Supreme Red dying and a Supreme Red changing to a blueish color
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Supreme Red dying and a Supreme Red changing to a blueish color

I've been having the same problem for about a month ago from my first post. From my first post my Supreme Red that are housed in 20g long with CBS/CRS were dying slowly. One at a time, all signs are normal. They all eat and are active. The only shrimps that were dying was the Supreme Red not the CBS/CRS. I stopped worrying because they stopped dying.

Until recently, I ordered some Supreme Red from Nick's group buy and they were doing good for a few week. Yesterday I noticed one that was acting weird and that one die after a few hours and today I came home to a Supreme Red that was lying upside down looks dead but when I picked it up the little legs moved a little. Only the Supreme Red are dying and NOT the CBS/CRS

All these shrimps eat Shikikura, Boreno wild spinich, and grow, also along with some Hikiri shrimp cusine. I feed every 2-3 days.

Here are the water condition

Tank is Co2 injected
100% RO water, I change about 20% every 2 weeks occasionally once a week.
pH 6.0
GH 6.72
Kh 0 Not sure if it is zero because on the tester (tetra KH) I turned yellow color after one drop. It says that each drop is 1/2 KH. So my KH is either 1/2 or 0
ammonia 0
No2 less than 0.3 I do not have a No3 test.

Here is a video of the shrimp that ended up dying and the PFR that is turning blueish color.

20G long Supreme Red CBS/CRS

Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's weird. What's the TDS? You're using 100% RO water, with any re-mineralization?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

pH too low maybe? Even though it's in the "range", IMO if you are at one extreme or another, it's not a great situation. I personally prefer to try and stay within the limits rather than at one extreme end or the other. That's the only thing that really sticks out to me, especially if the other shrimp are doing ok.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
That's weird. What's the TDS? You're using 100% RO water, with any re-mineralization?
I do not have a TDS meter but I do not dose fertz so TDS should not be too high. I do re-mineralization with the fluval shrimp thingy until I get my desired GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
pH too low maybe? Even though it's in the "range", IMO if you are at one extreme or another, it's not a great situation. I personally prefer to try and stay within the limits rather than at one extreme end or the other. That's the only thing that really sticks out to me, especially if the other shrimp are doing ok.
I was figuring that the pH might be too low. pH 6.0 is on the low side. It's only at 6.0 when I'm running the Co2 at night. But the day time comes I think the pH drops to around 6.5-6.8. I do have a timmer on my Co2 to turn it on during the day for about 1 hour so that i won't get as much of a pH swing.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That ph swing is probably not helpful, why not disconnect your c02 at night? You might gas the shrimp accidentally.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
That ph swing is probably not helpful, why not disconnect your c02 at night? You might gas the shrimp accidentally.
I'm only injecting a very low amount 1bps. I need it for my UG. I have the Co2 on at night because that is when I have my lights on. I changed the light on from days to night because of summer to minimize the temp in the tank and left it that way since.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh now I understand. No expert... so I'm stumped too. I bought some of Nick's Supreme Fire Reds too during his sale, all doing well (so far).

Tags
cbs, crs, pfr, shrimp dying