Check out my 10 diy co2 after 10 mins
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
izit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Check out my 10 diy co2 after 10 mins

2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of yeast

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=BpW7EFc795U
izit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

You seem to have used quite a bit of yeast; most people tend to use 1/2 a teaspoon at most.

With an increase in yeast used, you will definitely get a higher initial burst of CO2, but you may find that your mixture does not last as long.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

1 tsp. yeast isn't too unusual if it's a single bottle setup, which will have to be changed more frequently as noted.

Though 2 cups sugar, if it's in a common 2L bottle, is almost certainly too much. Taste the solution before you dispose of it. If there's more than just a trace of sweetness, you're wasting sugar and can reduce the amount.

It is impressive that it built up enough production and pressure to get that much output through a glass diffuser in only 10 minutes, so thanks for sharing the video!
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
izit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm using more yeast/sugar cause i'm running it with two tanks. I found it works best like that after a couple time messing with the ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
1 tsp. yeast isn't too unusual if it's a single bottle setup, which will have to be changed more frequently as noted.

Though 2 cups sugar, if it's in a common 2L bottle, is almost certainly too much. Taste the solution before you dispose of it. If there's more than just a trace of sweetness, you're wasting sugar and can reduce the amount.

It is impressive that it built up enough production and pressure to get that much output through a glass diffuser in only 10 minutes, so thanks for sharing the video!
izit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Question on DIY CO2. Can't you keep adding just more sugar to the yeast? Won't the yeast continue to grow? I remember years ago making a friendship cake. Someone would give you a "starter". And you'd add sugar and fruits to it to keep it going then you'd use the liquid and bake a cake with it. OK, what it was really doing was making mash. Which in turn would yield alcohol. Which went into the cake (minus what you drank). Sure it's not distilled down but I mean hey, it's alcohol.

Anyhow. After each addition of sugar/fruit syrup it would emit tons of CO2. Could it work the same for this where all you add is more sugar to keep the yeast going?
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Question on DIY CO2. Can't you keep adding just more sugar to the yeast? Won't the yeast continue to grow? I remember years ago making a friendship cake. Someone would give you a "starter". And you'd add sugar and fruits to it to keep it going then you'd use the liquid and bake a cake with it. OK, what it was really doing was making mash. Which in turn would yield alcohol. Which went into the cake (minus what you drank). Sure it's not distilled down but I mean hey, it's alcohol.

Anyhow. After each addition of sugar/fruit syrup it would emit tons of CO2. Could it work the same for this where all you add is more sugar to keep the yeast going?
The low pH and alcohol built up will inhibit the growth of the yeasts. I was told to flush most of the remain fluid and keep the floating "colonies", then add water, baking soda, sugar, w/o dry yeasts.
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

You may happy with DIY Co2 , but your fish will die soon. It had no way to stop it releases bubble . Your PH of water will go down fast
Plants need CO2, but fishes need O2
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
tipsy mcstager
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
You may happy with DIY Co2 , but your fish will die soon. It had no way to stop it releases bubble . Your PH of water will go down fast

lol, you mean you can't pull the tube off the bottle at night?

bethatasitmay........... thats what i use (2 cups of sugar,1 teaspoon of yeast) in a 3L bottle no baking soda, after mixing the sugar up in 2L of water i activate half the yeast in 1/2L of warm water, toss that in. and drop the other 1/2 of the yeast right on top and cap it.
10-15 min later it's flowing!!!

BUT, at best i get 2 to 2 and a half weeks out of it.
and a week out of the recovery tank (thats the 2nd bottle i'm diverting the C02 to at night with another valve)

i'm sure haveing it on the heat from the light helps alot also!

tipsy mcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinBear View Post
The low pH and alcohol built up will inhibit the growth of the yeasts. I was told to flush most of the remain fluid and keep the floating "colonies", then add water, baking soda, sugar, w/o dry yeasts.
Then how do you explain the growth of the yeast in the"friendship" cake starter? The yeast culture (colony?) stays alive and actually grows. Wouldn't the addition of additional sugars and splitting the starter keep it thriving?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
thinBear
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Then how do you explain the growth of the yeast in the"friendship" cake starter? The yeast culture (colony?) stays alive and actually grows. Wouldn't the addition of additional sugars and splitting the starter keep it thriving?
trying to recall biology class aerobic and anaerobic respiration long time ago...
sugar + O2 + yeast > CO2 + H2O + more heat
sugar + yeast > CO2 + Alcohol + less heat

When the alcohol concentration is too high, the yeast stops (not sure they die or just inactive); thus we need to remove or dilute the mixture before it completely stop producing gas (when the ethanol concentration is too high), if we want to recycle the yeast

(my English is not good, might misunderstand your question)

Last edited by thinBear; 03-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: fix english
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

As long as you keep adding more sugar, and diluting the alcohol with more water, it will work.

But there is one important difference between DIY and "friendship cake". Fruit has all the nutrients yeast need to multiply. Refined sugar has barely any nutritional value at all, and so many of the nutrients are limited, present mainly in only the yeast itself. That's what keeps yeast from multiplying endlessly and allows us to select a production rate by adding a certain amount of yeast.

So if water is ever replaced, you cannot remove any of the yeast, or the new solution will have a lower max population and production rate. You can add other nutritious ingredients, but then might end up with higher population and production rate. Neither is desirable in DIY CO2.

Folks who use expensive champagne yeasts for DIY wait for it to go dormant, at which point it sinks to the bottom, and the water can be carefully decanted off without losing much yeast. This works well enough to restart the DIY several times before production gets too far off the desired rate.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
I've been running a dual 2L bottle setup with a drop checker running yellow all the time, quite a fast rate of release of CO2. I have excellent plant growth. I have not lost fish.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

+1 Darkcobra

the yeast die at a certain percentage of alcohol, hence why different strains of yeast are used to make different types of alcohol, a champagne yeast is usually the higher alcohol yielding yeasts, most common bread yeasts will yeild 5 to 7 percent alcohol, some higher end wine yeasts will yield 7ish to 11,but they feed of natural sugar from fruit and champagne yeast will hit close to 15....I home brew....all grain beer, wine for the wife, done a few sweet meads. but using champagne yeast for DIY CO2 would be quite expensive. A turbo yeast from a homebrew store would yield more CO2 than say a grocery store bread yeast like Fleishmans.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Well now you got me looking it up.
Yeast, all yeasts, will in fact turn sugar, even raw sugar, into ethanol.
Yeast while fermenting said sugar is reproducing itself asexually.
Since it is reproducing colony is growing.
If alcohol is diluted and yeast is fed it should keep going. That's the idea behind the friendship cake. It is split and diluted so yeast keeps on going. Just like a Timex.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
tipsy mcstager
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
+1 Darkcobra

the yeast die at a certain percentage of alcohol, hence why different strains of yeast are used to make different types of alcohol, a champagne yeast is usually the higher alcohol yielding yeasts, most common bread yeasts will yeild 5 to 7 percent alcohol, some higher end wine yeasts will yield 7ish to 11,but they feed of natural sugar from fruit and champagne yeast will hit close to 15....I home brew....all grain beer, wine for the wife, done a few sweet meads. but using champagne yeast for DIY CO2 would be quite expensive. A turbo yeast from a homebrew store would yield more CO2 than say a grocery store bread yeast like Fleishmans.

nice to know such things!
"but using champagne yeast for DIY CO2 would be quite expensive."
how much is that stuff?

the Fleishmans is about $3.50 for three 1/4oz (7g) packs, and i'll get about 4 months out of 3 pack.
you think cost would offset longevity?
tipsy mcstager is offline   Reply With Quote