Marineland HOT Magnum Canister Filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
jbarnes0916

PTrader: (0/0%)

Marineland HOT Magnum Canister Filter

Looking into buying one for 46g planted tank with fish. May use as supplemental filtration/water polishing along with Marineland Penguin BIO-wheel 200 power filter or as primary filtration. Anyone using this specific filter? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Looking for concerns about difficulty of maintenance, cost of operation, efficiency (especially for aquatic plants), noise level, etc.
jbarnes0916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Fishermike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I used one for awhile that came with a tank that I bought used on CL. Not a fan, personally, for a number of reasons: media choices are limited, at best; the canister doesn't hold much media for it's size; servicing is a pain compared to other canisters; not as easy to restrict the flow or use a spray bar.

I actually worked at, and was eventually a partner in, several LFS back in the day, and used to service customer's tanks as well as the ones in the store. Always hated Magnums, compared to Eheims and Fluvals. Never would've had one on a personal tank if it hadn't been part of the package deal. Replaced long since. (Tank happens to be in daughter's room, so I went with dual AQ50s to make life easy for me, and eliminate the possibility of her disconnecting a hose on a canister and draining the tank! Still prefer canisters overall.)
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have one and use it for polishing the water (usually after a re-scape). Works great for this purpose, but I would not consider using it for a primary biological filter. Numerous better choices out there for that. They are a bit louder than most other filters. No versatility as previous post mentions.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The return isn't very adjustable, a nuisance. There is very little room for media. I use mine in the quarantine tank or temporary shelter tank from my rescaping with a standard prefilter sponge on the intake as media rather than try to use media inside. It has been very reliable, no odd noises, easy to clean out and start up.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I bought one many years ago when it first came out. I wouldn't use it as a primary filter or get the bio wheel attachment. However I can say I still use it, non-stop since I got it, never any issues, same impeller but inside the media canister I use matrix for biological with the foam pad over it as a mechanical filter and works good as an additional fixture. The bio wheel has proven to be kind of crap with study's. If you want to Polish your water a UV and just pillow stuffing in a filter is good enough.

It is quiet for sure, monthly maintenance. When I first got it used the micron filter and would vacuum the tank by shoving the syphon hose up the intake. Worked great like that but clean the micron via bleach water method got annoying. Has strong flow. If you have just a few small fish I think matrix in the media basket would be enough as a primary but if you want some stock I would say no.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
I have one and use it for polishing the water (usually after a re-scape). Works great for this purpose, but I would not consider using it for a primary biological filter. Numerous better choices out there for that. They are a bit louder than most other filters. No versatility as previous post mentions.
I, too, have one for polishing. I agree with dx. There are Better picks for filtering then the magnum.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

only one downside: the canister should be bigger.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have one, in use since 2009, now the sole filtration on a 46G.

It's quiet, reliable, and gets the job done. However, I do agree more or less with all the above critiques. It certainly requires cleaning more often than I'd prefer due to the limited media capacity. Nothing so bad that I'm rushing out to replace it, but if it died, I would look around for other options.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Manegy
Algae Grower

The HOT Magnum does have a strong flow, I use an emperor 400 for primary filtration and the magnum runs while vacuuming and in 30 minute increments throughout the day. The Magnum is louder then the emperor and my tank is in my bedroom and neither bother me I like the white noise. As stated above there aren't many options for the media your pretty much stuck with the water polishing micro filter or whatever you can fit into the small media basket. make sure you keep up with all the parts when changing between filters and use the filter sleeve at all times. If the Magnum makes a lot of noise while running check your water level and see that it is over the bend in the elbow for the magnum return.
Manegy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
steveo
Algae Grower

Use a Fluval 306 canister as my main filter on my 56 gallon tank. Purchased a Hot Magnum for polishing, using the pleated micron cartridge. It works great for this purpose and wouldn't want to be without it. It's noisier then my canister, partly because it hangs out in the open on the tank.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
canister, filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.