DYI co2 emergency - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

It would be very rare for anyone using DIY CO2 to be getting such a high CO2 concentration in the water that they need to reduce it at night. If you have around 10-20 ppm of CO2, which is very good for DIY CO2, the concentration will not increase enough at night to justify doing anything to reduce it. The only safe way to "shut off" a DIY CO2 system like that is to disconnect it or remove it from the tank, which would be a very tiresome thing to do every night. Turning off an airstone at night won't do any harm and will reduce the CO2 concentration a little, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Whether you have CO2 or not, it is a good idea to have the tank water surface covered with ripples to help maintain more dissolved oxygen in the water. Higher oxygen content will help the fish live with the CO2 you add, and will help the fish and plants even if you don't add CO2.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
MurphyC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It would be very rare for anyone using DIY CO2 to be getting such a high CO2 concentration in the water that they need to reduce it at night. If you have around 10-20 ppm of CO2, which is very good for DIY CO2,
Don't mean to derail the thread, however, I disagree with you on this statement hoppy.
I and many other people I have spoken with achieve 30 ppm constantly quite easily with the DIY CO2 method. I think however, you d need to increase the amount of yeast and be fairly hands on, in that you do need to regularly change / rotate the bottles due to the rapid nature the CO2 is produced with a higher level of yeast in the mixture.

I would also look at planting more in this tank to take up more of the CO2.
MurphyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm not being a smart a$$, im being genuine, but if its rare to have output that requires it to turn off at night then is there possibly something else that caused the fish to die? He was 1 1/2 year old (raised him from a baby) very hearty never been ill. Also is the proposed solution of agitating the water surface at night a viable fix? I ask because I'm attached to these guys and if the due off because I'm being careless I'd be very upset with myself. I have a ghost knife I raised from the size of my pinky to 14" and feeds out of my hand. If hate to loose him to stupidity.
ChadKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you Murphy will get some more plants. I just wish they weren't so expensive. I'm in vacaville ca and the closest nonpetco store is in Davis 30 mins away with traffic. It's local store and they have a nice selection of plants but they sure as hell not giving them away lol. 14 bucks for a very small amazon sword 8 bucks for a 50cent piece of java moss. The dwarf grass I don't even wan to talk about.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

What? Those are insane prices. Average plant cost here is 3.99, 4.99 for potted and 9.99 for something really large. I guess it's a CA thing.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: The warning about surface movement is not a joke. I lost two more fish to me moving the filter outlet below surface level and having a still water surface for only 3 hours during my highlight time. At this point now I always leave it up high to agitate the surface and in 3 days I haven't had any issues. If you do DYI ensure you keep the water churning or you'll loose fish!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
mc1973
Algae Grower

+1 with what Lub said.
And pH swings due to CO2 really don't affect fish much.
I turn my powerhead off about 2 hours before I go lights out, then Oxygen levels are good and CO2 levels are down
mc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote