After easter MIRACLE
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
lemonnoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

After easter MIRACLE

Hello All,
First post on this forum, been a lurker for some time. So I have a little story to tell, hopefully someone can answer it. I wanted to bring a pet into work so I brought a nerite snail from my frog tank which consists of only african dward frogs and other nerite snails. The plants were all treated with chlorine etc so no snail invaders. So I took a little glass bowl thing and some rocks(ones that had never been in a fish tank) and the snail to work with some of the java moss. The reason I chose this snail is because I noticed he had trouble staying on the glass since the frogs kept picking on him. That morning I had found him on his back for the second time so I decided to take him to work. When I get to work I prep the bowl with treated water and put all the rocks/plants and snail inside. Usually the snails start moving as soon as they are back in water but this guy was not moving. I waited a week and he did not move at all. I assumed he either died in the frog tank or he died on the way to work. Which is unlikely since he was only out of water for an hour and nerite snails are tidal snails. Me being my optimistic self I let the dead snail chill for a month or so. This morning I finally decided to throw him out and I go to check on it and I see him laying there definitely dead now since the hard thing that protects his entrance actually fell out. It wasnt like that before. And I notice something moving inside the tank. Low and behold it is a baby snail about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil. Investigating the body of the dead snail, his shell is ENTIRELY empty. There is no body that remains... ???!??!

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

Was it like Alien where the alien pops out of a human body and eats it? killing its host?

Nerite snails I know can't breed in fresh water.

I know for a fact there are no invasive snails.

??????????????? Second coming/Reincarnation?
lemonnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonnoodle View Post
Was it like Alien where the alien pops out of a human body and eats it? killing its host?
Yes. Kill it before it gets you next.

but uh let it grow up to see if it really even is a nerite snail lol. Would be cool to have nerites that can breed in freshwater. But then again some people keep them in their tanks because they can't.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Run! It gone git you!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

My guess is a ramshorn or similar snail may have crawled inside the dead snail shell and ate what it could find.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
lemonnoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Haha I love everyone's responses
lemonnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote