Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #211
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That is one heck of a nice HC carpet! Are you running C02? Cuz I can't see a diffuser.

Nice work! I like it.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #212
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

hey frrok,

how goes it? how's it going on the rock? I have to get some more plastic for the pipes. not sure when that'll be but if I get around to it, maybe I'll make an extra one and send it to you.

assasin,

thanks. I'm using an external reactor and am running a 5lbs pressurized tank.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #213
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Fat Guy's ADA with hand made lily pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
hey frrok,

how goes it? how's it going on the rock? I have to get some more plastic for the pipes. not sure when that'll be but if I get around to it, maybe I'll make an extra one and send it to you.

assasin,

thanks. I'm using an external reactor and am running a 5lbs pressurized tank.
Rock is coming back to normal slowly but surely. Went out for a surf today after work...
That would be epic. I would love to have a Fat Guy lily pipe!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #214
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Just finished reading your thread. Quite a progression you've had with this tank! I love the simplicity and cleanliness of them all. Very nice!

Have you ever considered plugging the end of your suction line and drilling small holes rather than using the screen? I think it would look much better for this type of setup. Similar to the standard ADA glass tubes. You seem to have an affinity to making your own lily pipes.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #215
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice job on the lilys and the tank is a beauty!

Were you able to find the acrylic at your local hardware store, or did you have to order it from TAP Plastic?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #216
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Just finished reading your thread. Quite a progression you've had with this tank! I love the simplicity and cleanliness of them all. Very nice!

Have you ever considered plugging the end of your suction line and drilling small holes rather than using the screen? I think it would look much better for this type of setup. Similar to the standard ADA glass tubes. You seem to have an affinity to making your own lily pipes.
Thanks zorfox. I don't mind the screen. i like that it's easy to clean and keeps a lot of debris out of the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee View Post
Nice job on the lilys and the tank is a beauty!

Were you able to find the acrylic at your local hardware store, or did you have to order it from TAP Plastic?
thanks beedee. I picked up the tubing at a plastic store in chinatown here in nyc.

I just picked up some dry iron chelate form gla and made a mix to dose extra with my micros. the rotala seems to be responding very well and is showing some nice red coloration especially on the new growth.

the next purchases are going to be some plantex (in the distant future) and some shorter curved scissors to make the carpet trimming a little more manageable.

best, walt
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #217
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
The staghorn is completely gone. The best method for me was spot treating it with excel. Actually, the smartest thing I've done to treat it was to first remove the tank of its occupants. Tinkering with c02 and excel can be tough on the fauna...(and flora). I treated the tank for about a week. Half an hour before lights up I closed the valve for my filter so there was no current and treated the glosso with a dosing syringe of excel. After about 20-30 minutes, I reopened the filter valve and brought the current back in. I overdosed excel for three days then did a major water change and repeated for the first week. stahorn eventually turned grey then virtually transparent. I dosed more than the recommended amount which I know can be issue. There are zero inhabitants in the tank except for pond snails. My pond snail population did diminish significantly after dosing. I dosed between 5-10ml. after a week I did a 75% water change and resumed daily maintenance without excel. I have to say that excel did the trick, however I noticed a difference in the growth of my glosso after the first couple of days. The plants were not pearling and to me the new growth seemed thin. After the last major water change and ferts plants have bounced back. I read that there is a risk of damaging your plants by overdosing excel. I felt like I was walking a very fine line. Finally, though, the staghorn is gone. I've tried very hard to be patient. With such a small tank there is ver little room for error.

Got some 12" tweezers today from Southern Oak aquatics. $20 and free shipping. They work very well. If I were to purchase such a product again, I would go with 10" ones. These are great, just take some getting used to.

Redid my 4dkh recipe for my drop checker. After 4 hours the drop checker is green. Big thanks to the barrreport.com and its members for the recipe:

I used Billionzz recipe found here: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...7-Dkh-4-Recipe

and followed it to the T.

I weighed every element instead of measuring on my graduated cylinder. The graduated cylinder I have is inaccurate.

Have to say, this recipe make me feel much more confident in getting a general estimate of co2.

All plants are pearling. Again. glad I switched to the 18w bulb. Hairgrass is shooting out multiple runners too. Going to do a tank trim tomorrow. some glosso is still growing high while others are growing horizontally.

All the best,

Walter

Are those tongs very thin at the ends? what is the measurement in mm?

I currently have the Fluval Flora Stainless Steel Planting Tongs and the ends are too thick at 3mm making it really hard to plant.
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #218
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
Are those tongs very thin at the ends? what is the measurement in mm?

I currently have the Fluval Flora Stainless Steel Planting Tongs and the ends are too thick at 3mm making it really hard to plant.
i don't know the measurement in mm, but I haven't had any trouble using them for planting. If I were to get another set I would choose ones that had more grip at the end. these ones are smooth and I just use them for planting/removing any random debris. sometimes they lose their grip of the plant. but for the price, they serve me very well.

not much to report for today, just letting the rotala get resettled after the trim. gonna get a shorter set of curved scissors. Have also cut my photo period down to about 6.5 hours. don't want to get ahead of myself. also, vinegar and water has proven to be the best glass cleaner when cleaning the outside glass of the tank.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #219
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

could you get the thickness of the ends on the planting tong for me please!

Also, if you could buy better ones, what planting tongs were you looking at?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #220
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

been away for some time. changed things up.

dhg and mini glosso (elatine hydropiper- that I purchased from a member here). wish more came with the order but am excited to see it grow. this is a shoddy photo but I wanted to snap a pic of the new layout now in order to compare how the plants fill in later. can't kill dhg, that's for sure. or pond snails. the tank was empty for over a week. I pulled everything out after my hc carpet got out of control (neglect). so this is a fresh start. same old aquasoil, different rock work. you can only see the dhg in the background. the e. hydropiper is going to be the foreground when it settles in. thanks for looking. -el gordo

Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #221
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

The new scape looks awesome.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #222
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I liked the old scape but new one is a big improvement. Curious how the mini glosso carpet turns out. I have seen the plant before but I don't think I have seen a full carpet of it in a journal yet.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #223
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Just stumbled on to this thread. Really liking all the iterations the tank has gone through! Keep us posted on your success with the hydropiper please.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #224
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

New scape looks good! Hydropiper looks like a great compliment.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #225
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

I have a lot of E hydropiper, but, as soon as I add it to the tanks, fish tend to pull it out or the shrimp. I grow it attached to some moss at the surface, even at 84F, it grows great.

Fine ADA powder and few fish/shrimp messing with it, lots of light, it should do well.

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.