Algae that is easily cleaned
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Algae that is easily cleaned

I have this type of algae that has growing lately, but it appears to be only on stagnant areas in my tank, usually on the plants. It can easily be sucked up with my gravel vac without much effort. It's dark green in appearance. Any ideas on what type? I can provide a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Sounds like blue green algae, which isn't really algae, but a bacteria that looks like algae. If it is, you need better water circulation to avoid the stagnant areas, mask off the gravel line and below to keep the light away from it, and make sure you have enough nitrate. A pic would help a lot.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Maazo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd watch this quite carefully eddie. Mine BGA plague started like this and took off in no time. If you start seeing it more of it on leaves, other measures beside increasing water movement might be needed like increasing nitrate levels. Mine tended to start formed on fine leaved plants first.
Maazo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
Marilyn1998
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had BGA, (still have a little) and have read that is smells musty.
Raise your nitrates and clean off as much as possible before it can get a good hold.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

I've been getting lazy with my planted tank. I want to rescape, but I'm currently moving fish around to different tanks. So I've let some plants just float around. Unfortunately, this has changed the water current and caused some stagnant areas. Those areas have started collecting the algae. I started removing some of my plants, becuase they were not actual aquatic plants, which reduced some of the algae. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow for confirmation.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

If it's BGA,it can be easily treated with Aquarium Products EM tablets. Just half-dose the tank. (1 tablet/20 gals.)

Tommy
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.