Trash find! A big piece of glass!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
ajmckay
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Trash find! A big piece of glass!

Okay so you know how it goes... Driving down your street before trash day - your head takes little glances over at the trash cans & piles lying at the ends of driveways...

Normally there isn't anything of interest but tonight I found a huge piece of glass! Loaded that thing into my car as inconspicuously as possible and took it home.

Here are the specs:
Size: 55" x 30"
Thickness: 5/16"
Edges: slightly beveled and look polished (just dirty in pic)
Flaws: 4 holes around the perimeter and a score mark, as though someone tried to cut it on a diagonal. They are marked in the drawing attached below.

So here's my question... What should I do with this thing? I've got a 36" x 18" piece of 1/2" glass lying around as well. I've always wanted a rimless cube, I'm trying to figure out how to chop this thing up so as to maximize the good glass. Other than the score line it looks pretty good. I honestly have no idea what it was used for.

v That isn't a hole in the middle, just a water ring or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glass1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	110282  

ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice find! The other piece of glass is the size of the bottom of a 40b, you should make a 40 gallon breeder. Just cut out sides for the tank.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

It isn't enough glass to make a 40B, as far as I can see. The score mark and the holes greatly reduce your options, even if you use the piece of .5 inch glass for the bottom. You might get a 16 inch high, 32 inch long tank made, about a 40 gallon, but with odd dimensions. I didn't check to see if the glass thickness is enough for that size tank. I don't think it is.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

nice find...

I'm guessing it might have used to be a shower door?

before you even think about cutting it, try to figure out if it's tempered. Easiest (but least likely to provide any info) would be to look over it for any etchings/markings stating it's tempered.

Failing that, I'd look along the edges for that characteristic conchoidal fracturing. Finding some wouldn't necessarily mean it's not tempered, but it would be some evidence towards that.

There is a way you can check for whether glass is tempered or not using polarized lenses (you can get these from the 3D glasses in movies). I'm not sure on the specifics for checking tempered, but play with the lenses alone first, then with a piece of non-tempered glass, and then your new piece. Stack the lenses on top of each other, and look through both of them, and rotate just one of the lenses while you do this. There should be a point where they are almost completely black, and then it should get brightest about ~90 degrees from that arrangement.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
ajmckay
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
nice find...

I'm guessing it might have used to be a shower door?

before you even think about cutting it, try to figure out if it's tempered. Easiest (but least likely to provide any info) would be to look over it for any etchings/markings stating it's tempered.

Failing that, I'd look along the edges for that characteristic conchoidal fracturing. Finding some wouldn't necessarily mean it's not tempered, but it would be some evidence towards that.

There is a way you can check for whether glass is tempered or not using polarized lenses (you can get these from the 3D glasses in movies). I'm not sure on the specifics for checking tempered, but play with the lenses alone first, then with a piece of non-tempered glass, and then your new piece. Stack the lenses on top of each other, and look through both of them, and rotate just one of the lenses while you do this. There should be a point where they are almost completely black, and then it should get brightest about ~90 degrees from that arrangement.
Good idea - it probably was a shower door. The top holes to hang it and the middle holes for the handle. I'm not sure what the big score mark is though.

Also good point about it possibly being tempered. If it were a shower door I'm sure it would be tempered, right? I'll check with some polarized lenses to see if it's tempered...

If it is tempered I can cut it with a diamond wet saw, correct? I have one of those I use to cut ceramic tile.

As for uses, I think a 14" cube would be pretty cool. I've never had a cube but I've always wanted one. So far I've figured out how to cut the glass such that 3 pieces would have a polished & beveled top edge. I'll see if I can work in a 4th, but I'm thinking I may have to polish that edge up myself. How cool would it be to have a 14" cube for free
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nice find! Free glass is always nice

I don't think it is possible to cut tempered glass at all. They temper it once its the size that is needed. It is hard to find float glass any more. Most glass that is used in homes is tempered because it is a lot less dangerous than float.

If you have some polarized glasses, look at the back window of a car and compare it to the glass. If they look the same its tempered.

If its not tempered, the score mark will prove difficult to cut if your new cut line intersects that one. Most of the time glass will break on an existing score line.

If it is tempered, you have yourself a new bottom for a 55x30 tank
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
genocdex
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

you could do a 18x18x15" using 2 holes as a sump style of filter or just the in and out for a canister filter.....
they might be too small, might need to increase them a bit. but a that should be at least 25g tank for you, using the 1/2 for bottom....
genocdex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
ajmckay
Algae Grower

Hmm... I'm not getting 18x15 to fit (without using the scored piece or using the holes)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
genocdex
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

im saying to use the holes. cut off the right most 2, they are too close to the end. but then the remaining 2 you can work into the tank for a canister filter intake and output. kinda like how many people like to do sw tanks. just have to make them a bit bigger (maybe) and buy the bulk head plumbing...
genocdex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

try this to see if it's tempered
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Do a plywood tank with the 36" piece.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
ajmckay
Algae Grower

Nice link!

Using a few methods I was able to determine for sure that the glass is in-fact tempered.

I'm soo bummed...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmckay View Post
Nice link!

Using a few methods I was able to determine for sure that the glass is in-fact tempered.

I'm soo bummed...
It will be easy to dispose of. Lay down a tarp. Lay glass on it. Toss a hammer onto it. Sweep up the glass gravel and dump in the garbage can.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
ajmckay
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It will be easy to dispose of. Lay down a tarp. Lay glass on it. Toss a hammer onto it. Sweep up the glass gravel and dump in the garbage can.
Honestly that sounds like it would be really fun to do... Look for the Youtube video.

I think the people that put it out were hoping someone would pick it up 'cause I don't think the garbage truck would take it away so easily... Mine around here are pretty strict with lengths and weights. This piece of glass probably exceeds both limits.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Use it for the bottom of an aquarium. 55x30 would be a really nice deep tank. Or there might be a DIYer out there looking for a cheap foundation for their tank. I'd think about taking it off your hands if I was anywhere near your neighborhood.

Or break it which is lots of fun too
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.