Fert question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Fishboy08
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Fishboy08

Fert question

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has discovered or had sucess with any household products that can be used as ferts? I don't, but I figured that since this is a low tech forum I figured I'd ask... I know every one says to get some Greg Watson ferts and such, but I am a little short on cash right now (I know, I know.. They aren't very expensive), but I really need to conserve some $$...
So any ideas???
Fishboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

For nitrates you can use Greenlight Stump Remover, which is potassium nitrate, and it is available at hardware stores. (When I last checked it was about $4 a package, as I recall.) For phosphates you can use Fleet Enema, but make sure it is not a mineral oil based enema. The ingredients will all be phosphates of some sort, plus some preservative. The Stump Remover provides the potassium also, so all that is lacking is micro nutrients. That is the tough part. The two products above will cost almost as much as Greg Watson's fertilizers, so don't look for a big savings.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Fishboy08
Planted Member

Yeah I wasn't planning on actually going out and buying those, I was hoping for something I already had in the house.. And, I do believe I actually have some of that stump remover in the garage. I am going to go check to make sure !!!!!

As for micros, won't dosing flourish take care of that? I am also getting ready to toss in around 5-10 endler fry so there will be some fish activity also..
Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishboy08
Yeah I wasn't planning on actually going out and buying those, I was hoping for something I already had in the house.. And, I do believe I actually have some of that stump remover in the garage. I am going to go check to make sure !!!!!

As for micros, won't dosing flourish take care of that? I am also getting ready to toss in around 5-10 endler fry so there will be some fish activity also..
Over the long run getting a Lb. of CSM from Greg will be cheaper then using any Seachem product. Now it all depends on your tank how it was set up ect ect. If you have soil in the substrate there would be less need for water column ferts. Also depends on what your growing with how much light.

I keep dosing Fleet since each time I've sent in an order to Mr. Watson I keep forgetting PO4.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Fishboy08
Planted Member

Yes I know that Mr Watson is much cheaper than seachem. But, when I got the tank setup at first, I hadn't known about Mr Watson's website, so I bout Flourish and Excel..

My substrate is sand. (there is nothing in it, it is clean).

I am growing:
Multiple stems of Asian Ambulia
Anubias barteri
Crypt. sp. Red Wendtii
Dwarf Sag
HM (thinking about taking it out)
A Najas sp.
and Java moss