aquascaping with algae - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #46
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
it feels like a fuzzy guinea pig.
Ahh, I wanna pet it!

This is soo cool, thanks for keeping the updates going!
Acro is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #47
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
Ahh, I wanna pet it!

This is soo cool, thanks for keeping the updates going!
you want to pet my log?
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

When you put it that way, not really....
Now do something useful and give an update on the algae!

Last edited by Acro; 02-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #49
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

So where is that update??????
Old 02-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
scribnibbler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is the funniest anti-forum. So strangely opposite the rest of the site. What if one were to aquascape with green spot aglae on glass. Like use a glass razor to crave intricate designs into the algae and make a bground pattern with it? Like art? I might try. The front and sides of my tank are clear but the back of my tank is entirely covered, so are the filter tubes but I like that cause now you can't see the filter tubes, their camouflaged against the same color. Thoughts on carving in flat algae?
scribnibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #51
Robotguy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribnibbler View Post
This is the funniest anti-forum. So strangely opposite the rest of the site. What if one were to aquascape with green spot aglae on glass. Like use a glass razor to crave intricate designs into the algae and make a bground pattern with it? Like art? I might try. The front and sides of my tank are clear but the back of my tank is entirely covered, so are the filter tubes but I like that cause now you can't see the filter tubes, their camouflaged against the same color. Thoughts on carving in flat algae?
I love it! If you have access, you could print your design, tape it to the glass and back-light it so you could see where to carve.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #52
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bah! That is such a creative idea (And funny too)! I imagine an asian style dragon carved into the back of someone's tank. That could look rather amazing.
Instead of leaving it clear, you could then put up a background, (like red paper) and then the dragon would POP!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #53
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i dont have any pictures at the moment, but i have basically just let the algae take over. as it turns out, the hair algae is amazing at raising young fish. i dont even have to feed them until they are large enough to eat grindal worms, and the single ten gallon is able to support at least a hundred fry until then. its not exactly pretty anymore, since maintaining a nice appearance requires constant trimming, but for its current use, i have not encountered anything better. in 90 days i saw lucania parva and lucania goodie go from egg to sub adults showing color. some of them were already showing spawning behavior.

currently i have a small colony of gulf coast pigmy sunfish in the tank. the tank i moved them from has fry in it, and in a month i will drain the original tank, catch the fry, and move the adults back into it. the fry will go into the algae tank to join any fry that hatch out while the adults enjoy their short stay.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #54
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this is the algae tank at the moment. it is pretty much just a shrimp tank at the moment. i tested its abilities to support fish, and it turns out that it is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to raising fry. nothing in my experience beats it. anyway, every time the algae grows out, i pull as much as i can off of the wood and it just grows back nice and thick. i then put the excess algae into tanks for raising fry. works great.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #55
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

most recent pic. i switched the bulbs out for two "10 UVB" bulbs. the algae has responded by turning an incredibly deep green. i also added all my malawa shrimp to it. several of the females are already burried, and i believe one already released young. the shrimp seem to love this tank.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #56
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

Still very cool. Great way to raise fish fry and shrimp.
However the "scaping" idea seems to have been lost...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #57
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm sure if I tried to intentionally scape some algae, a bunch of Madagascar Lace would mysteriously show up and ruin everything.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #58
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Over on Aquatic Quotient there are a couple of really nice simple layouts that somebody made in nice clean tanks with algae-covered rocks. I will go look for the link.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #59
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Here is one of those posts on AQ...

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...288#post720288

The single stone in the tank has some moss on it too along with some pretty emerald green algae.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #60
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

"this is the algae tank at the moment. it is pretty much just a shrimp tank at the moment. i tested its abilities to support fish, and it turns out that it is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to raising fry. nothing in my experience beats it. anyway, every time the algae grows out, i pull as much as i can off of the wood and it just grows back nice and thick. i then put the excess algae into tanks for raising fry. works great"

Ive also eard this about algae being the best thing for fry to be raised in since it suck up so much more waste then even moss can. Very interesting, maybe if I ever try and breed fish ill keep this in mind