bacteria, a week with no ammonia = significant die off. You can use ammonia, fish food, a dead shrimp from the grocery store.

5) Best source of nitrifying bacteria that you can buy is in a bottle that is labeled that it contains Nitrospira species of bacteria. Do not waste your money on anything else.

Here is what I would do:
Go get a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra Safe Start or Microbe Lift's Nite Out II.
Split the cycled media between the 2 tanks according to how much bio load each will have.
Add the bottled bacteria to both tanks.
Add ammonia to the tank with no livestock to feed the bacteria. Test, 1 ppm is good for a planted tank, up to 3 ppm is OK with no plants in the tank.
When the livestock arrives:
Test the water. Have the bacteria removed all the ammonia and nitrite?
Do a really big water change.
If there was a trace of ammonia or nitrite before the water change, then add some more bacteria to the new water.
Then add the livestock.

Reasoning:
The bottled bacteria takes a few days to get going.
By adding cycled media there is a big boost in established bacteria in the new tank.
Adding bottled product to the old tank makes up for the bacteria you have taken out of the filter. Adding it to the new tank boosts the population in that tank.

Feeding the bacteria in the new set up encourages it to anchor to the filter media, and to get growing.
But if the new livestock is arriving so quickly you might only be able to add the ammonia once. There might not be enough time for the bacteria to remove it. On the other hand, the established bacteria on the filter media might do the job completely, turning the ammonia in to high nitrate.
So, no matter if there is ammonia or nitrate in the new set up, do a water change before adding the shrimp.
If there was some remaining ammonia, add more bacteria. It cannot be overdosed. You can keep the bottle in the fridge for several months, and use it whenever you need to add N-cycle bacteria to a tank.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Instant cycle?

I got the shrimp and all are in the tank and alive and well! But I am planning on changing the substrate to black sand this weekend. Will this be alright an then do some water changes so that the water clears and then put them back in there?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Instant cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
I have used Stability and it yielded good results. Densely planting the tank and it only having shrimp should keep your numbers from getting too crazy, just keep up with testing.
+1 also taking seeded media from a cycled tank does wonders! I don't think it instantly cycles your tank, but it does indeed heavily jump starts it. Just make sure there's an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on. Adding cycled media makes the tank safe for inhabitants. Also squeezing a filter pad or shaking a media bag helps get the bacteria spreading.

Cloudy water is not an indicator for a tank not being cycled. I can stir up my substrate and my water will get cloudy. Overfeeding can cause cloudy water. Not maintaining a tank can cause cloudy water. Adding substrate to an established tank can cause cloudy water. There's a lot of things that can cloud your water.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote