From the wonderful people at Southern Oak Aquatics
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

From the wonderful people at Southern Oak Aquatics

I've been eyeing the MarinePure bio balls for a while and finally got some. I bought 20 thinking that would be enough for my HOB but in reality it was barely enough to fill half.

Anyway, I thought I'd share pictures of my application. I'll try to report back in a few weeks with any results I notice. I'll probably buy more in the future to fill the rest of my HOB. Its about time I have some real media in my HOB instead of the lousy stock cartridges.

Out of the box and rinsed in the bag:

In the HOB

A lot of people say just use lava rock, and while that may very well work, these look like they'll flow water through them better than lava rock will.

I was very please to work with Darkestsky. Very good communication and product showed up in 2 days!
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Yeah I've been eying this media as well....Clay really brought in something cool @ southernoakaquatics. Post some reviews.

He also sells filter foam so maybe you want to put that before the media. You need to catch the dead plant material etc so it doesn't clog up the media balls.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=156274
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
.....You need to catch the dead plant material etc so it doesn't clog up the media balls......
Thanks for the tip. I did put a piece of filter mesh in the intake chamber in my HOB to catch any plant mulm that wasn't caught by the intake guard.

I thought I'd update how they're doing. Its been just over 2 weeks and everything is just dandy. By now my HOB would be quite sluggish from clogged filter cartridges, but these are working great and flow is steady. No noticeable mini cycle from the 100% changing of filter media, but I'm pretty well planted with lots of floaters so I'm sure they sucked up any excess ammonia that the new media couldn't handle.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

great to hear
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote