African Dwarf Frogs Dead. Detective work anyone?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
KaryPerry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

African Dwarf Frogs Dead. Detective work anyone?

A little history first...I have a 10 gallon I tore down after a bacterial infection about 6 months ago. I set it back up using the Walstad Method. My betta, 1 ADF, and a nerite snail survived.

After letting the tank cycle and settle, I bought 2 baby ADF frogs 2 months ago to give mine some friends again. There was one dead baby in the tiny breeder box they had them in at the Petco. I put them in quarantine for 5 weeks, then drip acclimated them over to my 10 gallon.

My betta only flared at them on occasion. Never attacked. The big fat female ADF I already had picked on them a little the first few days. About a week after moving them in 1 baby died. A week later the other. A week later my fat girl I have had for about a 1 1/2 years.

I feed them liberally frozen brine, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried tubifex worms. I have a sand bottom tank for them. My tank always reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. My pH is stable at 7.2.

The only thing I can think may have bothered them is I usually keep the temp at 76. I noticed last night it got bumped to 80 after my last cleaning a week ago. Turned it back down last night. This morning my big girl was dead. They had no signs of red leg I could see. They all started hiding a lot a few days before dying.

I was going to try some pygmy cories in here, but now I am scared there is something wrong with my tank again.

Crappy tank pic...
KaryPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sadly, many of those little frogs are doomed from the beginning. Make sure your ammo and nitrite readings are 0 and nitrates are under control.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
QuoVadis
Planted Member

I have kept many "difficult" fish no problem and have numerous healthy tanks, but I have never been able to keep dwarf frogs alive more than a couple weeks. And I love them so much and have tried at least ten times over the years. They just always die, for no reason I can figure it out. If anyone knows why they they are "doomed", and how to keep them successfully let me know as well, because I'd love to keep them... I just haven't been able to, even though I have done tons of research on them!
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

From the little I have read, live foods appropriate to size seem important. All the little guys I see in stores look absolutely starved.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
KaryPerry
Algae Grower

I have done a ton of research too. I know they need sand to feed off of. I know mine did not take the pellets, only frozen foods. I had a turkey blaster I was feeding the babies with. They were thin, but put on weight while I had them in quarantine. I know the one I had for a year and a half was not starving. She doubled in size and was a little fat. The only thing I can figure is a 5 week quarantine was not enough.
KaryPerry is offline   Reply With Quote