High Tech Iwagumi - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #31
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey there fellow Fort Collins(er?)! I can almost guarantee that it's your substrate because I've had my tank set up for about a month now and haven't seen much of a dip in any parameters with our tap water. My pH is generally right about 6.5 w/ CO2 and my dKH is at 3 degrees. This hasn't affected my plant growth or appearance negatively and my fish don't mind at all either. Interms of nerites, I've had 1 zebra in there for about a week now and he hasn't stopped cleaning the tank since the second I dropped him in. I would definitely look into maybe removing half of the soil and capping with eco complete or something or completely replacing it? I'm no expert or anything just trying to help!

Btw, which LFS do you go to?
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #32
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sweet, you're the first resident of Fort Collins I've encountered on here. Yeah, I know its my substrate. My pH and kH are slowly climbing with every WC. Once they level out in a couple of weeks everything should be good. Our water is pretty good out of the tap which is nice. I usually just go to D&G. It's the only LFS I know of that sells planted tank supplies and is relatively close. Where do you go?
Calebh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea I breathed a sigh of relief when I tested the tap here (I actually just moved from FL a few months ago). I go to D&G as well but I've checked out Great White Aquatics over off College and it was nowhere near as well set up as D&G. I just wish they were a little less stand-offish there (maybe thats just me though )
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to Colorado. What brought you here? I go to CSU. Microbiology major. Great White is more focused on marine set-ups. The owner Vince is actually a really nice guy but some of his employees aren't great. If you go to D&G you should talk to Matt. He's by far the most knowledgeable. He maintains their show tank.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice! I'm a computer engineering major, I live right next to CSU lol. I wanted a change of scenery and a few of my friends had moved out here so after visiting a few times I decided to come out, I love it so far! I've talked to Matt a few times but I guess I'll have to start going in more often to get to know the guys. Shoot me a PM if you ever wanna grab a brew sometime or make a trip to D&G
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #36
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh nice. I was computer science before I switched to micro. I still do quite a bit of web design for the National Ski Patrol as a part-time job. Foco's a great place. I've lived here for 12 years and still love it. I live right next to campus too, off of Prospect and Shields. Yeah, we'll have to get together sometime and grab a beer.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #37
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebh21 View Post
Oh nice. I was computer science before I switched to micro. I still do quite a bit of web design for the National Ski Patrol as a part-time job. Foco's a great place. I've lived here for 12 years and still love it. I live right next to campus too, off of Prospect and Shields. Yeah, we'll have to get together sometime and grab a beer.
Haha I'm at Prospect and Shield too, I'm gonna flip if we live in the same place. I'm unfortunately working all the way in Loveland at All in One Computers, I also dabble in media, mainly shooting short films and things along those lines. I've always had a respect for web design, code will be the death of me I know it!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #38
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, the National Ski Patrol is down in Lakewood. About an hour and a half drive but luckily I just work from a VPN. I know what you mean. All that code is the main reason I switched majors. I live in Northfield Condominiums right next to the Riteaid.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ironically enough, I just went to check on my Nerite and can't find him. Are you supposed to have your tank covered with those guys?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebh21 View Post
Yeah, the National Ski Patrol is down in Lakewood. About an hour and a half drive but luckily I just work from a VPN. I know what you mean. All that code is the main reason I switched majors. I live in Northfield Condominiums right next to the Riteaid.
That's a nice bit of extra cash flow working from home for sure. I'm on Shields just north of prospect off James Ct. It's right behind the Eye Center on the right.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #41
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nerites love to climb out of the tank. They often times climb back in on their own but if you don't want to lose some of them you pretty much have to cover the tank.

They can survive outside of the water but if they fall off onto the floor they aren't going to make it back up.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #42
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Nerites love to climb out of the tank. They often times climb back in on their own but if you don't want to lose some of them you pretty much have to cover the tank.

They can survive outside of the water but if they fall off onto the floor they aren't going to make it back up.
Damn those little buggers, he actually showed himself a few hours later. I still have no idea where he could've been
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #43
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default First High Tech Iwagumi

Well seems my main problem was the pH meter. The probe went bad and I didn't know because it showed 7.0 and 4.0 pH readings when I tried to calibrate it. Bought a new probe and my pH was way higher than I thought so hopefully everything stabilizes now.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hello fello Rams! I'm new to TPT, but was just browsing threads and saw all the various comments related to Fort Collins. I live off City Park & Plum, so relatively close to you guys. So just thought I'd say hello.

Kinda new to the whole planted tank thing, even though I have experience with freshwater in general.

I'm really digging this planted tank you've got going by the way!

Cheers

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #45
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default First High Tech Iwagumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post
Hello fello Rams! I'm new to TPT, but was just browsing threads and saw all the various comments related to Fort Collins. I live off City Park & Plum, so relatively close to you guys. So just thought I'd say hello.

Kinda new to the whole planted tank thing, even though I have experience with freshwater in general.

I'm really digging this planted tank you've got going by the way!

Cheers
Welcome! I play polo and frisbee in City Park all the time, shoot me a PM if you ever wanna come out or just get together and talk tanks!

My 40B Work In Progress