bamboo in aquarium? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Many house plants can be grown with aquarium water. You can support the plants over the tank so the roots are in the water and the stems and leaves are above the water.
You can fashion some form of container, riparium or more complex idea, or you can just let the roots dangle in the water.
I have the best luck with Golden Pothos, and Nephthytis, but have also grown Dracaena marginata, 2 species of Prayer Plant (Maranta and Calathea), and Philodendron scandens. I have tried plants like Spider Plant, Wandering Jew and some others.
Overall, I have the best luck with hanging plants. Upright plants need support, for example clipping the pot to the side of the tank.

ANY plant that is growing with the roots in the water, leaves in the air will be better than totally under water plants at removing nitrogen (all 3 forms we commonly see in the aquarium) and other nutrients.
This is because they are not lacking for CO2, which they get from the air.
They are going to need good light well above the tank, if your light fixture is not already high enough. My plants grow near a window.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
i haven't found that to be the case with BB. When my house flooded the BB died off.
I only saw one reference to this. Maybe it would work if the plant had time to acclimate.

While clicking around I was reminded about another true bamboo that is a true swamp/wetland plant. River cane (Arundindaria gigantea) is a native Southeast US plant that formerly covered huge areas of river bottomland. Most of the "cane brakes" dominated by this plant have been converted by modern flood controls or agriculture to other uses, but it's still around.

(Wikimedia Commons image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ar...a_gigantea.jpg)

You can find lots of plants cheap this time of year on eehbay. I just ordered a 2-gallon pot of A. gigantea and I'm going to try it as a riparium plant. I might just kill it, but I think it's worth a shot. If it grows it could be a good choice for this other project that I am working on...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=278754
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

I love bamboo. Years ago I was in Selby Gardens in Sarasota and saw Old Hammi. I had to have it. Took a while to get it and actually wound up with two others before I found it cheap enough. I only buy clumpers though. I don't want any runners.
I'd love to try the Arundindaria gigantea in a fish tank. Well I really just want a tank large enough to hold that.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I love bamboo. Years ago I was in Selby Gardens in Sarasota and saw Old Hammi. I had to have it. Took a while to get it and actually wound up with two others before I found it cheap enough. I only buy clumpers though. I don't want any runners.
I'd love to try the Arundindaria gigantea in a fish tank. Well I really just want a tank large enough to hold that.
I am in Zone 5 and there aren't many clumpers that are hardy here. Last fall I planted a nursery-rescue Phyllostachys nigra and I hope it will sprout for me this spring. I am going to plant most of this Arundinaria outside and see what happens.

I have a small (2 plants) collection of bamboos know to perform well indoors. The Chimonobambusa marmorea looked wonderful until I divided last year; it has never recovered from that and now left with just one live shoot. The Indocalamus tesselatus still looks happy enough, but it is not such an attractive plant. It looks like corn.

Bamboos aren't like most other grasses and you can't cut just any little division and hope for it to take. It seems to me they are more like trees and need to have a minimum amount of tissue and energy for propagation. I have seen pictures of real nice bonsai bamboo, but I bet they are tricky.

I ran into this place in Michigan that sells Zone 5-6 bamboos... http://mibamboo.com/ They have some pretty cool stuff.

Chusquea nigricans allegedly grows in Sphagnum bogs in Chile... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...J4LzygHOz4DoDQ ...but it is rare in cultivation and expensive and I don't think I'm going to shop for it. I saw some real nice Chusquea in the mountains in Mexico and in Costa Rica.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote