First Attempt at Shrimp - 10 gal low tech - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
dlanderson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So a quick update since I'm expecting my shrimp tomorrow or at least the day after.

I've added the sponge to the filter intake, added moss to the left foreground and attempted to clean the glass and hopefully things look a little better.

Also up for any suggestions on aquascaping or any rearrangements people feel would make the tank better.
dlanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Shrimp came yesterday. Seemed to do pretty well. I'm sure it will take me some time to figure out what is normal as far as their behavior goes. They seem to swim a bit just after the lights come on but settle down shortly after and then are content to sift through the top of the substrate and clean the leaves of the plants.

The tank, being low tech, hasn't changed. The yarn they sent the shrimp with is still in the tank as I thought I would let them get accustomed to the tank before I take it out today.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

A couple of weeks ago I got some peewee sized shrimp delivered and the package had a similar strand of yarn included for them to cling to and I could not get them to shake loose of the darn thing so I ended up dumping it in the tank as well. This reminds me that I need to see if I can get it free of the little buggers now that they have dispersed throughout the tank and remove it.

Glad to hear that they arrived alive.

The shrimp are grazers and tend to climb on things rather than free swim in the water column.

Not a lot of extreme movement can be expected from them which is why it is usually nice to have a decent sized group of them - so you can always find a few doing something interesting.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Default Not much has changed...

So it has been a long time since I've posted but I thought I would ask for more thoughts on this and get some advice. Most of the plants have remained the same but the moss was becoming overrun with hair algae so I went to pellia instead and the shrimp haven't seemed to mind. The population has grown well and is continuing to breed. I would guess the number to be around 100 or more by now as I can always see about 50-75 at any given time.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is the GSA that is all over my anubias. I have tried to break up the photoperiod with a two hour break but it hasn't seemed to do the trick. I was thinking of starting to does with P but would need some help for a good source and correct dosing. If anyone has a though on that or if certain plants would be better let me know. I'm always open to suggestion.

And yes, I am overrun with MTS in this tank no matter how little I feed.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-14_15-24-15_715.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	104802  

Name:	2013-03-14_15-24-31_382.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	104810  

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I would begin by shortening your photo period and either feeding or ferting less. Your plants will outlive the alage. Make sure you're performing regular water changes to keep your nitrates in check. And finally, it may be that your light is just too much for the tank. Injecting CO2 may help knock the tank into balance.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS_1OO View Post
I would begin by shortening your photo period and either feeding or ferting less. Your plants will outlive the alage. Make sure you're performing regular water changes to keep your nitrates in check. And finally, it may be that your light is just too much for the tank. Injecting CO2 may help knock the tank into balance.
Thanks STS 100, right now I have a two hour break in the middle of the day. It runs for about 3 hours before and after this. While the lighting might be higher than it should be for a small tank (2 13w CFLs) I also have duckweed covering the entire surface now. I'm hoping this helps.

Along with this I am thinking of starting DIY CO2 for the tank but would also like input on another direction I might pursue. I was thinking of starting the PPS dosing regime that I found on this forum. This tank is in my science classroom and I don't have a chance to really test this tank and thought this would be a way to fertilize without having to check often for the ppm of each input. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. The junior high science and high school biology students enjoy the tank and don't notice the GSA but I'm really tired of it after seeing so many great images on this site.

I want to keep it as low maintenance as possible but need to balance that against the aesthetic appeal. Any advice is welcome.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
naturelady
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I know where Curtis is! Believe it or not, we actually went there last summer. Family reunion

As far as your tank, I find it very hard to combat algae in low tech tanks because you basically just have to wait for the new algae-free leaves to grow, then you can trim out the old leaves. Did I miss it before- what fertilization regime are you currently using??

I use a longer siesta period for my plants, the lights are off for about 4 hours in the middle of the day. I can understand, though, if that wouldn't work well for your classroom. Some people find that the siesta period helps their tank a lot, and some don't find much of a difference. I heard one explanation for this that makes a lot of sense: If the plant growth in your tank is primarily limited by CO2 (not enough CO2 in the tank) then a siesta period should benefit the plants because it allows CO2 to replenish. If something else is the primary limiting factor for the plant growth in your tank, then adding a break in the lights and a split photoperiod will not have much effect on the plant growth.
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
dlanderson
Algae Grower

That is impressive that anyone knows where Curtis is. I have since moved to North Platte so I'll have to change that.

I have not been dosing any fertilizer up to now but would like to know if the PPS dosing regime has worked for anyone with low tech tanks. I was hoping not to move to CO2 but will if needed. With any luck the duckweed on the top of the tank will keep things in check along with dosing and the 2 hour break.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Default Revival

I haven't posted here in some time but I thought I'd say so far things are going well and I've really been enjoying this tank. It still has the shrimp, as you can see from the pictures below. I have added some from time to time to ensure the infusion of some new genes but other than that it has been a self-sustaining population with almost no care whatsoever. My classes all seem to enjoy them and it is great as there is almost no maintenance since I have added the duckweed to the top to cut down on light. Also added some hairgrass to give more texture and will snap a new picture of the full tank soon but I need to get the back covered so it isn't so distracting first. Let me know if you can think of any low light small plants I could add. The anubia varieties have all done well along with the mini pelia and the hairgrass seems to be hanging on if not growing extremely slowly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140306_152907_606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	287434  

Name:	IMG_20140306_153003_940.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	287442  

Name:	IMG_20140306_153013_963.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	287450  

Name:	IMG_20140306_152931_539.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	287458  

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #26
ctaylor3737
Shrimp Master

PTrader: (30/100%)

Good luck! Your tank should do well with the shrimps. Get a few and they will thrive! Look for some deals on the forum here if they are not cheap in your area. LFS tend to charge alot even for plain old cherries.
ctaylor3737 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #27
pinkman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

this is great, i just got my first few shrimp the other day, pretty excited about it.
enjoy threads like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #28
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Thanks pinkman and ctaylor3737, always nice to hear. I've had good luck getting some RCS on aquabid since I either can't find them or don't want to pay $3+ a piece for them.

Pinkman, they are so much fun to watch and they really are so low maintenance I can't believe that more people don't have them. A bit hit in my junior high science room.

Things have been going well with very little input. I probably feed more than most but it seems to maintain higher numbers that way and with my assassin snails it keeps my MTS from going crazy.

I'm curious if anyone here has had experience growing hairgrass in low tech. If anyone had I would appreciate any pointers as I love the way it looks. I think it is doing well in part because some of it can reach the surface and get the CO2 it needs.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
ctaylor3737
Shrimp Master

PTrader: (30/100%)

There is some rcs for $1 a piece in the wtb section

-Chris
ctaylor3737 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #30
dlanderson
Algae Grower

Default Hairgrass in low tech?

Thanks for the tip Chris. I will keep a look out on here the next time I might need to get a few new ones. I always look for a price around there. So far the population has been pretty good and I haven't seen any drop.

Still curious if anyone has had experience with hairgrass in a low tech tank. So far there hasn't been much growth but no real die back either. The top does float on the top of the water so I think this is helping with CO2 but we'll see in the long term. If any members have had any experience or have any ideas of other plants for a low tech tank like this let me know. Thanks.