Planting advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planting advice

Hey everyone,

I have set up this scape and am nearly at the point of planting it. I have a few ideas but I'm wanting some input.

Comments on the hardscape are welcome but I'm happy with it so unless your advice blows my mind or is simple to change then I probably won't do it. Just becaus eI want to get it planted as it has been too long in the making.

It is a cold water scape

I have Myriophyllum sp. on hand from my farm. I plan on gettign Hair grass, some fine leaf val, and some sort of moss for on the large rock... ???

Something like this...

Comments please.

Lindsay
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Farmer
Planted Member

No comments?
Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, but given your rendering, I'd leave the point of that rock bare
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, but given your rendering, I'd leave the point of that rock bare
So do you mean not have the plant behind the point?

Linds
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

First thing I'd do is change your intake for your filter. It's extremely overbearing. Second: I'd consider and anubais for the rock
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

(Awful decorator) I love the hard scape so far!!! The big rock should be left alone though. I think that's the big eye catcher. Then again I'm awful at these kinds of things. Can't wait to see finished results!
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I love what your thinking. It could definitely work out has a display tank. Please proceed forward with planting, your hardscape is perfect.

For the point where the 3 rocks meet, I would either tightly pack HC in the crack between the rocks, or I would attach fissidens fotanus.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
First thing I'd do is change your intake for your filter. It's extremely overbearing. Second: I'd consider and anubais for the rock
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the filter inlet and outlet stand out like a saw thumb. But I am working on that. Just need the money

Do anubais grow in cold water? Do you think it will smother the rock? This is a very small tank.

Lindsay
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
(Awful decorator) I love the hard scape so far!!! The big rock should be left alone though. I think that's the big eye catcher. Then again I'm awful at these kinds of things. Can't wait to see finished results!
I tend to agree the more I look at it. Perhaps some very minute moss if I can find something for cold water.

Linds
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I love what your thinking. It could definitely work out has a display tank. Please proceed forward with planting, your hardscape is perfect.

For the point where the 3 rocks meet, I would either tightly pack HC in the crack between the rocks, or I would attach fissidens fotanus.
Thanks mate.

To my knowledge HC requires high light. The place i think you are talking about is in a shadow. Do you think it would grow? Also it is a cold water setup.

I am getting some fissidens fotanus for another tank so I can try it out.

Lindsay
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Thanks mate.

To my knowledge HC requires high light. The place i think you are talking about is in a shadow. Do you think it would grow? Also it is a cold water setup.

I am getting some fissidens fotanus for another tank so I can try it out.

Lindsay
I have heard some people able to grow HC in a medium light setup, but it takes a longer time to root and spread. Could you tell me your lighting for the tank? Maybe I can get a better idea if should try out HC.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I have heard some people able to grow HC in a medium light setup, but it takes a longer time to root and spread. Could you tell me your lighting for the tank? Maybe I can get a better idea if should try out HC.
As far as I can tell so far the tank would be high light. I just bought a new light (TMC GrowBeam 600). The thing is the place I think you are telling me to plant it is in shadow. Can you confirm where it is you were suggesting?

TBH I think HC is boring and everyone uses it. Also it is so yellow/light green, I like the idea of deeper green as I think it will compliment the rocks. Even the myriophyllum is a little light for my tastes. I'd rather try fissidens fotanus. But I don't know if either can be grown in cold water. 18-28 is the temp given for HC, so I'd probably be right on the lowest edge.

Lindsay
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
As far as I can tell so far the tank would be high light. I just bought a new light (TMC GrowBeam 600). The thing is the place I think you are telling me to plant it is in shadow. Can you confirm where it is you were suggesting?

TBH I think HC is boring and everyone uses it. Also it is so yellow/light green, I like the idea of deeper green as I think it will compliment the rocks. Even the myriophyllum is a little light for my tastes. I'd rather try fissidens fotanus. But I don't know if either can be grown in cold water. 18-28 is the temp given for HC, so I'd probably be right on the lowest edge.

Lindsay
Oh, I forgot to mention where you should place the plant. Yes, I was referring to the dark shadow. I think it would look natural if you add something there. I actually agree that HC is getting boring, but low growing carpeting plants that do not compromise the hardscape of a tank are hard to find. I think riccia might be an excellent alternative.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Fissidens fontanus is a North American native and should do fine in an unheated tank.

You need a ground cover that can be pruned to the substrate if you must have green in the foreground. Glosso? Hairgrass can be mowed and looks fine shortly after doing so. Haven't had success mowing Marsilea which is a deeper green.

I really like this scape and fear it may be lost in greenery. What about letting plants creep forward from behind leaving much of the foreground unplanted instead? Use hairgrass or glosso or Marsilea or tennelus behind and let it grow forward but pull or mow very low in front? My rocks are 4-6" above the substrate and they disappear behind even Marsilea.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Fissidens fontanus is a North American native and should do fine in an unheated tank.

You need a ground cover that can be pruned to the substrate if you must have green in the foreground. Glosso? Hairgrass can be mowed and looks fine shortly after doing so. Haven't had success mowing Marsilea which is a deeper green.

I really like this scape and fear it may be lost in greenery. What about letting plants creep forward from behind leaving much of the foreground unplanted instead? Use hairgrass or glosso or Marsilea or tennelus behind and let it grow forward but pull or mow very low in front? My rocks are 4-6" above the substrate and they disappear behind even Marsilea.
That is what I was thinking. I think hairgrass will cover up the rocks on the left side, so that might not be the best carpeting plant for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.