Fluval Edge 6 LED strip light mod
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Couv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fluval Edge 6 LED strip light mod

After prowling the forums a bunch and trying to decide how to improve the lights on my Edge, I found a forum post by 600rr http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=165249

I decided to do the same thing and make a more detailed log of how to make the light.

First I ordered 4 things from superbrightleds.com (cost ~$38):
NFLS-X3 (specifically NFLS-CW30X3) 6500k strip light, 50cm
12V DC Power supply 15watts
90 degree solderless NFLS-X3 connector x 2
NFLS-X3 compatible adapter cable with clamp

Of note, when ordering from this site, be sure that the accessories are for the specific strip that you are ordering, as there are multiple size strips.

I then cut the strip into 3 separate pieces, cutting off the wires that came stock

Attached the cut strips to make a U using the 90 degree connectors. Then connected the power supply with the ordered cable

(The strips have a + and - on them that must be continuous through the 90 degree connectors or they won't work)

I couldn't figure out a good way to cover the strip. I had made a couple trips to Lowe's and Home Depot before finding what would work well...an on-wall wiring metal channel. 1.9cm wide and 5 feet was $6. This I cut into sections to cover the light using a hack saw. I then spray-painted the sections black with flat black spraypaint.

The strip light then slid into these sections and I put it on the top of the tank and now the light spread is MUCH better. I'll take another picture in the dark as it's pretty bright in my office during the day.

(tank isn't really setup up right now...pardon the bubbles and mess)

Last edited by Couv; 03-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Couv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora

wow thats very clean looking. So would that bring it up to a high light now? and sorry to sound stupid, but what do u plug the new strip into? looks like a comp port not a wall plug
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

That is the nicest DIY Led mod on the Fluval Edge, good stuff! Got anymore pictures of the process?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Couv
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
wow thats very clean looking. So would that bring it up to a high light now? and sorry to sound stupid, but what do u plug the new strip into? looks like a comp port not a wall plug
I don't have access to a PAR meter, so I'm not able to figure out how much light is there. It's MUCH brighter than the stock LED's though.

That plug you see is the strip adapter that plugs into the power supply that has the wall plug. Check out the LED website and it shows a pic of the power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish
That is the nicest DIY Led mod on the Fluval Edge, good stuff! Got anymore pictures of the process?
Those pictures basically are the whole process. Other than that it was just plugging things in, which superbrightleds has videos that show exactly how to do this.

The black cover was just cut at 45 degree angles. Just have to be sure to measure the correct lengths for the inside/outside distances as otherwise things won't line up right
Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Wow great mod... I have a GEN 1 edge and I'm considering upgrading the light as well. What do you use to get the precise 45 angles? Anyway, do you think this is superior to just buying the edge 12g led replacement arm and installing it on the 6g? The price is close and don't know if the DIY effort is worth it.. Thanks! Great job and thanks for sharing!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Cool, I bet you could sell those! I'd buy one!
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Couv
Algae Grower

the 45 degree angles I cut free hand with a hack saw...They're not perfect, but i put a little glue on the corners and they fit close enough.

What I like about it is that it's out past the top of the edge so you dont get that spotlight effect on the center area
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well great job because they look perfect to me! LOL

I'm with Alaskan Fishface on selling them!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
ryguy76
Algae Grower

Nice, Couv!!

I too made a lightbar last month, based on 600rr's light mod, with my own additional ideas.

I posted my build on the "edge thread" and ended up quite happy with the results.

here's my post on it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...postcount=1834
ryguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
freeleo3
Algae Grower

That actually looks really nice. I've been trying to figure out a way to boost the light on the edge without interfering with the look of the tank too much. I've known all along that it isn't the greatest tank design from an accessibility/maintenance standpoint, but I'm obsessed with the way it looks, so I put up with it haha. I just have a few quick questions:

1. Did you go for the waterproof LED strips, or did you decide that the metal channels were adequate?

2. Does the light reach the corners of the tank? That's the primary problem I have with mine right now because the light really only illuminates the center.

3. Does this lighting system put off a lot of heat, or does it stay relatively cool?

Thanks for the post and any help!
freeleo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Couv
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeleo3 View Post

1. Did you go for the waterproof LED strips, or did you decide that the metal channels were adequate?

2. Does the light reach the corners of the tank? That's the primary problem I have with mine right now because the light really only illuminates the center.

3. Does this lighting system put off a lot of heat, or does it stay relatively cool?

Thanks for the post and any help!

1. Just regular strips. When I do water changes or something I always have a towel on top of the tank and I'm pretty careful...that said, if there was a ton of water, it could be a problem.

2. The corners aren't that bright. If you wanted more light into the corners, you could always change the shape of the bars. For instance make the top piece 30cm instead of the 20cm that hugs the stock top.

3. The metal cover is barely hot to touch and my house is generally about 76 degrees this time of year. I have a Fluval E50 heater and it is pretty much always in the 77-78 range.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I saw someone else on here upgrade the LEDs and add snuck in some sort of CFL. I almost wanted to run out and grab an Edge just because of it.

This is nice too though.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote