1g betta bowl build - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

thanks, im excited to see what it turns into

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Temp needs to be 78-82. A Betta will live in 75, but so can a human in 50F but not many do it (at least not without extra clothing LOL). 75 is the min you should go.

12 pellets is too much. 6 pellets twice a day is prob fine, but I wouldn't give it all at once. What pellets are you using? Remember, what comes in comes back out.

One fasting day seems to be a popular thing with Betta Enthusiast.

You are probably going to have to do daily, if not semi-daily 50% water changes. You have a 1gal bowl, but how much water is actually in there after the substrate and plants?

Also, watch for jumpers.

It is a nice looking bowl. However, most would suggest you use a min of 2.5 gal, preferably nothing less than 4. However, as long as you take care of water changes, unlike many who keep a Betta in a small bowl, you should be fine.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

DefStatic- ty, ty, ty

i will make the heater a priority then, the name of the pellets escape me but ive cut him back to about 6-8 a day. one gallon is an estimate after the rocks and plants but i think it is a touch bigger then that but havent given it a real measurement. if you look back a few posts, i was questioning if i was doing wc's too much at 25% every other day but i think what your saying is thats on point!

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
DefStatic- ty, ty, ty

i will make the heater a priority then, the name of the pellets escape me but ive cut him back to about 6-8 a day. one gallon is an estimate after the rocks and plants but i think it is a touch bigger then that but havent given it a real measurement. if you look back a few posts, i was questioning if i was doing wc's too much at 25% every other day but i think what your saying is thats on point!
In a planted bowl like that, 25% every other day is more than fine. The biggest problem is since there is such little water, any changes in the water will be immediately effecting the betta.

They are very hardy fish, yes. But doesn't mean they can or should tolerate much. And i have seen some Bettas that just do not like being in a 4gal+ tank. Well, I havent seen them, but from talking to other owners. Someone just recently on a Betta forum was talking about they transferred their Betta from a 1gal to a 5 gal and the Betta didn't like it.

You will see some Betta owners (like any other pet) who think anyone who doesnt have a 3+ gal tank and use the most expensive food and stuff is not a worthy owner. My only fear with Bettas are people who put them in .5 gal or less bowls and do not cover it and do not do semi daily water changes. Or do not treat and test their water.

As for feeding, they are like most fish and do not know when to stop eating. A fair amount of Bettas die from being over fed. I use New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. I had some Aqueon Betta Plus. The Aqueon is not HORRIBLE like some will make it out to be, but I did not like the inconsistent size of the pellets. And the NLS stuff is relatively the same price.

If you can find some way to ensure that the tank is staying at least 75 without a heater, I would say you are fine. 75 like I said is really the lowest you should go.

20% to 25% water changes every other day in a bowl like that, especially planted, should be more than fine. Just make sure you are treating the water appropriately.

Congrats on getting a Betta and providing it what looks like a great home!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

6 pellets twice a day is a crazy amount of food, especially in a 1 gallon bowl!

I would halve that if I were you - 3 pellets, twice a day - 6 pellets total. That's what I feed our full-grown bettas, even in a 5 gallon tank where they are much more active.

Edit: just saw you've already cut him back to 6-8 per day, great!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
6 pellets twice a day is a crazy amount of food, especially in a 1 gallon bowl!

I would halve that if I were you - 3 pellets, twice a day - 6 pellets total. That's what I feed our full-grown bettas, even in a 5 gallon tank where they are much more active.

Edit: just saw you've already cut him back to 6-8 per day, great!
I do 5 twice a day. Just never all at once. Then again, he is quite active and even with how I have the pump setup on my Evolve 4, there is still more flow than most where he prob has to work more.

I know not to feed him more than that, as they will eat and eat and eat if you keep going. But I can tell when he seems to be legit hungry, and not just waiting for more food.

I also do a fasting day each Sunday. Although that may change to Sat and Sun.

IDK, it can be tough. Today he hasn't relaxed at all. Usually he will rest a little by the intake or under one of the plants, and I haven't seen him do that at all today. Just pacing by the corner nearest me LOL. Maybe he needs even more sapce :-\
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default 1g betta bowl build

A well planted tank with actively growing plants should be able to hold good water parameters.

I usually dont change my water in the 1 gallon so often, unless im doing top ups, using the water to water my plants, etc
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #38
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

I had a very healthy happy Betta in a 3 gallon that ate 3 pellets at day. He lived with me for over two years and then was adopted my my neighbor.
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #39
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

Oh, I also fed him a green pea once a week. It is suppose to keep them regular?
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Fishface View Post
Oh, I also fed him a green pea once a week. It is suppose to keep them regular?
Actually, that's sort of a myth. Yes, it has fiber, but the betta is a true carnivore and can't really break the pea down to get any benefit from it. Daphnia (even frozen) is a better option for regularity. Lots of fiber!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #41
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tank is looking great!
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #42
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Actually, that's sort of a myth. Yes, it has fiber, but the betta is a true carnivore and can't really break the pea down to get any benefit from it. Daphnia (even frozen) is a better option for regularity. Lots of fiber!
brine shrimp works too. chitin counts as fiber.
but the pea wont hurt them, and can help with constipation, but i dont bother with them unless they have a problem. occasionally ill feed them an omnivore pellet.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
AdamC13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am new to planted tanks but not new to bettas and will say that them disliking larger tanks is a myth. Yes in an empty 5 gallon they will not be comfortable but with proper planting with enough spaces to hide you will truly see so much more personality from them. 2.5-5 gallons has worked best for me but that being said for a 1 gallon tank you couldn't have done better. As far as water changes 25% every other day is absolutely fine I generally do 30% every 3-4 days but that's probably about the same. Finally as for food I don't think anyone will argue that atison's betta pro is about the best damn betta food you can hope to find. I've had it bring translucent pet store bettas back to STRIKING color and they are always quick to eat it and none goes to waste I feed mine 3 pellets twice a day or 6 at once if time doesn't permit multiple feedings.
AdamC13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #44
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Tank is looking great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC13 View Post
but that being said for a 1 gallon tank you couldn't have done better.
thanks guys, im enjoying the bowl very much and am finding that i can stare at it for no less then 30 mins at a time

as far as food i am feeding just some of the aqueon pellets but plan on adding some more diversity to the menu here soon once i get the new 20L out of the DSM and get some more fish

as far as the water changing discussion, im trying to keep up a bit more until my proper test kit is delivered. once i have some real time info i might feel better letting it go and doing top offs if necessary

things are still looking really green and the crypts are sprouting new leaves like crazy. the dhg hasn't grown much but i do see the roots reaching down for the miracle grow.

also the heater i got was hagen marina 10w. it was kinda worrisome getting a non adjustable heater but i will say, so far, it has my tiny bowl at a constant 76 degrees so thats fine for now with me

will post an update photo down the road

thanks everyone for the discussion

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #45
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so im having a minor outbreak of brown diatom algae right now

i raised the light up a few inches and have gone back to doing a wc every few days

im not sure where to head from here but this brown diatom was the exact reason i took a break from the hobby in the past

this time, im going to beat the sh*t out of this stuff

too much phosphates, silica, not enough light, or just being a new tank, im going to start ruling them out one by one

also the dhg is starting to brown and die back but the roots have made it down to the MGOPM and new healthy runners are coming up everywhere

i would assume that its just adjusting to the new parameters and will grow back strong...

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.