Nick's 75g first planted tank (algae help needed) - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #136
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Sorry for the poor pictures with this post, but all I have is my camera phone.

Firstly, the box is here, SQUEE!

The Wet Spot had expensive shipping, but box was lined with Styrofoam and had heat packs and each species was packages individually, and they obviously do know what they're doing on that end of things.

Pearl Gouramis. The dark one is the one who had jumped out. 5g bucket was at a 45 degree angle and he was thrashing around. He managed to hop a good 8-10" out of the bucket onto the counter, at which point he must have flopped down about 3-4 feet onto the carpeting. When I found him he wasn't moving, but seemed to be fine when I put him back into the water. Thankfully the cat didn't hear anything and stayed on the bed instead of coming to visit.

Bad pic, but Dwarf Chain Loaches.

Rosline's.

And for other tank, C. Habrosus.

I know this isn't for this tank, but the C. Habrosus are freaking tiny! And I know that my fish should leave them alone, but I am afraid their tiny size might end up being their downfall.

And for the tinyness of the Habrosus, the Pearl's are freaking huge! I'm glad I decided on these guys, really awesome looking fish and a nice contrast to the comparable sized Angel.

LOVE the Dwarf Chain Loaches. Even if they end up not eating snails for awhile because of their size I'm thrilled I went out of the way to get these guys instead of more common loaches. They'll stay relatively small and just look fantastic. And their personality is said to be better than other loaches, but time will tell on that.

And finally the Roseline's. Couldn't really get a good picture of them, but they seem to be having the hardest time adjusting. Slowly though they are swimming more and more throughout the tank.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #137
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looking good! Wish I knew you were ordering from them, I have been eyeing up a few fishes from them. We could have split the shipping.
longgonedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #138
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah crap, that sucks. When I eventually set up my 55g tank I'll likely do another order from them, so if you haven't ordered by that point we can go that route.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #139
MrAlmostWrong
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love my dwarf chain loaches. Definitely the more active fish in my 45 and always playing with each other and the other fish.
MrAlmostWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #140
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Ah crap, that sucks. When I eventually set up my 55g tank I'll likely do another order from them, so if you haven't ordered by that point we can go that route.
I'm fortunate enough to live two hours from the Wet Spot, and let me tell you, there's no place to buy fish from that's better! The place is simply epic.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #141
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
I'm fortunate enough to live two hours from the Wet Spot, and let me tell you, there's no place to buy fish from that's better! The place is simply epic.
Waa you stole my line my accursed best friend. Yeah the place is awesome, good choice.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #142
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
The Wet Spot had expensive shipping, but box was lined with Styrofoam and had heat packs and each species was packages individually, and they obviously do know what they're doing on that end of things.
Good to know!! I am planning on ordering from the Wet Spot in the future. I'd rather pay more for shipping for the sake of fish alone haha

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #143
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any updates?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #144
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

I live 15 minutes from the Wet Spot, I probably go there too much. haha
Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #145
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi guys, when LGD texted me last week it reminded me I've been neglecting this place and I wanted to give an update. I've been switching some plants around and recently received a HUGE Amazon Sword from LGD and once things start taking hold in their new homes I will take a few photos.

I've been battling for a couple of weeks with string algae, and spend a few minutes every few days picking it away from my plants. I've played with my lighting and haven't really found any solutions. When I met LGD at a LFS I ended up getting a trio of Flying Foxes, not just because they might help, but because they look great with the Roseline Sharks I have.

However this did get me thinking more about a natural solution to my problems, which has recently started to include a small amount of BBA. Doing some research it seems Nerite Snails are the solution, and should be too big for my Dwarf Chain Loaches to mess with. And although those loaches haven't eliminated the pond snail population, they've effectively kept the tank clean of eggs and have reduced the population to a handful. I found a good deal on Aquabid and am getting 20 Olive Nerite's, and will put 15 in this tank, leaving 5 to clean my other tank.

