Dosing a 5.5 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Dosing a 5.5 gallon

What's a good regiment for dosing a hi-light, DIY co2 5.5 gallon? I'd been getting away without dosing due to having a dirted substrate, but that's not keeping the growth up anymore, and now algae is running more rampant as plants aren't growing as well and some are just straight up withering away.

Suggestions? I'm thinking maybe doing a modified EI method, since I know how EI works, but I'm also thinking of trying out PPS Pro or something like that.

Also considering using excel regularly, so just give me a good suggestion of how much of that to use in this size tank and when to use it. Thanks in advance.
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Fert dosing guidelines for the method of your choice you could find on the interwebs easy, and excel dosing is on the package...so if the question is really about how to get an accurate consistent amount of various ferts in a little tank, I do liquid EI dosing on my nanos like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	112530
You can get graduated pipettes to measure out stuff @ much smaller increments than 0.1 ml. The pipette pump (blue thing) is a godsend.

Also, not sure if 5.5 gals is true water volume or nominal volume based on outside dimensions. But you'd need to know your true water volume. If 5.5 gals is published volume, your true volume is probably 1-1.5 gals less than that.
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote