black spots on java fern, newbie here... please help!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
phishstix
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

black spots on java fern, newbie here... please help!!

I got my 10 gallon tank setup a few months back, fishless cycled back in January. I started off with plants and that exploded into a slight obsession, haha. I have one large Java Fern and it seems healthy enough because it is reproducing like crazy. But, it has black spots encroaching upon every inch of it. my LFS advised me to up the bioload in my tank since it is so heavily planted.(at that time, i had 2 peppered cory cats & 1 golden mystery snail.) I now have 2 peppered cory cats, 3 platies (two of which are HUGE with babies- and one of them dropped 2fry yesterday so I am expecting to see more within this next week), 2 unidentified fry that slipped into the take home bag when I got 3 ghost shrimp, 4 neon tetras (one died yesterday ::super sad face:: 1 golden mystery snail and a somewhat unidentified "pond snail," that sneaked in on some hornwort. The other plants in the tank are: 2 dwarf amazon swords, anacharis, lots of watersprite, and 3 banana plants that are also doing VERY well. I got most of the plants last month and everyone seems to be very well rooted- even the hornwort and anacharis that I have propagated. I use a generic liquid plant food that I dose .5 more than what is actually recommended as I was advised to do by my LFS. Any ideas about what is going on with my Java? All suggestions are welcome, thanks!!

-Phishstix
phishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Leaves do have a life cycle, they do turn black as they die back. Without a pic it's hardtop be certain. Could post a pic?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
thedudeabides
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

A pic would be helpful, if it is an older/larger leaf they do get black spots. If all the leaves are black it might be come kind of algae/cyanobacteria or the like, I would put my money on it is just an older leaf. If the newer leaves are nice and green I would just trim the ones with the black spots. Also the older leaves are the ones that tend to grow the plantlets so that would make sense too.

Tags
0nitrates, java ferns