And I am VERY happy to report that this tank has been almost casualty free. Two of the nine Tetras died, but the Koi, Plecos, Gouramis, Red Tail Shark, Raphael Catfish, Roseline Sharks, and Dwarf Chain Loaches are all accounted for.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #146
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

How's the sword working out? Rest of the tank?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #147
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
How's the sword working out? Rest of the tank?
Been a kind of lazy with the tanks as of late, and was kinda annoyed as for the longest time I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my CO2 system. I think I finally found the leak, and have started getting the tank back in good working order. For awhile I had only Seachem Excel for CO2, and at the end of the day only the Sword, Red Tiger Lotus, Scarlet Temple, and some very small Cabomba has been left standing. The surprising thing is while there is some (I think) BBA on the driftwood, other algae has seemed to disappear.

On the plus side, the Olive Nerite Snails did a great job cleaning my small tank, but I didn't get enough for the big tank I think, so I just ordered 30, 25 of which will go in this tank. I also just got a pant package from someone here to help with the revitalization of that end of the tank.

The fish at least have been great through everything. For whatever reason the tetras didn't quite like the tank and are down to 6 from the original 9, but the rest are doing great. The Roseline's are definitely the best group of fish (Koi is still the standout) in the tank. They've gotten bigger, bright colored, and love to move around. Also love the Pearl's as they look great, and the Dwarf Chain Loaches eliminated the pond snails as planned and look great darting around the bottom. I think all 6 of them are alive, but can usually only count 4 or 5 at one time, though every few months it seems I get a glimpse of the full set.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #148
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, long overdue update. For the longest time I was on a pretty crappy autopilot, but recently have put a lot of time and money into revamping the tank. CO2 is running great and I built my own reactor. Added a bubble counter back to the setup, got the indicator working again, and now have great CO2 with no leaks for the first time. That got me to the point of some serious pearling.

With that squared away I've started to procure some more plants. I've weeded out some things that weren't doing great, and others I didn't like, and cut back the Sword considerably just to make room for plants to grow under it and with it. Also did a complete enearthing of most of my plants with an idea in mind of how I wanted things and where they would go.

In that image, you have Scarlet Temple in the front, with new Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan laced in the area which I hope will grow to provide a nice contract. In the back left there is (I believe) Rotala indica, Star Grass (quite possibly misidentified), Cabomba (going to need to get the red stuff back eventually), Limnophila aromatica and the cut back Amazon sword.

On this side I've moved and turned the drifwood, and replaced my old heater with a Jager Eheim. The plant in the back is Giant Ambulia, and to the left of the driftwood is my Red Tiger Lotus, and to the right is I think Hemianthus glomeratus. I expect the Tiger Lotus will soon be a much darker color as it once was.

I have just now installed a second diamond plate fixture, and am hoping I can keep them suspended off the tank. In the very front left I have a Java fern incoming. In the valley where the Tiger Lotus is I plan on planting Ludwigia Ovalis. I think it will go nicely with the Tiger Lotus. I'm REALLY hoping that next to the Java fern I can finally successfully grow some Blyxa. And finally, in the big open area in the middle I am going to rip [censored][censored][censored][censored] or bust finally make a carpet out of something. Currently I have a 2x2" bit of HC incoming.

Finally, you can see my new reactor, and with the need to have two timers going and [censored][censored][censored][censored] everywhere I installed one of those ridiculous work bench type power strips.

Current inhabitants are:
6 Roseline Sharks (No casualties!)
4 Blue Tetras (originally 9, feel really bad that they suffered so many losses.)
4 Dwarf Chain Loaches (originally 6, and if I ever place a Wet Spot order again, I'll get 6 more)
3 Pearl Gouramis (All good!)
3 Flying Foxes (All good!)
2 BN Plecos (All good!)
1 Koi Angelfish
1 Raphael Catfish
1 Purple Glo Tetra

That last one was not my idea, gf fell in love with "Penelope Pearl"
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #149
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, and I forgot one of my longest held fish:
1 Red Tailed Shark
And a dozen or two Olive Nerite Snails.

The Olives do a great job cleaning the tank, but something in my water must not be good for them, as there shells seem to get damaged over time. The Red Tail Shark has never been aggressive before, but recently if the Foxes try to nibble in the area where he is at he will chase them around for a bit. I've heard stories of Red Tails becoming problems as they get older, and I hope he doesn't get bad.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #150
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good plan Rush! Glad you see you didn't give up on this.