Drop checker question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
foster
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

Drop checker question

For those using a drop checker with pressurized co2. Does your DC turn blue again at overnight when the co2 is off. I have mine on a timer, so it shuts off over night.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Yes the solution turns blue overnight. It also turns blue during a water change when it is exposed to the air.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
youdontknowme
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

mine wont turn yellow , it only stays green even if i turn up from 1 bps to 3 bps . any idea why ?
youdontknowme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Whether it turns blue depends on how fast CO2 outgasses from the tank. And how fast the drop checker responds, which varies by design.

While the old pH/kH/CO2 chart method isn't very good at determining exact CO2 levels, it's quite good at determining relative levels, like how much CO2 changes over time. And unlike a drop checker, there is NO response delay.

If the drop checker won't respond as expected - like refusing to turn yellow regardless of how long it's exposed to elevated CO2 - then the solution might be contaminated. Try replacing it before going on to look for other causes.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

If the fish are acting normally then you can tweak the CO2 more. Don't go by bps or the color of the drop checker. 3bps may be not enough and 3.432bps may be too much. Drop checkers are pretty things that will tell you your tank is empty, a line kinked or some other problem more than whether you have the best amount of CO2 in the tank possible. Be sure you have good water movement throughout the tank and a ripple on the surface of the water.

Don't tweak unless you are going to be near the tank for most of the time the gas is on. I have gassed fish within 5 minutes and 5 hours of gas on.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't even use my drop checker any more. I took a Saturday with nothing to do but home work, and kept inching the CO2 in one hour changes, when the angels headed to the top for air, I dialed it back to the previous hours setting. Mine is on a timer and I run a huge airstone at night 12 hours CO2 12 hours Airstone and a 10 hour photo period. How ever CO2 was my limiting factor for the plants, you may not need to run as much CO2....bubbles per second cant be counted, looks to be a solid stream...I don't even bother with bubble counter refills except during water changes it evaporates with in a weeks time, so every other week it gets refilled and I just use water.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
foster
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

Thanks everyone. I will keep uping it. The checker was green last night, now refuses to go green again
foster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.