Turquoise Rainbow bully
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
QuoVadis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Turquoise Rainbow bully

Anyone ever had these guys beat each other up? About once a week one one of my rainbows (The second largest I think) gets kind of beat up by the largest (I assume, haven't actually seen it) It then hangs out in the Vals by the filter a lot for a few days, and starts looking better, comes out again and then a couple days later the same thing seems to happen. The damage isn't terrible but it is definitely noticeable and this has been happening consistently for at least a month. I have never experienced this type of bullying in schooling fish before, even with supposedly nippy schoolers like Tiger barbs, serpaes, etc. The rainbows (there are 5) are in a 55g with many other fish, including small ones like neons, otos, ect., and they never bother anyone except maybe when I first introduce a new fish they think I'm feeding them and chase the "food" around for a bit till they realized their stomachs fooled them (they are huge pigs).

I'm guessing this is a dominance issue having to do with genders? I have read that males are deeper bodied than females, so I assume my largest one is a male, but I also read that females are uncommon in the hobby, so I assumed I had all males, and that the biggest one was just, well, bigger. Is this likely or do I probably have males and females and my one guy is getting beat up because he is the odd man out?
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.