i'm losing lots of fish eggs.. help?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

i'm losing lots of fish eggs.. help?

Specifically, angels and cory cats... I, as of three days ago, decided to try API's Liquid Fungus Cure to combat the eggs turning white. I had less than ten out of about 80 eggs defunct before the second dose of treatment was even do.. my water is hard, but constant 100% losses is killing me. I have hard water and understand that hatch rates for soft water fish will be greatly reduced... ^%$#*^&($^%$^# wow... should i try again or move the would-be parents to a smaller tank to remove them and treat later? try a different med?

^this was an angel spawn on a crypt leaf that i clipped and moved into a hob bubble powered finnex breeder
-same erything as normal, plus the meds to try and prevent eggrot...

Last edited by steven p; 03-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: ^then foreward
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If your determined to keep them, and wan't to do so in the future to grow out a egg tumbler is a great cheap investment. You can buy one or make one out of a 2 liter. Cory's are notorious for eating their eggs,angels will learn with experience.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: i'm losing lots of fish eggs.. help?

With the angels do you know for sure if your have a pair, have you been able to observe them while they are spawning and make sure that you actually have a male and female? Also if they just started spawning it can take some time for them to get things right.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
With the angels do you know for sure if your have a pair, have you been able to observe them while they are spawning and make sure that you actually have a male and female? Also if they just started spawning it can take some time for them to get things right.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
I have two pairs of angels, two boys and two girls... I watch them spawn all the time.. then they wait a good few hours and all have a pow-wow and eat the eggs. Even when I remove the eggs from the angels, they almost always white out on me within a day. Big clutches of Cory cat eggs sit there and turn white, even in good flow.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

High calcium content I've read can make it hard for the male to get the job done yet others post that having hard water doesn't effect their fish.
White eggs (usually within 48hrs.) = infertile / fuzzy = fungus.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Poor little would-be fish.. there are a few wigglers. Next time I will try agitating the water with a low flow stone.

This is at least a small success for me. I haven't gotten any other angels this far..
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
koldsoup
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

In my experience, a lot of cory eggs don't get inseminated so they're basically studs. It's the ones that don't turn white that are viable.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

when i pulled the eggs from my angels i put them in a breeder box with normal tap water, the chlorine in tap will help fight fungus and also a couple drops of hydrogen proxide. i think i was told something like 1ml to 5 gal water but since im not using that much water in a breeder i just put a few drops. heat is a big deal too if they get to cold they will go bad. i had an air stone right over the eggs moving the water. when they started to become wiggles i would use tank water a couple times a day to change water so they had fresh. and did it like that till they were big enough to not fit though the sponge i used to keep them inside the breeder box. once they were big enough i hooked the air pump up so it would pump the tank water though the box constangly. i would only turn it off at feeding time and would turn it back on an hour later. you can also get methblue to help keep the eggs from going white and fuzzy. i dont have any and no place around me sells it but you can order it on line
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Chloramines... Might as well try it... If I don't intervene they won't likely survive at any rate. Experimentation time...

It's warming up, air temps will help with my lack of spare 50w heaters. Maybe some baby angels will help me gear up soon...

#dreaming
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
steven p
Wannabe Guru

So, as luck would have it... I actually have 3 girls and a boy... I had been trying to save batches of eggs from a lesbian couple...

Bums me out... But they're still pretty girls.

Last edited by steven p; 03-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: img
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

yeah that can happen, a female will play a males roll. only way to sex for sure is see them in the act or mine will have the parts down a few days before laying eggs.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Yeah... The big striped girl is definitely dominant... The marbled would always go first, closely and carefully followed by its partner.

Here's the other pair, the girl was a green terror's victim until I took her in. She's still got visible damage that I do not think will ever heal properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb62...e_gdata_player
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Once they finish spawning... Ill move their eggs to the box again... Also... They spawned like a week ago. Should I turn down my heater/draw the shades down... Daily low is 78, high is 82 with clear sun.