questions on surface skimming
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

questions on surface skimming

in saltwater tanks I had a surface skimmer that took that nasty stuff out of the water and kept the surface of the aquarium clear of junk. I am wondering if there is the same thing for freshwater tanks as mine seems to have a film and or small things floating on the surface. I would like a diy fix that I can make. or a link to one so I can get the info I need thanks in advance
doc
drhemlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
tippeecanoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most folks who keep planted tanks do not need to skim the proteins that form on the water surface like the keepers of salt water tanks. Some suggestions I have seen range from periodically laying a paper towel on the water surface or increasing surface agitation by directing the outflow from the filter to help break up the film. In my estimation, either method works quite well. Additionally, if you have a sump, you can allow the overflow to act as a surface skimmer. This also seems to work quite well. I've made several overflows like this one:
without any problems. Since I don't run CO2 in my tanks, I don't have to worry about it off-gassing as it goes through the sump. It all depends on how DIY you want to get. Good luck!
Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121
tippeecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I take a powerhead, turn it upside down and attach a top of a water or soda bottle (funnel-like part) and put a piece of filter floss in there. Turn it on, adjust it so its skimming the surface, let it run for a few minutes and done! I do this after trimming, to get any floaters and clear up the surface film. Works like a charm!
Cyanider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
mstamper
Algae Grower

I have wondered if one could use this DIY overflow as a replacement to the intake tube on a canister filter?
I was thinking that you could put the strainer on the top of the tube to keep floating plants and other possible debris / food from going down the top of the tube. This would seem like a win win. You get surface skimming and get the silence of a canister.
40b Planted Apistogramma tank
20g Planted Apistogramma tank
16g Artificially planted Blue Crayfish / Red Cherry Shrimp tank

All this in a 2 bedroom apartment, HAHAHA

Wanna see videos of the tanks? Follow this link > http://www.youtube.com/user/markstankworld
mstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
tipsy mcstager
Algae Grower

this is how i made mine, if it helps.cost me nothing.
it's nice to have a clear water surface. you get more light penetration! without the oil/stuff laying on top.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=284538
tipsy mcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I picked up an $8 surface skimmer from Big Als Online that works great. I used to get a nasty film from the dust in my house and from the flake food. Since I implemented the surface skimmer, in the words of Edgar Allen Poe, Nevermore.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote