Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 34
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #496
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Youre making yourself sound too old. What is your age? If you dont mind me asking.

Also, how the eff is that aromatica bleeding blood? Dam I just cant get mine to get red. Must be your perfect co2 lvls.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #497
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Now that is red! Beautiful setup!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #498
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Dev--Yes, it really has been. I don't know about you, but I do not put things like this hobby into perspective. I don't give it much thought, one scape to the next....maybe this last one took about 20 minutes total to think about and plan. I guess when you put it on paper (or in a Journal thread on the Interwebs, in this case), you can see how your earlier set ups impact your recent ones, even without you consciously realizing it. I would love to see some of Tom Barr's first tanks, and see what humble beginnings he started from to where he is now! Or, Oliver Knott. Perhaps even more so with the hobbyists here. I wonder if they would see the impact vs. time of their earlier works on their current set ups, or if they don't really give it much thought most of the time. What about you, Dev? Do you see an evolution between some of your first "completed" set ups to now? Does it cross your mind to build upon what you did the last time, or do you just "do" it?

--Thanks Brandon! Long story. At least I did it now, and don't have to explain it again. I can just say "see post #492 in my Journal...." Long-winded, though. I try to keep it "more pictures" than anything, and I was a little surprised about the length of it. I read through it, and I even thought to myself "Shut up, already!"

10gallon--Well, thank you kindly, Mister! We all start from some place, and it really is (at least) partially meant to show and explain that to others. I don't think anyone is born to aquascape. Perhaps some are inclined with a better eye for color, or pick up on the information more easily, or otherwise have more of a natural talent towards doing this hobby, but I believe that most of these things can be developed with enough time and patience in just about anyone with an interest in it. So, practice and challenge yourself, even if you fail miserably at it.....otherwise, you won't get anywhere with it, and the way you will tell is that you won't care about what it looks like. When you do care about it, it will never look good enough, and I think that is a good thing because it means that the drive to improve upon what you'v, e done is there. If that drive is still there, then you are open to trying new things and taking risks which would ultimately result in a tank that is not simply "eye-candy," but stands out from the rest. WHICH MEANS IT REMAINS FUN TO DO most of the time!!!!!!

Samee--I'm going to be 37 before too long. Old enough.
I attribute most of the coloration to nearly perfect growing conditions, or a nice polymorph of a plant that get appreciably colorful. That old tank had a base layer of kitty litter, then a good inch and a half of MTS, then another inch and a half of AquaSoil, and capped with Tahitian moon sand (for some reason). The nutrients were very ample in the substrate, and L. Aromatica does put out a healthy root system. I also dosed heavy EI, especially on the iron and phosphorus, and I had brand new Giesemann bulbs in there, too! Really, aside from keeping a nice maintenance and dosing schedule, I really didn't do that much. I probably just had a strain of it that colored up especially nicely, is all. Likely both! The CO2 was kept in ample supply as well! LOL!

--Thank you JEden8 for the compliment!

Last edited by crazydaz; 03-21-2013 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #499
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

ah don't feel that way, i read through the whole story on my phone enthralled. i never once thought shut up.
more of how the heck can this guy tell such a story? if i were to write that, it would say,
i planted, i failed, i planted i failed, today i got it. yay. insert pictures of failures here, and success here
Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #500
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for taking the time to type that all out. It's really nice to be able to see an evolution for a system or hobbyist all in one single spot, vs. having to hunt and dig through years of posts in long threads.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #501
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Believe me, I've had my journey too (still on it). I might give my scapes a bit too much thought. I started with reptiles and terrariums, and am used to literally fabricating the hardscape. I try to capture an overall theme or emotion and I've definitely seen a huge improvement from build to build with regards to aesthetics and technicalities. I typically approach new builds from the perspective of existing builds: what did I do that I could do better? What did I not do? What didn't work?

And most importantly, did I like how that turned out?

Whether by accident or not, I usually end up setting up the hardscapes for my aquariums well in advance of actually executing them. I walk by the tanks for days and make adjustments constantly. Usually its because I have the tank and hardscape before I have the substrate or equipment, but it forces me to constantly reevaluate my placement and overall strategy.

