Tower 20 troubles- metric/us conversion piece
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Tower 20 troubles- metric/us conversion piece

If anyone has heard of or knows a place that sells a metric/US adapter for filling co2 bottles please let me know. I have this tower twenty and no way to fill it as everyone I call does not have a metric connection. If I cannot find a connection I will then have to find a place to swap out the whole valve assembly on the bottle to US and use the speed regulator adapter. I would like that to be the last option. I know they have the adapter for the regulator so I can only assume the same could be purchased to fill the bottle??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

What kind of metric conversion are you looking for?

I assume you want the CGA320 standard in the end; what do you have currently?

There is the Asian standard as well as the European standard, and both are different.

There are some threads once in awhile regarding JIS to CGA converters; I do not believe the last user had any luck finding one.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
TheGuy
Planted Member

Default Re: Tower 20 troubles- metric/us conversion piece

Guess I will have to sell it.. un usable

Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Cha-ching!
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
Cha-ching!
This would be the first time I am not happy about making money. This thing is beautiful and ada.... I just wish they would have thought about the US when manufacturing for international sales. I will try to do what I can first though of course

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

Why didn't you ask about it before you bought it? Sorry to be a butt but man you're dropping major cash on this stuff.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Why didn't you ask about it before you bought it? Sorry to be a butt but man you're dropping major cash on this stuff.
Never dawned on me and figured like the adaptor for regulator, I would find one for bottle or it be common. Which, it certainly isn't.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Spray paint a cylinder silver.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think I mentioned this to you in your build thread before you bought it (because I looked into getting one myself):

Places that fill CO2 I do not think are going to fill a metric bottle, which was my main concern even if there was a CGA adapter to metric. Safety reasons probably, the whole valve would need to be swapped before being filled.

Have you tried fitting a smaller tank like a 24 oz paintball canister in there?
If not I can't think of any solution. You could use the ADA disposable CO2 Advanced kit, that looks just as cool as the Tower I think.
You have to remember ADA is a Japanese company first and foremost that creates products for the Japanese market. Then the international market. That is probably the reason why no one in North America has one.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I think I mentioned this to you in your build thread before you bought it (because I looked into getting one myself):

Places that fill CO2 I do not think are going to fill a metric bottle, which was my main concern even if there was a CGA adapter to metric. Safety reasons probably, the whole valve would need to be swapped before being filled.

Have you tried fitting a smaller tank like a 24 oz paintball canister in there?
If not I can't think of any solution. You could use the ADA disposable CO2 Advanced kit, that looks just as cool as the Tower I think.
You have to remember ADA is a Japanese company first and foremost that creates products for the Japanese market. Then the international market. That is probably the reason why no one in North America has one.
The ones I called just don't have adapters. I'm going try to replace valve right now... ok

Update - do not ever buy a tower anything from ada muchless co2 bottle from overseas and here's why. All threads are metric so they cannot be filled, you cannot swap valves because the bottle also is metric. Then with there measurement system you cannot find a US bottle to fit the tower sleeve. Then icing on the cake, they aren't DOT stamped so no one will touch them. Yay

Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Update - do not ever buy a tower anything from ada muchless co2 bottle from overseas and here's why. All threads are metric so they cannot be filled, you cannot swap valves because the bottle also is metric. Then with there measurement system you cannot find a US bottle to fit the tower sleeve. Then icing on the cake, they aren't DOT stamped so no one will touch them. Yay
I never even heard of this thing until like 2 weeks ago and I was aware of the problem. Where did you buy it from? None of the US distributors seem to carry it and I would think if they would order it for you, they would tell you the issues. I would return it if you bought it from a reputable distributor.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I never even heard of this thing until like 2 weeks ago and I was aware of the problem. Where did you buy it from? None of the US distributors seem to carry it and I would think if they would order it for you, they would tell you the issues. I would return it if you bought it from a reputable distributor.
This is what I will try to do, I have already sent an email to frank at adg about the issue.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
This is what I will try to do, I have already sent an email to frank at adg about the issue.

I would think it would be pretty unreasonable for them to not accept the return if they didn't advise you of this issue. Some will go out of their way to find a rare part at the cost of ease of use but if they did not voice the issues, I think they should take the return. Hope it works out.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I would think it would be pretty unreasonable for them to not accept the return if they didn't advise you of this issue. Some will go out of their way to find a rare part at the cost of ease of use but if they did not voice the issues, I think they should take the return. Hope it works out.
Yeah same here, the only way it would work is that I would have to get a regular US bottle that is the exact same size. No matter what adapter I would get the bottle isn't stamped so no one will fill it or anything. And the sizes differ from us to Japan so the bottles won't be the same size. That's the whole problem.