New "Petco Bookshelf"; 6.6 gallon long iwagumi...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

New "Petco Bookshelf"; 6.6 gallon long iwagumi...

I got one of those Petco Bookshelf Aquariums using that 50% off coupon last week. I was going to get a 3 gallon Mr. Aqua, but I couldn't turn away the Petco sale I guess... Turns out it's much better looking than I expected when the top/bottom rims are removed! It's not blatantly obvious that it's made of plastic, until you touch it/observe closely. My mom thought it was acrylic until I told her the truth LOL.

Yep, the rims on both top and bottom are removable, so it can be classified as rimless! Which looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, the top rim is still needed if you want to keep the light fixture that came with, since the fixture is a centimeter too short to just sit on top of the rimless tank... I wanted to do a white spray paint job of the top rim and light fixture. I always thought white looks classier than black for aquariums. Black is so overused.

But anyway!
I've always wanted to try my hand at an iwagumi piece... and have always wanted a long aquarium for it. This is going to be the one..! I'm overly excited.

I'm going to pick up some grey rocks around my neighborhood to use. Fortunately, they're the same kind of rock, so they will match. Too bad there's no seiryu or ryou stones just lying around. Where on earth do those random ebay sellers get their pods of seiryu stone anyway?! They can't all be buying from ADA and then reselling for a lower price? LOL

-ahem

I'm not planning on fish- at least not for the first few months as the plants grow in. I'm hoping for a small variety of carpet plants, not just DHG for the entire thing.

Going to try the dry start method, as I heard it works wonders for DHG and dwarf sag.

Mostly tentative specs:

Tank: 6.6 gallon Petco Bookshelf Aquarium
Lighting: T8 Daylight Fluorescent
Substrate: Playsand
Hardscape: random rocks... that match!
Flora: Taiwan Moss, Dwarf Hairgrass, Dwarf Sag, riccia (?)
Fauna: none anytime soon... but if any, most likely a shoal of some small species of tetra

*end rant

Last edited by caykuu; 09-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: edit
caykuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sent you a pm about seiryu stones
aznartist34 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Any updates on this tank ?

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

After half a year hiatus, under half an hour of setup, a wonky light fixture, and an ugly filter, here's the place.

.. with the only dwarf sag that I have to spare LOL. Open to carpet plant donations.... *puts on hobo hat

PHEW though. My first iwagumi, at long last, though there's currently not enough iwas to gumi.... ba dum CHING

I've been trying to keep the last of my DHG alive for the past few months, outside in the half-shade, but they've all but melted. Or they ran away to avoid my newbie aquarium skills. They're probably giggling behind my back right now for my lack of carpet plants.

(.....and check out my ghetto attempt to hide the filter.)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Soil
Algae Grower

Hey!

I love these long mini tanks Never had one but it seems fun to play around with dramatic tiny setups

I'm a newbie at this, but to me it seems the valley is too small compared to the right hill and ends up kind of like a by-product so to speaketh. I also guess that the reason for this is because the layout is too flat. Perhaps widen the valley a bit to the right, and make a higher more dominant hill? :0

Anyhow, I like the project!
Soil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey there, thanks for the input! Your layout idea makes sense! I think I will raise the second hill higher. It looks like I won't be planting dwarf hairgrass in the front anyway, so the substrate doesn't need to be so deep. Unfortunately, this is the only sand I have left to work with, so I can only sift it around.

As for widening the valley: design is difference. At least when it comes to layout/environment. I'm keeping in mind the 1/3 rule, and was actually considering moving the middle rocks more to the left to make the valley even smaller.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the white sand!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I scavenged some half-dead DHG and emersed-form four leaf clovers from a bucket in my backyard... I threw the stuff outside half a year ago when I revamped my 55g, and I've totally forgotten about it until now. I hope they can revive in this 6.6g, but I'm completely unsure if I have appropriate lighting.... and my lack of root tabs probably doesn't help either.

When the clovers convert to their submersed form, they'll be much shorter than they are now... Hopefully that will even happen one day, and it won't just all melt. :\

Last edited by caykuu; 03-26-2013 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: edit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.