I'm an engineer by trade but also did freelance web / graphics design and some studio art - definitely helps me to have the perspective of both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Dev--Yes, it really has been. I don't know about you, but I do not put things like this hobby into perspective. I don't give it much thought, one scape to the next....maybe this last one took about 20 minutes total to think about and plan. I guess when you put it on paper (or in a Journal thread on the Interwebs, in this case), you can see how your earlier set ups impact your recent ones, even without you consciously realizing it. I would love to see some of Tom Barr's first tanks, and see what humble beginnings he started from to where he is now! Or, Oliver Knott. Perhaps even more so with the hobbyists here. I wonder if they would see the impact vs. time of their earlier works on their current set ups, or if they don't really give it much thought most of the time. What about you, Dev? Do you see an evolution between some of your first "completed" set ups to now? Does it cross your mind to build upon what you did the last time, or do you just "do" it?

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #502
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

Oh I have the drive this time. It also helps to finally have a decent job to be able to afford some of the nicer things or hobby has to offer. No co2 though. I plan on sketching out the layout of the plants today. I'm going to put a lot of thought and effort into it. Which pants need more light than others, the scape, etc. I'll post it on the new 55 journal so you can check it out and comment on it if you'd like. I'm gonna make it detailed. Well anyways I'm off to get the dirt!
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #503
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

ha! i remember that driftwood grass from APC. nice history lesson
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #504
caliherp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow this tank is incredible. Your Tillandsia's look great. I can't get mine to blush like that all the time even growing in the sun. If I had this tank at my house I'd never leave the room it's in. Truly stunning, well done.

Regards, Patrick
caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #505
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hey, thanks All for the responses! I'm in Chapel Hill for a work conference, so I won't be able to respond back to compliments and comments until some time tomorrow. So, I didn't want anyone to think I was being snooty!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #506
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Hey, thanks All for the responses! I'm in Chapel Hill for a work conference, so I won't be able to respond back to compliments and comments until some time tomorrow. So, I didn't want anyone to think I was being snooty!
HA we know ur a snoot
J/K
im still waiting on that conference call!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #507
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Yesterday was great! My flight got cancelled going from Atlanta to Nashville, I got put up in a very questionable Quality Inn, and got a very generous $6 meal voucher from Delta. The hotel room was a smoking room, and hey, I don't judge as I used to smoke too, but they aren't "preferable" for me now to sleep and dwell in. Just got home not too long ago. I'm tired.

Brandon, we still fail, sometimes in a colossal fashion, but it just doesn't happen as often now. I wouldn't say that "Yea, I got it!"; rather, I think "yea, things are going fine for the time being." It's just a matter of time. But, the good times typically are long-lasting. And, yes, we need to get together on the phone. Your work schedule is icky, though. But we'll make a plan and stick to it.

AYB--You're welcome! You wouldn't have found those pics on here! Thank you for making time to read through it!

Dev--I don't know how you do it, friend! If I had your background, I would go insane trying to make every last detail perfect! And "perfect" isn't natural-looking most of the time. Which isn't to say that the end result won't be spectacular....I know that I would go crazy with the tweaking. For me, that was part of the problem with the high growth tank before this current set up: constant trimming, pruning, replanting. It was a good day if I didn't have to stick my hands into the tank. Very similar to what Tom Barr has going on right now with his Dutch scape.....frankly, one of the most amazing things to me about that specific set up is that he still keeps it going and looking wonderful. I would call it quits after six months. Too much work requiring too much time. Though, to be fair, I had almost all fast-growing stems in my set up, so perhaps his doesn't necessarily require "constant" attention demanding a few hours every day or two. It doesn't "seem" to, at least.

10gallon! Have fun!! I've responded to the thread....cool to see that you are off on your journey!

NC! Man, you remember that? Haha! That grass became HUGE!!! It was so cool until it started rooting into my other plants and killing them. I was amazed that a simple grass would do that in an aquarium; I thought it would need to be rooted in substrate or would eventually drown itself. Nope! It cracked my driftwood when I tried to remove it. Pretty amazing!

Thank you very much Caliherp!! I was surprised because they were losing their color under my old 12-bulb system. 16 bulbs with superior reflectors seems to be enough to reverse that trend and add the color back in.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #508
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

I can be contacted any day after 6pm est. For what its worth
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #509
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

Just wondering, what's all in this tank? Fauna wise.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #510
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

10gallon--Not an inordinate amount of species. Amano, Tangerine, and Orange shrimp; Ramshorn, Pond, Nerite, and Sulawesi Snails; Otos, Pygmy Cories, Cory Hasbrosus; Cobalt Blue gobies; Boraras Merah, Microdevario kubotai, Bristlenose.